You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-28 04:33:09

Quardah

[SOLVED] radiotray not showing up

Hello!

I managed to install radiotray via AUR (had to set LC_ALL to make it work)

Now im stuck with the program install not showing in the system tray

I'm using KDE5.

in ~/.local/share/radiotray/config.xml i tried changing the gui_engine value (as stated HERE) yet it is not changing anything.

Does anyone knows what is the next step to make it show up? (It runs in the System Activities yet doesn't show up and outputs no audio).

Thanks.

Last edited by Quardah (2015-05-30 01:29:55)

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#2 2015-05-28 04:38:02

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] radiotray not showing up

Plasma deprecated some old APIs for the tray.  I know that some apps, such as dropbox no longer function.  My guess is that radiotray uses those ancient APIs.  Do other window managers with tools like Stalonetray have the same issue?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-05-28 04:46:06

Quardah

ewaller wrote:

Plasma deprecated some old APIs for the tray.  I know that some apps, such as dropbox no longer function.  My guess is that radiotray uses those ancient APIs.  Do other window managers with tools like Stalonetray have the same issue?

Wow thanks for the very fast response.

I have not tried any other window manager yet (i have none installed at the moment)

I've been reading a lot as well and i've realized that indeed, KDE5 dropped the support for systray. Dropbox doesn't show anything in the system tray too (which i believed until today was a normal behavior)

radiotray uses the systray api but not as default it seems.. In the config file, the value was originally set to "chooser" which i believe is a wildcard that radiotray, on launch, will check which one to use. I tried setting the gui-engine value to appindicator, yet it does not work (maybe i have to activate appindicator somehow??)

Thanks for your support.

EDIT : found this as well : https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=18150.25;wap2

I'm trying the AUR method now. If it fails i'll try the manjaro repo method.

EDIT 2 : AUR method failed (as expected but i'm a lazy fat cat) which means i'll try the manjaro method.

EDIT 3 : Now this is a pain. i downloaded the libindicators straight from the repo ( http://manjaro.mirror.ac.za/stable/community/x86_64/ ) and compiled them using sudo pacman -U. It is still not working. There must be something i do not understand. This sucks really it is really starting to annoy me.

.-.

Thanks.

Last edited by Quardah (2015-05-28 05:26:54)

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#4 2015-05-28 06:22:35

kokoko3k

Manjaro is not Arch, so you won't get any support here.
Anyway you should talk to radiotray developers asking them to support the other API.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#5 2015-05-28 06:25:24

mauritiusdadd

Quardah wrote:

EDIT : found this as well : https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=18150.25;wap2

EDIT 2 : AUR method failed (as expected but i'm a lazy fat cat) which means i'll try the manjaro method.

EDIT 3 : Now this is a pain. i downloaded the libindicators straight from the repo ( http://manjaro.mirror.ac.za/stable/community/x86_64/ ) and compiled them using sudo pacman -U. It is still not working. There must be something i do not understand. This sucks really it is really starting to annoy me.

1. For the record these are the packages you need to compile libappindicator-gtk2libappindicator-gtk3 or alternatively libappindicator-sharp

2. Why did the AUR method fail? How did you compiled the packages?

3. pacman -U does not compile anything, it just install a pre-compiled binary package and that repository is for manjaro, which is a different distribution, don't expect that its packages work on Arch. Now, just to be sure, are you using Arch or Manjaro?

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-28 06:45:04)

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#6 2015-05-28 19:14:30

Quardah

mauritiusdadd wrote:
Quardah wrote:

1. For the record these are the packages you need to compile libappindicator-gtk2libappindicator-gtk3 or alternatively libappindicator-sharp

2. Why did the AUR method fail? How did you compiled the packages?

3. pacman -U does not compile anything, it just install a pre-compiled binary package and that repository is for manjaro, which is a different distribution, don't expect that its packages work on Arch. Now, just to be sure, are you using Arch or Manjaro?

Dear friend, thank you for your support.

I am using Arch indeed. As you see i am still learning a little.

It's the first time i used pacman -U, i have not read about it, and guested it would compile from a .tar.xz. Anyway, it did not work and now i don't know how to remove those packages (lol i'm bad).

The AUR method didn't fail, yaourt installed the statusnotifier package successfully. Yet it did not fix radiotray, the program still launches yet is invisible in the tray.

All the documentation i could find on radiotray was manjaro specific (manjaro uses pacman i guess?)  therefore i tried it out (since i was out of "good plans" i tried pretty much anything i found).

I'll try your technique and tell you later if it worked.

Thanks again for assisting me.

EDIT 1 : Found a way to delete the packages. Good thing pacman is a blessing to use.

EDIT 2 : 130MB T_T better be worth the shot. Actually if you don't mind me asking, why would these packages be required by KDE5 but not installed with KDE5? That's a little tricky, if they drop the support for systray they should include appindicator shouldn't they?

