You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-04 19:19:07

devinmcelheran

Touch Screen Tweaks in Gnome Shell

After scouring Google looking for ways to make Gnome Shell more touchscreen friendly I've only come across what features already are touchscreen friendly.

I've found that my touchscreen doesn't respond sometimes, it seems to move the cursor to the tapper location, but doesn't 'click.' I've noticed that not all applications support tap and drag scrolling, too.

Is there a way, not necessarily a single solution, to get more out of my touchscreen in Gnome Shell? I'm running on a Lenovo Yoga 2 11. I've heard of switching to the wacom driver as opposed to the evdev one can help out, but I don't know anything about this stuff.

I'm happy to provide any information about my system, but at this point I don't know how to find any more information that might help.

Thanks.

#2 2014-12-04 20:22:22

starbreaker
Website

Re: Touch Screen Tweaks in Gnome Shell

Hi, devin. Have you tried looking at this thread on GNOME 3.14 touchscreen issues?

Matthew Graybosch
matthewgraybosch.com (personal) | starbreakerseries.com (my epic SF series)
"I ain't got a drinking problem. I got a doing stupid shit when I'm drunk problem." --Edmund Cohen

#3 2014-12-04 21:46:33

devinmcelheran

I came across that one, but unfortunately it didn't have anything of help, the original poster's problem was with the on-screen keyboard automatically popping up despite is physical keyboard.

I'm looking more for something that'll give me some gestures like swipe scrolling and pinch zoom, but realistically I'm looking for something that'll make the whole touch experience a little more responsive. Like I had mentioned, sometimes the cursor is only moved and there isn't any action committed when I tap on anything. I'm not so much looking for a wealth of features, just a few ways to expand. Being able to disable my trackpad and keyboard when I fold the laptop into tablet mode would be nice as well, if that's even possible.

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

#4 2014-12-04 21:55:46

starbreaker
Website

devinmcelheran wrote:

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

You're welcome. Also, on the off-chance that you haven't seen these, the Arch Wiki has some pages related to X.org and touchscreens. Since X handles the display, and GNOME creates the UI on top of the X display, it might be that GNOME doesn't give you the functionality you want because "it isn't GNOME's job".

Arch Wiki: Touchscreen
Arch Wiki: Calibrating Touchscreen

Matthew Graybosch
matthewgraybosch.com (personal) | starbreakerseries.com (my epic SF series)
"I ain't got a drinking problem. I got a doing stupid shit when I'm drunk problem." --Edmund Cohen

#5 2014-12-04 22:19:52

devinmcelheran

Yeah, those seem to be more about drivers and calibration than features. I wish there was a more aggregated source for information about this stuff.

Board footer