You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-15 21:38:39

volumetricsteve
Website

Old versions of arch?

Right to the point, I'm looking for old versions of arch linux for download.
I have a pentium 3 system I'm trying to get it to load onto, and for whatever reason, the most recent version doesn't seem to like some of my hardware and I wondered if an older version might play nicer with it?

#2 2014-09-15 21:46:20

TheSaint

Re: Old versions of arch?

For my brother I found Mandriva 10.1 big_smile
But for Arch I wonder to find all you need. Arch was/is Internet based distro, hardly we can find a site that maintains 6 or more years old.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#3 2014-09-15 21:57:04

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Haven't seen older installers out there... the oldest kernel in Arch is as you likely know, 3.14.x series (lts) so if that is too new, you're hosed unless you wanna compile/maintain your own+modules optionally.  Maybe you're better off troubleshooting the boot error using the 2014.09.03 image?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2014-09-15 22:09:53

TheSaint

Just try a live and see if it's working.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#5 2014-09-15 23:50:07

drcouzelis
Website

I'm sorry, there's no such thing as an old version of Arch Linux. Only the "now" version. smile

#6 2014-09-16 00:00:01

volumetricsteve
Website

guh, poop, I thought that would be the case.

well....my situation seems localized to the sata_sil driver, which I know works in the 2.6.x kernel

can I:

fix it (scary question, how?)

or

roll back my kernel to 2.6? (also how?)

Thanks!

Edit:

I had no idea how many responses this had received!  Thanks, folks.  Other live CDs work fine (such as SliTaz, running kernel 2.6.32)  Arch much be running the newest kernel of all the distros I've got floating around...it seems like some other people using silicon image sata adapters after 2.6.32 have similar issues...

Last edited by volumetricsteve (2014-09-16 00:02:10)

#7 2014-09-16 00:45:11

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

While 2.6 is still supported by kernel.org, there's no straightforward way to use it in Arch. The userland (namely, systemd) depends on recent kernel versions. So you can either try to use a different Init (the older kernel may still not work) or fix your driver issues. But if you've identified the driver issue, start researching. tongue

Last edited by Alad (2014-09-16 00:45:59)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#8 2014-09-16 00:48:52

volumetricsteve
Website

yeah, I'm thinking fixing it might be best..for everyone...I'm surprised this is an issue, because after doing some googling, the sata_sil driver has broken with a LOT of kernel updates.  My problem now is I've never fixed a linux driver in my life and I don't even know where to start.  Furthermore this isn't the only pci device in my system that failed to start with arch-linux, I have a usb controller that produced similar errors in my boot logs.  sad

#9 2014-09-16 03:05:40

ewaller
Administrator

volumetricsteve wrote:

My problem now is I've never fixed a linux driver in my life and I don't even know where to start.

It is not for the feint of heart.  But this is where you should begin this journey

I've no association with that site aside from my indebtedness for the excellent resource.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2014-09-16 14:36:30

volumetricsteve
Website

This looks as valuable as it does intimidating.   I'm looking forward to the learning experience but....dayuuum.  This might turn into a github project, I predict.  If anyone out there has specific pointers or wants to help out, please feel free to reach me here or email volumetricsteve at gmail

#11 2014-09-16 15:09:06

nomorewindows

You could fill a bug with the kernel developers. 
If you just want to use the machinery, and you have other Arch installations that work without the crappy sata drivers, you could just boot the old P3's over diskless nfs root.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#12 2014-09-16 15:22:19

alphaniner

Any options in the BIOS for configuring the SATA controller?

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#13 2014-09-16 16:16:35

volumetricsteve
Website

nomorewindows wrote:

You could fill a bug with the kernel developers. 
If you just want to use the machinery, and you have other Arch installations that work without the crappy sata drivers, you could just boot the old P3's over diskless nfs root.

I wondered about doing this, actually.  I just got back from lunch and upon stuffing my face with nachos, it occurred to me I might want to reel it in a bit and see if there's a solution other than fixing the driver manually.  Would I just go to kernel.org to report a bug or is there something arch-specific I should do?

I see what you mean about the diskless booting, but that doesn't fit with my long-term project, which requires local booting.

alphaminer wrote:

Any options in the BIOS for configuring the SATA controller?

Not many, actually.  It's an adaptec 1210sa which is essentially a long-life software raid card, or jbod card.  My application doesn't really need raid, so I'm just using it for jbod purposes.   Other linux distros have been playing with it nicely, all with older kernels..I'm fairly certain.

Board footer