You are not logged in.

#26 2015-03-05 20:56:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: New Installation Questions

I am now very confused by this thread.

If you intend to install an EFI system /boot will have to be FAT(32)-formatted.

I have no idea what you have done up to this point and no idea why `pacstrap` is throwing up that error.

Sorry.

#27 2015-03-05 21:08:57

Skatman88

Ok, basically I started following the install guide and had little idea what was happening. At the start I was struggling to install GRUB but it wouldn't no matter what I tried.

So in the end I started again, when doing gdisk I pressed "x" then "z". Created SDA1 and selected to format it in the BIOS file system which then became my BIOS Boot Partition. GRUB installed perfectly this time. Continued on the Beginners Guide to Install Base System which is where the trouble is at the moment.

#28 2015-03-05 21:11:19

nullified

teateawhy wrote:

Whatever complex setup you want to build, make a simple arch installation without any extras first. When you have familiarized yourself with arch you can add more complex features incrementally. Debugging is much easier when adding only one feature at a time, instead of everything at once.

You are trying to do way too much stuff at once. Every other comment you are asking about a different, unrelated problem from the one before it. I can only echo the first reply you received. Try to install a minimal install of Arch. Once you get that, you can then do it again with your desired partition setup. Then, you can move on to setting up the users and groups how you need them. You have confirmation that it can be done. But, you're not going to be able to accomplish the difficult stuff without being able to set up a basic install. The more complex aims you have for your Arch setup, the more it will expect from you beforehand.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#29 2015-03-05 21:14:42

Skatman88

I agree completely, which is simply why I'm trying to get Arch installed in the first place (the area I'm struggling with) but partitioning for when the main part is ready.

The problem I'm having at the moment is Arch will not install the base system as stated in the beginners guide. Ignore the stuff about mounting partitions for VM's as it's a completely different query to the problem I now face.

#30 2015-03-05 21:24:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Skatman88 wrote:

Created SDA1 and selected to format it in the BIOS file system which then became my BIOS Boot Partition. GRUB installed perfectly this time. Continued on the Beginners Guide to Install Base System which is where the trouble is at the moment.

You're supposed to install the base system before you install GRUB...

How did GRUB install "perfectly" if you hadn't installed a kernel image or generated an initial ramdisk?

#31 2015-03-05 21:29:44

nullified

Skatman88 wrote:

which I think was to do with me having a BIOS as opposed to UEFI

You think? When you know, let us know. But, even then, I'm going to suggest installing the most basic setup that you can. I at least need to know you can follow the beginner's guide before playing the game of guessing what else you might have done. If you do follow this advice, keep a detailed log of every command you issue so we can help to properly troubleshoot this problem if you encounter it again.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#32 2015-03-06 18:39:34

Skatman88

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Skatman88 wrote:

Created SDA1 and selected to format it in the BIOS file system which then became my BIOS Boot Partition. GRUB installed perfectly this time. Continued on the Beginners Guide to Install Base System which is where the trouble is at the moment.

You're supposed to install the base system before you install GRUB...

How did GRUB install "perfectly" if you hadn't installed a kernel image or generated an initial ramdisk?

Oh wow. How did I read that part wrong? I swear it said to install the bootloader first. I have no idea how it installed perfectly, but it did. I had no errors when I carried out either task.

I think I'll start it again.... again....

#33 2015-03-06 18:45:05

Skatman88

nullified wrote:
Skatman88 wrote:

which I think was to do with me having a BIOS as opposed to UEFI

You think? When you know, let us know. But, even then, I'm going to suggest installing the most basic setup that you can. I at least need to know you can follow the beginner's guide before playing the game of guessing what else you might have done. If you do follow this advice, keep a detailed log of every command you issue so we can help to properly troubleshoot this problem if you encounter it again.

I wont know. You see, I'm trying to learn. The whole problem with trying to learn something is because, generally, you know very little about it. So unless you only want me to ask you questions when I know exactly what I'm doing, that's not going to happen.

I'm not going to install the basic set-up to just re-install it later. I'm going to install a basic set up, then add the parts as I go. But in order to add the other parts; I need to get this part right first. I don't know why you want me to just install the basic set-up to just do it again later. It's completely counter productive.

I'll start again and create a list of everything that I'm doing. It's on another machine so I can't just copy and paste inputs and outputs. Hence why my tables are always so skewiff.

#34 2015-03-14 21:38:14

Skatman88

Good news! I may be able to get my hands on some more equipment so what I'm going to do now, is get my media server up and running again. In order to size my partitions correctly though, I could do with knowing where Plex Stores its "Data Folder" as spoken about in this clip at 7:50.

Any ideas?

I've found this page, but just wanted to confirm that this was the folder talked about in the video.

Any info would be good.

Cheers,

Skat

Last edited by Skatman88 (2015-03-14 22:15:42)

Board footer