You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-14 00:08:45

wdirksen

Mysql mariadb ver 10 not working with mythconverg [SOLVED]

This is a query to see if there are others with this problem. I recently updated pacman including mariadb and systemd etc to find out it was the new mariadb version 10 causing the problem. I'm back to previous 5.5 version. I can't reproduce systemd status anymore as I don't want to go back to version 10 of death, but this is the low down:

1) The systemd startup of mariadb fails with no specific information, it just enters failed state
2) I tried to follow the directions in pacman install message but since mariadb fails, I cannot perform the mysql_upgrade -p
3) Reverted other updated packages to older ones, including systemd and filesystem but it still fails
4) I tried to start mariadb ver 10 manually with similar fail messages
5) Fiddled with my.cnf a bit but to no avail
6) I went back to 5.5 and still failed and I became scared
7) I removed all files (not directories) in /var/lib/mysql and rebooted
8) Mysqld then came up normally and works fine, Sigh.

The only mysql db I'm using (I think) is mythconverg; the mythtv main database. I did not try to restart ver 10 blank with no database previously installed.
I wondering if there is a fix or this is a sign that new versions of mariadb will be incompatible with MythTV.

Thanks,

EDIT: The rest of the packages have been reupdated with no issues

Last edited by wdirksen (2014-07-18 05:26:32)

Research | Trial | Make Mistakes | Ask questions | Learn | Repeat

#2 2014-07-14 16:47:41

KairiTech

Re: Mysql mariadb ver 10 not working with mythconverg [SOLVED]

wdirksen wrote:

2) I tried to follow the directions in pacman install message but since mariadb fails, I cannot perform the mysql_upgrade -p

Did you also try to "... dump the tables before upgrading and reloading the dump file afterwards." as recommended in the news on Arch's home page? If you did then maybe there is some incompaitbility because my recent install of mythtv 1:0.27-8 and mariadb 10.0.12-1 seems to work out of the box.

Last edited by KairiTech (2014-07-14 16:49:09)

#3 2014-07-14 17:47:30

eta-carinae

I didn't have any problems with the mariadb upgrade.  I'm using mythtv-git from the AUR, which builds against the 0.27 fixes branch.

I'd also recommend trying a dump/reload, though personally I just updated and ran mysql_upgrade.  This is on a month-old system with XBMC, MythTV, ownCloud, and phpMyAdmin databases.

#4 2014-07-15 05:00:08

wdirksen

Thanks KairiTech and eta-carinae,
I forgot the obvious to check the Arch news. If you guys have it working then I'll look more.

#5 2014-07-15 05:08:47

wdirksen

eta-carinae wrote:

I didn't have any problems with the mariadb upgrade.  I'm using mythtv-git from the AUR, which builds against the 0.27 fixes branch.

I'd also recommend trying a dump/reload, though personally I just updated and ran mysql_upgrade.  This is on a month-old system with XBMC, MythTV, ownCloud, and phpMyAdmin databases.

Apart from mariadb 10.0, So you also have a functioning recent build of mythtv-git working with recent Arch? Newer GIT packages haven't been working with Arch Linux for months for many of us. This is also the reason why mythtv 1:0.27-8 hasn't been updated since April, I presume. Strange. My ArchLinux setup is also new as I re-formated and re-installed a month ago but still no go on newer MythTV 0.27 GIT versions. I am using mythconverg db that is 2 years old but optimized and seems to be healthy.

#6 2014-07-15 05:59:34

robin67

I am using the standard community version of Mythtv 0.27-8 and did not have any problems.

I did follow the instruction of the latest news and so did make a dump first, then updated, ran "mysql_upgrade" and finally restored the dumpfile.
Doing so gave me no errors and no issues ;-)

#7 2014-07-15 21:42:43

eta-carinae

wdirksen wrote:
eta-carinae wrote:

Apart from mariadb 10.0, So you also have a functioning recent build of mythtv-git working with recent Arch? Newer GIT packages haven't been working with Arch Linux for months for many of us. This is also the reason why mythtv 1:0.27-8 hasn't been updated since April, I presume. Strange. My ArchLinux setup is also new as I re-formated and re-installed a month ago but still no go on newer MythTV 0.27 GIT versions. I am using mythconverg db that is 2 years old but optimized and seems to be healthy.

Yes, I believe it worked without modification for me.  I say "believe" because I've made a bunch of changes to it since, removing the explicit git handling in favor of the built-in makepkg git handling, disabling the mythtv logserver (which I find very annoying and is now deprecated anyway), and adding a pkgver() function.  But other than modifying the systemd service file I don't recall making any changes to my initial install.

I should add this is running on a headless backend, so I haven't used mythfrontend to watch recordings or live TV.  I have run both mythtv-setup and mythfronted over a ssh connection with the display forwarded to do setup chores, though, and didn't have any problems.  Also, the only plugins I've used are mytharchive, for which I hacked together an ugly PKGBUILD, and mythweb.

#8 2014-07-16 05:49:12

wdirksen

Related to this. I can't do a dump with mariadb 5.7 beforehand. Getting this:

mysqldump exited with status: 2
mysqldump output:
mysqldump: Got error: 1146: "Table 'mythconverg.archiveitems' doesn't exist" when using LOCK TABLES

[mythtv@server ~]$

After doing

sudo mysqlcheck -A --auto-repair -u root -p

I discovered that not just archiveitems was "non existant" but all mythplugin related tables are empty. Wow, I do backups once a week and just 5 days ago it went fine. When did this go wrong I'm wondering?
I guess it's time to lose 5 days of recorded TV but I'd like to know what caused this to begin with.

Last edited by wdirksen (2014-07-16 06:11:22)

#9 2014-07-18 05:26:06

wdirksen

Got this resolved and will mark as solved. The broken mythplugin parts of mythconverg were causing all the failure issues and I was able to remove these empty tables without losing the rest of the data. I reinstalled mariadb from scratch, zcat mythconverg, and all is good.

I tried newer mythtv package from GIT without plugins, ver 27.3-83 I believe but still a no go here. I guess I don't have eta-carinae's luck. Will try again without logging built.

Board footer