You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-03 17:08:38

dominicm

Can't install AUR packages(makepkg: invalid option '--asroot')[SOLVED]

I've been unable to install any AUR packages with either packer or yaourt since a couple days ago possibly after a system update.

For example if I try to install kodi-standalone-service:

sudo packer -S kodi-standalone-service

(Type - y, n, n)

makepkg: invalid option '--asroot'
The build failed.

This happens to all packages I tried including ones that I installed  before with the same command. I installed yaourt after I started to get this error but fails just like packer. I tried running as root or normal user with same results.

In case it matters, these are the steps I used to install packer.

I am at a loss as to why it suddenly stopped working, any ideas?

Last edited by dominicm (2015-01-04 01:41:15)

#2 2015-01-03 17:13:01

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Can't install AUR packages(makepkg: invalid option '--asroot')[SOLVED]

The --asroot option has been removed from makepkg, which you would know if you searched the forum before posting...

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191635

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2015-01-03 17:13:55

Scimmia
Fellow

stop using sudo.

#4 2015-01-03 17:38:31

dominicm

slithery wrote:

The --asroot option has been removed from makepkg, which you would know if you searched the forum before posting...

I googled the error with no relevant results, then I searched the forum to make sure it wasn't solved with no relevant results returned for the search term "makepkg: invalid option '--asroot')". It's ironic that you accused me of not searching when you haven't bothered to search the error message yourself. If you had you would know the search does not return useful results until this post.

#5 2015-01-03 17:42:41

dominicm

Scimmia wrote:

stop using sudo.

I thought you were just being kinda rude and just pointing out my unnecessary use of sudo, but It seems that was the cause of the error. You should just say sudo was the cause of the error smile  In any case my issue is solved. Thanks!

#6 2015-01-03 17:47:07

Slithery
Administrator

dominicm wrote:
slithery wrote:

I googled the error with no relevant results, then I searched the forum to make sure it wasn't solved with no relevant results returned for the search term "makepkg: invalid option '--asroot')". It's ironic that you accused me of not searching when you haven't bothered to search the error message yourself. If you had you would know the search does not return useful results until this post.

Sorry, I only searched for --asroot which brought up several relevant threads.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#7 2015-01-03 17:51:59

dominicm

slithery wrote:
dominicm wrote:
slithery wrote:

Sorry, I only searched for --asroot which brought up several relevant threads.

No big deal, but in general you shouldn't post things like "search the forum" as it's rarely helpful, and when it is the thread should probably be closed it those cases anyways... smile

#8 2015-01-04 00:31:35

karol
Archivist

dominicm wrote:

in general you shouldn't post things like "search the forum" as it's rarely helpful

I disagree, it's incredible how often a quick internet search reveals the answer.

Please remember to mark the thread as solved https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

#9 2015-01-04 01:39:08

dominicm

karol wrote:
dominicm wrote:

in general you shouldn't post things like "search the forum" as it's rarely helpful

I disagree, it's incredible how often a quick internet search reveals the answer.

Please remember to mark the thread as solved https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

When a search hasn't been performed, yes, but you achieve nothing except appearing rude when you say something like "search the forum" before you are completely sure no such search was performed. In my case I searched far and wide with little to no relevant results due to no one (until this thread) posting the full error message.

Marking it as solved, though not sure what that link has to do with this thread since it appears to be about system updating which is not my issue.

#10 2015-01-04 02:29:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Perhaps if you bothered to read the link, rather than just practisiing your sense of misguided indignation, you might have seen that it was entirely appropriate.

Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2015-01-04 03:34:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Abusing mod powers to post some for-future advice: If you make a habit of accusing everyone of being rude simply for posting the exact information you need to solve your problems, you'll quickly find that there is no one left to think you are worth their time.

You want to know how users here would really be rude: they'd just completely ignore you.  There are a couple of very intelligent and helpful members above who now may do just that if you post on these forums again.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer