You are not logged in.

#4101 2014-08-05 17:46:00

markd81

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi there, my name is Mark and I'm from the Netherlands. I've been using Linux for some years now and tried a lot of different distributions. The distribution I worked with for the longest time was Debian. I changed to Arch because of the control I now have over my computer and the amount of excellent documentation.

#4102 2014-08-06 06:58:01

MafiaJoe

Hello Arch Forums!

Proud owner of a new (vmware) Arch Linux installation. smile

New to linux, had it for around 8 months and proud to say I uninstalled Windows, and to a bigger FU to Gates, I installed Debian on my other HDD too. lol.

I hope to learn a lot about Arch and the fundamentals of Linux in General and how it functions. smile

see ya all around.

#4103 2014-08-06 23:12:02

kristoffer.paulsson

Hi Arch FOrum!

My name is Kristoffer.

Grew up with macintosh, learned DOS at about twelve. Used MacOS X, and after that Windows and Linux in parallell. However the last ten years I have used linux now and then. But hopefully I can soon go linux fulltime with arch. Still evaluating some things.

#4104 2014-08-07 12:25:52

drcouzelis
Website

kristoffer.paulsson wrote:

But hopefully I can soon go linux fulltime with arch. Still evaluating some things.

Let us know if you need help learning how to do something in Arch Linux that you know how to do in another operating system. smile

#4105 2014-08-10 10:51:22

Dyspareunia

Greetings,

I've been using linux for a while now, on and off as a kid and more now into adult hood. I've typically been a Debian type, but since I find myself on the Arch wiki more and more I thought it would be worth a try.

I'd like to thank everyone who maintains the Arch wiki, it's an amazing resource! Using the beginners guide I was able to install Arch error free on the first try. I have Gnome installed everything is working quite well!

Rob

#4106 2014-08-10 11:28:25

matman

Hi, Iam Mateusz from Poland. I've been using Linux as my primary OS for 3 years now. Pretty typical way I guess: Ubuntu -> Mint -> Debian and now Arch. I absolutely love the concept, and the Arch way. The system is fast and I am using it with XFCE, so really happy about the speed and configuration options. I came accross some dificulties, but that just makes me want to learn more ! Cheers!

#4107 2014-08-11 17:25:47

daemon

Hello.

I'm new to Linux, and Arch is my first distro. I've been told that's a terrible idea and that I'm crazy, but I also learn very quickly and find 'jumping blindly into the deep end' to be my preferred method of... well, just about everything. Best way to learn is by doing.

I love it. I've learned a lot, and the wiki is superb. Been working on editing config files to make my setup look nice [using WMFS2 [standalone], though I'm curious about using awesome, and I love ratpoison, too], and just learning whatever I can through experimentation. If something sounds interesting and useful to me, I'm going to try it. Basically, I'm doing a lot of learning and exploring and having a blast. No problems or anything so far, though I'm always up for new challenges if one happens to arise. wink

Just wanted to say hello. I'm quite the lurker, but just in case...

#4108 2014-08-11 17:39:09

SanskritFritz
Website

Welcome to Arch Linux. Honestly I've never heard of anyone trying Arch as a first distro. Congratulations!

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#4109 2014-08-11 19:32:02

Fallere825

Well, hello there everyone.
I'm Joschua, living in Germany. I really have to thank all those awesome people who helped me getting Arch installed, not only on my own laptop, but also on all the PCs in my school. (finally no winXP anymore, yeah)

For background, I was a windows user for pretty much all my life, until I got a raspberry Pi for Christmas. I intended to only use it as a media server, but after I used raspian (raspberry debian port), I wanted more. Tried pretty much every mainstream distro (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSuse, Mint, debian) but none of those had all the things I wanted. Then my teacher gave me an old German magazine, which included arch on a cd. Now I can finally have all the things I want!