EDIT 3 :

Thanks mauritiusdadd you a real bro, it worked.

Alright people that did the trick, so just to wrap it up for future users landing here while googling :

If you have issues installing radiotray :

Set in /etc/environment

LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

or just choose any language, the goal here is simply to define LC_ALL to something. I don't know for the LANG variable but it worked with it therefore i'm leaving it there.

Second if you want it to show up in KDE, get the libappindicator-sharp from the AUR. It's big (about 130MB) but i guess it'll help support for other apps dropping systray support.

yaourt -S libappindicator-sharp

then start radiotray it should work without requiring any more actions.

Last edited by Quardah (2015-05-28 20:24:52)

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#7 2015-05-29 05:52:25

mauritiusdadd

I'm glad to hear that you solved your issue smile

Quardah wrote:

EDIT 2 : 130MB T_T better be worth the shot. Actually if you don't mind me asking, why would these packages be required by KDE5 but not installed with KDE5? That's a little tricky, if they drop the support for systray they should include appindicator shouldn't they?

I think it's because that packages are not required by KDE5 itself, but only by those applications that don't support yet the new StatusNotifer API.

PS: If you don't mind, please mark this thread as solved by editing the first post and prepending [SOLVED] to the title https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309.

About me - github

-- When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth -- Spock | Sherlock Holmes

#8 2015-05-30 01:49:50

Quardah

mauritiusdadd wrote:

I'm glad to hear that you solved your issue smile

Quardah wrote:

I think it's because that packages are not required by KDE5 itself, but only by those applications that don't support yet the new StatusNotifer API.

PS: If you don't mind, please mark this thread as solved by editing the first post and prepending [SOLVED] to the title https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309.

Indeed, the package seems to be required for radiotray only IF you are running KDE5 which did drop support.

I marked the thread as solved but it seems like i woke up the AUR yesterday when i posted my wrapped up troubleshooting on the subject. Feel free to comment there if you have more info.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/radiotray/

Also, what's the difference between libappindicator-sharp and the combination of libappindicator-gtk2 libappindicator-gtk3 ?? I have concerns about optimality here, as if they merge one of the two solution into dependencies it would be best to have the most optimal/supported one.

I'm also trying to add radios but it fails miserably, there is no wiki page for radiotray therefore i'm stuck at trying/failing until it works. Is there any way i can check the source code for this app? I think it would be a better approach.

Thanks again for assisting me on the issue, i really appreciate the efforts.

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

#9 2015-05-30 06:31:17

mauritiusdadd

Quardah wrote:

Also, what's the difference between libappindicator-sharp and the combination of libappindicator-gtk2 libappindicator-gtk3 ?? I have concerns about optimality here, as if they merge one of the two solution into dependencies it would be best to have the most optimal/supported one.

I'm sorry, I initially thought that libappindicator-sharp was a replacement for the other two packages, but after analysing a bit the PKGBUILDs, it seems that libappindicator-{gtk2, gtk3, sharp} is actually one split package where -gtk2 provides libappindicator for gtk2 apllications, -gtk3 provides libappindicator for gtk3 applications and -sharp provides bindings for applications written in mono. This means that, since radiotray uses pygtk,  you should use libappindicator-gtk2 to get full functionality... my fault.

Quardah wrote:

I'm also trying to add radios but it fails miserably, there is no wiki page for radiotray therefore i'm stuck at trying/failing until it works. Is there any way i can check the source code for this app? I think it would be a better approach.

If you're going to check and/or modify the source code you should use makepkg instead of yaourt: the latter, in fact, downloads the sources into a temporary directory which is cleaned after the building process, forcing you to re-download them on every rebuild. Makepkg instead, downloads and extract the sources leaving them in place: just download the PKGBUILD from the radiotray AUR page (or use an aur-helper like cower) and save it, for example, into a directory ${HOME}/radiotray. Then you can use the command

cd ${HOME}/radiotray
makepkg --nobuild

and makepkg will extract and patch the sources (you will find them in ${HOME}/radiotray/src/carlmig-radio-tray-1717a0e8c143/).

--edit: The source code is also available here https://bitbucket.org/carlmig/radio-tray/src

Last edited by mauritiusdadd (2015-05-30 06:47:52)

About me - github

#10 2015-05-30 21:28:08

Quardah

It's cool, no issues really. I still took all the libappindicator. But for official dependencies, it's better to download the minimum.

The app plays well but really is unstable, changing radio station works 50% of the time, and if you lose network for a second, sometimes it fails at stabilizing the stream back.

It's still a great app just because having a really small and easy interface in the tray for radio is a very good idea. No need for a full GUI and complicated functions. I'm eager to see the next iteration of the program.

Thanks again!

ThinkPad P16s AMD / KDE

Board footer