You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-26 19:23:30

jantonio2992

Baby steps onto enterprise administration at home

Hello,

First of all, i apologise is this isn't the best sub-forum to post this, and also if this is very vague.

So, I've been using GNU/Linux since 2008 so for 6 years now, done the normal distro hopping (Debian, Ubuntu/Mint, Fedora, Slackware probably not on that order) and finally stopped at arch(tried Gentoo and LFS but came back). I'm not a Guru, nor a perfect sys admin, tough i can write my own scripts(bash or python usually, actually I'm currently writing my own install script for arch), as well as administrating a couple of arch boxes(CUPS networked, Git backups), i think i could manage a small network and I've been know to do some package compiling. What i mean is that, even not knowing much i think i can do something.

Now, I would like to go a bit deeper in the administration of a network of Linux boxes but trying to simulate the needs of a small enterprise. I've done a little bit of search and I've seen that i could start with getting some servers up, do some clustering(i think this is the harder part), manage some databases, set up a NAS and do some virtualization.

If anyone that working in IT could give me some suggestions about what i could do that some enterprise would need i would appreciate a lot. 

Given that i don't have that many boxes to set this network, could i set the servers as virtual machines(is that what virtualization is?), also, could anyone explain me how could i replicate the mechanism in Linux that a user logs in but the authentication is done from a login server? I've seen this done on Windows(at school) but since i don't know the name of this i could never search it to replicate it.

I apologise if something is hard to understand but my mother tongue isn't English.

Thank you for any help(even RTM)

#2 2014-08-27 07:49:54

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Baby steps onto enterprise administration at home

jantonio2992 wrote:

...also, could anyone explain me how could i replicate the mechanism in Linux that a user logs in but the authentication is done from a login server? I've seen this done on Windows(at school) but since i don't know the name of this i could never search it to replicate it...

LDAP

Last edited by Slithery (2014-08-27 07:51:09)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2014-08-27 08:17:52

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Without delving too far into your specific questions, /r/homelab on Reddit is a goldmine of information for this.

#4 2014-08-27 11:12:20

Spider.007

Virtualisation is definetly what you should look into for emulating multiple machines. Have a look at virt-manager with qemu if you like a simple GUI. For databases; mariadb with gtid replication is pretty simple to setup smile

#5 2014-08-27 14:10:50

jantonio2992

Hello all,

slithery wrote:
jantonio2992 wrote:

...also, could anyone explain me how could i replicate the mechanism in Linux that a user logs in but the authentication is done from a login server? I've seen this done on Windows(at school) but since i don't know the name of this i could never search it to replicate it...

LDAP

Thank you very much, finally i can try this like I've always wanted. Is this what was used in the times of Unix that Richard Stallman spoke once on a movie, where/when he would encorage people to use as password Enter? What i gather from that movie(and i suppose this was at MIT), there would be terminals people would use to log on to a central server.

fukawi2 wrote:

Without delving too far into your specific questions, /r/homelab on Reddit is a goldmine of information for this.

thank you for the suggestion, didn't  look very far and already found something about virtualization..

Spider.007 wrote:

Virtualisation is definetly what you should look into for emulating multiple machines. Have a look at virt-manager with qemu if you like a simple GUI. For databases; mariadb with gtid replication is pretty simple to setup smile

I'll have to try it because I've only used virtualbox and VMware. Is mariadb more used in the enterprise world than MySql? I have already used MySql and Sql, and i wouldn't mind learning mariadb(or any other), but would prefer to learn one database query language that is more widely used.

Again I apologise if my English isn't the best, and thank you very much again.

#6 2014-08-28 00:29:35

Pse

I'll have to try it because I've only used virtualbox and VMware. Is mariadb more used in the enterprise world than MySql? I have already used MySql and Sql, and i wouldn't mind learning mariadb(or any other), but would prefer to learn one database query language that is more widely used.

MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL.

Last edited by Pse (2014-08-28 00:30:00)

#7 2014-08-28 20:10:47

jantonio2992

Pse wrote:

MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL.

That's right, I knew that but for some reason(maybe answering after getting home from work smile ) i forgot, and then i couldn't answer. So the database query languages mostly used on the *nix world is MySql/MariaDB?

Board footer