You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-13 22:14:21

Gullible Jones

Enable UPnP on router -> strange error

This is a router problem, not a Linux problem, but here goes... If I try to enable UPnP on my router's config page, it gives me the error "Ping Result : Unknown host" and fails to enable UPnP. What's the reason for this?

#2 2006-03-14 20:38:59

Gullible Jones

Re: Enable UPnP on router -> strange error

Sorry to bump this thread, but I really need help here... You see, even when I explicitly open ports in the router's config interface, the ports don't open - applications still can't get through at all, and I'm wondering if UPnP is the only way I can get these damned ports to actually open up.

#3 2006-03-14 20:57:02

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

I have had similar problems with my adsl router, a Speedtouch 580.

I could open ports, but they were gone as soon as the router was powered down. UPnP only worked with windows XP Pro, not with arch or windows xp home.
Since the firmware for that router hasn't been updated in approx. a year and i couldn't find other people with the same problem i did some experimenting.

I found all NAPT options , both from gui and cli had this problem, EXCEPT setting a dedicated server.

Now my arch box is the dedicated server, and shorewall takes care of  everything.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2006-03-14 22:07:36

Gullible Jones

That sounds even wierder than what I've got... But I don't have a spare box to turn into a router, or the knowhow to do the configuration.

At any rate, I know the problem now... The stuff for the ping test is on the same page as the UPnP settings. If I click "Apply", it tries to run a ping test instead of changing the settings... In other words, there seems to be a firmware bug making the settings completely unchangeable. :evil:

#5 2006-03-14 23:31:35

Gullible Jones

Huh, a portscan indicates that the relevant ports are indeed open... What the hell is going on here? Can't be the router... :x

Board footer