Later, I showed my teacher what my raspberry (using Arch by then) could do, he asked me if I could make all our schools pcs run like that (we only have REALLY outdated stuff, like 1Ghz single cores, 256Mb ram and such stuff) as WIndows really getting on everyone's nerves. All 16 pcs running like a boss for a month now, all using Arch.

I still have to learn many things, regarding Linux and arch, but also about programming and computers in general. I hope I won't go on everyone's nerves with all those questions I (most likely) will ask tongue

There are no bad questions in this world, because with every answered question humanity grows a bit.
And if all questions would be answered, we'd be living in an awesome world.

#4110 2014-08-11 23:17:38

hw4ng3r

Greetings Arch Forum!

Jason from Ontario, Canada. Had a little taste of Linux way back in the 90's with Mandrake. Software I used for school and games was all Windows based so left Linux. Been using Ubuntu and Linux Mint for the past 6 months. Decided to migrate over to Arch Linux. Got the base install down but now in the process of customizing Openbox.

#4111 2014-08-14 05:03:16

genEric

Hi all,

Thought I should post my hello-post… My name i s Eric (Sweden), hence my forum name. ^^ First contact I had with Arch was at the web host I'm using. They had all Arch servers (now using RH), and I really liked Arch when I started to read more about it. Have used a few installations since then for different things. Normally, and as my main computer, I'm using Mac, always have. And haven't “switched” to anything, though I have had a couple of test PC's to test sites and for 1 Windows program. Using VirtualBox for that one now. Anyway… OS X have taken some turns and moved into a new direction (over the past few years), which I don't like, so I've decided to stay on the version I'm running now - eventually going 1 version up - but then it's over. smile Will still continue to use it, and the day it gets to old'ish I guess I'll have to take it offline and use it to work on, and no internet activities. So, the plan now is to get a new desktop computer up and running later, and tweak it into my new main computer. At the moment I have a laptop with Arch on (yes, including intel heat issues)... and in VBox. Also having a RaspberryPi laying around that I planned to install Arch on. We're getting fibre here soon (I hope), so the plan for that one is to make a web/mail-server of it to run from home.

A small (ongoing/half sleeping) side project I have. I got hold of 2 old PC's, same chassi and simular hardware (P4, ATI). And I've installed Arch/Xfce/Slim  on one, and when finished I'll clone it to the other. They are for my brothers 2 kids who are about to start school. Thought it would be nice to let them have something to manage their home work on.

And (retroactively) thanks for all great forum posts, and a great Wiki.

· Eric

[genEric@…] ~$

#4112 2014-08-14 17:14:22

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome!

genEric wrote:

OS X have taken some turns and moved into a new direction (over the past few years), which I don't like

I haven't been following Mac OS X in the past few years, but I do love talking about operating systems. What has changed that you don't like? (Keeping in mind that it's against forum policy to bash operating systems. Unless it's Arch Linux.) wink

#4113 2014-08-15 00:20:47

genEric

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome!
What has changed that you don't like? (Keeping in mind that it's against forum policy to bash operating systems. Unless it's Arch Linux.) wink

Thanks! No, no bashing. ^^ It's still a great OS, it self. Well, there are many small things/changes over time now. Removing/hiding things. And a big part of my dissatisfaction, is also the (ongoing) “iOSification”, and the change of focus on user groups (consumer > prosumer > pro). There's also a tendency to not only (sand)boxing apps, but also behaviour/usage. Things like that. ...and of course: Pacman is nicer to use, than compiling from source. wink

[genEric@…] ~$

#4114 2014-08-17 19:51:24

pedrogabriel

Hello, ArchForum,
My name is Pedro Gabriel, and I'm a brazilian student.
I use linux since 2012 with no regrets.
Your wiki is amazing!!

#4115 2014-08-17 20:19:44

tzoi516

Hi. I'm a BSD guy, but Arch Linux works great on my Haswell laptop with EFI and drive encryption. I used to like Linux Mint but the Canonical security issues turned me off, and I didn't want the bloat associated with other distros. Thanks to Arch to be minimal.

#4116 2014-08-17 22:25:32

matkin

Hello,
I have to admit that arch is not my first choice. I wanted to use NixOS but I got stuck at very simple things (I had for example great problems installing jUnit) and then I decided to change to a distribution that is better documented so I can learn more about Linux in general. I looked for a distribution that needs to be understand and maintained very well and that leaves a lot of possibilities up to you. That's why I chose Arch.

#4117 2014-08-17 23:54:22

skyux.MrB.ar

Hi everyone, I´m archlinux user since a few years ago. I installed archlinux on different machines without problem a lot of time. But, some times, something is wrong. I have trouble with a graphic card Radeon HD 7520G notebook Acer V3 551 7426 since a few months. Xorg say: this machine is a bad toy, you need to buy a real stuff. I will follow "fighting", (read) ^ read. Forum and wiki are important contributions to linux world. Thanks.

#4118 2014-08-18 05:38:15

somearchfan

Over the course of 5 weeks I've tried numerous distributions and I've always gone back to Arch. It is by far the greatest distro and wiki in the whole universe.

Last edited by somearchfan (2014-08-18 05:38:39)

#4119 2014-08-18 06:37:17

arrow

HELLO!

I'm Gabriel, and I'm from Venezuelan. This is the second time I've installed arch, but the first one in my own pc. I've been using Linux since 3 years ago. Debian was the dist I had all these years, except for Ubuntu, wich I had the firsts 4 months.

I got Arch 3 days ago, and this is the first time I join to a Linux community, and I did it because... maybe we don't know each other, but I already feel part of the family.

Great community here. Thanks in advance for all help, and I hope I can give you back mine!!!

#4120 2014-08-18 07:05:50

quequotion
Website

tzoi516 wrote:

Hi. I'm a BSD guy, but Arch Linux works great on my Haswell laptop with EFI and drive encryption. I used to like Linux Mint but the Canonical security issues turned me off, and I didn't want the bloat associated with other distros. Thanks to Arch to be minimal.

Welcome to (Arch)linux! Have you tried Archbsd? I don't really know much about BSD, but it sounds like a good combination.

#4121 2014-08-18 12:46:28

nomorewindows

quequotion wrote:
tzoi516 wrote:

Welcome to (Arch)linux! Have you tried Archbsd? I don't really know much about BSD, but it sounds like a good combination.

None of the *BSDs have EFI implementations yet, FreeBSD is about to release theirs.  Probably could chainload from Arch's?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4122 2014-08-18 23:42:25

tzoi516

nomorewindows wrote:
quequotion wrote:
tzoi516 wrote:

None of the *BSDs have EFI implementations yet, FreeBSD is about to release theirs.  Probably could chainload from Arch's?

Had to rebuild my system with BIOS GRUB2 because I couldn't boot again after a couple reboots.

I tried ArchBSD, and I agree the idea of it sounds awesome, but I couldn't get Xorg working - BSD has a way to go with Haswell/Optimus architecture.

#4123 2014-08-19 04:16:39

quequotion
Website

tzoi516 wrote:

I tried ArchBSD, and I agree the idea of it sounds awesome, but I couldn't get Xorg working - BSD has a way to go with Haswell/Optimus architecture.

Hopefully it will get there someday!

Had to rebuild my system with BIOS GRUB2 because I couldn't boot again after a couple reboots.

I've also had trouble getting efi to work (with fakeRAID), but not since switching to gummiboot. I no longer trust GRUB; since switching to gummiboot I haven't had to mess with the boot loader for over a year now.

#4124 2014-08-19 04:34:24

janepe

Hello, green spiders.

#4125 2014-08-19 12:46:19

drcouzelis
Website

Hello! smile

janepe wrote:

Hello, green spiders.

Is this a translation error? Or am I just getting old? wink