You are not logged in.

#676 2015-07-06 12:22:40

xanb

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I try to run opensmtpd in a chroot. When I chrooted and run smtpd, I received this:

[root@servidoret xan]# chroot  /var/corral /usr/bin/sh
/ # touch /run/smtpd.pid
/ # /usr/bin/smtpd -d
info: OpenSMTPD 5.4.6p1 starting
info: startup
smtpd: pidfile: No such file or directory
/ # warn: queue -> parent: pipe closed
warn: ca -> parent: pipe closed
warn: control -> parent: pipe closed
warn: lka -> parent: pipe closed
warn: pony -> parent: pipe closed
warn: scheduler -> queue: pipe closed

/ # 

/var/corral is my chroot directory.

Any hints? I touched /run/smtpd.pid but it does not work.

Thanks in advance,

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

#677 2015-07-06 19:55:26

nous
Website

I've experienced inconsistent behaviour with the latest consolekit and polkit-consolekit. Sometimes the "hibernate" and "suspend" options are missing from the Shut Down MATE menu, others they're present but "reboot" and "poweroff" are gone. A few times all 4 options are present. Same for "switch user" in Log Out. The cause of this is currently discussed in the github Consolekit2 issues page.

Downgrading to consolekit and polkit-consolekit from [pfkernel] seems to fix this.

#678 2015-07-14 12:14:58

jbernardo

Seems that now it is my turn to be unable to upgrade due to the libgudev/eudev-systedmdcompat conflicts, but now only for the lib32 versions:

sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 openrc-eudev is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: lib32-kmod: local (19-1) is newer than multilib (18-1)
:: Replace lib32-libappindicator with multilib/lib32-libappindicator-gtk2? [Y/n] 
:: Replace lib32-libcl with multilib/lib32-ocl-icd? [Y/n] 
:: Replace lib32-libindicator with multilib/lib32-libindicator-gtk2? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: lib32-libgudev and lib32-eudev-systemdcompat are in conflict (lib32-systemd). Remove lib32-eudev-systemdcompat? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: lib32-libgudev and lib32-eudev-systemdcompat are in conflict (lib32-systemd<221)

How can I get around this?

#679 2015-07-14 16:18:46

aaditya

jbernardo wrote:

Seems that now it is my turn to be unable to upgrade due to the libgudev/eudev-systedmdcompat conflicts, but now only for the lib32 versions:

sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 openrc-eudev is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: lib32-kmod: local (19-1) is newer than multilib (18-1)
:: Replace lib32-libappindicator with multilib/lib32-libappindicator-gtk2? [Y/n] 
:: Replace lib32-libcl with multilib/lib32-ocl-icd? [Y/n] 
:: Replace lib32-libindicator with multilib/lib32-libindicator-gtk2? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: lib32-libgudev and lib32-eudev-systemdcompat are in conflict (lib32-systemd). Remove lib32-eudev-systemdcompat? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: lib32-libgudev and lib32-eudev-systemdcompat are in conflict (lib32-systemd<221)

How can I get around this?

Hi jbernardo,

This maybe because lib32-eudev-systemdcompat may have gotten out of date.

Till the time that package is updated, you could remove it or replace it with lib32-systemd, ie:

# pacman -S lib32-systemd
# pacman -Syu

#680 2015-07-14 16:30:26

jbernardo

aaditya wrote:

Hi jbernardo,

This maybe because lib32-eudev-systemdcompat may have gotten out of date.

Till the time that package is updated, you could remove it or replace it with lib32-systemd, ie:

# pacman -S lib32-systemd
# pacman -Syu

Thank you, it indeed allowed me to update. Hopefully it won't break anything, as it is only a lib32 package.

#681 2015-07-17 01:33:28

toxygen

did something happen to the repository? I'm following the steps on systemd-free.org, after adding the repo and running pacman -Syl, followed by pacman -Ss [packages] i get.

:: Retrieving packages ...
 libdbus-1.8.18-1-x86_64                                                           133.6 KiB   343K/s 00:00 [################################################################]   5%
 sysvinit-2.88-16-x86_64                                                           134.3 KiB   139K/s 00:01 [################################################################]   5%
 eudev-systemdcompat-220-1-x86_64                                                 134.9 KiB   104K/s 00:01 [################################################################]   5%
 eudev-3.1.1-1-x86_64                                                              135.5 KiB  81.8K/s 00:02 [################################################################]   5%
 dbus-nosystemd-1.8.18-1-x86_64                                                    136.1 KiB  68.4K/s 00:02 [################################################################]   5%
 openrc-core-0.16.4-3-x86_64                                                       136.7 KiB  58.5K/s 00:02 [################################################################]   5%
 eudev-openrc-20150507-1-any                                                       137.4 KiB  48.5K/s 00:03 [################################################################]   5%
 procps-ng-nosystemd-3.3.10-1-x86_64                                               138.0 KiB  42.9K/s 00:03 [################################################################]   5%
 syslog-ng-nosystemd-3.6.2-1-x86_64                                                138.6 KiB  37.4K/s 00:04 [################################################################]   5%
(9/9) checking keys in keyring                                                                              [################################################################] 100%
(9/9) checking package integrity                                                                            [################################################################] 100%
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/sysvinit-2.88-16-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/eudev-systemdcompat-220-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/eudev-3.1.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/dbus-nosystemd-1.8.18-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openrc-core-0.16.4-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/eudev-openrc-20150507-1-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/procps-ng-nosystemd-3.3.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/syslog-ng-nosystemd-3.6.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (checksum)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (checksum))
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

if i just pacman -Syy, and then try pacman -Sw, this happens

acman -Sw sysvinit openrc-core eudev eudev-openrc eudev-systemdcompat dbus-nosystemd procps-ng-nosystemd syslog-ng-nosystemd
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/openrc-eudev.db: Unrecognized archive format
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/sync/openrc-eudev.db: Unrecognized archive format

if i download the openrc-eudev.db.tar.gz from the sourceforge page, and rename to openrc-eudev.db, then pacman -Sy/-Sw work, but i get the original error again (packages corrupted).

this is happening on two computers, both currently on arch/kde/no major changes.  anyone know what's happening?

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#682 2015-07-17 06:10:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Currently sourceforge is down, was having same issue yesterday. Hopefully normal service will resume shortly.

Mr Green

#683 2015-07-19 03:59:38

toxygen

Mr Green wrote:

Currently sourceforge is down, was having same issue yesterday. Hopefully normal service will resume shortly.

ok thanks, i've managed to download the packages from sourceforge and use local rep to install and configure

i'm about to start reading the thread but any tips on getting wpa_supplicant to work? so far it enables the card (a usb Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 / TL-WN822N v2 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287]) but does not assign ip (dhcpcd is available, both wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd are enabled services).  maybe i need to enable net service as well?
so far i just do it manually and it works (ie.. ip to set link up, wpa_supplicant to set SSID, and dhcpcd to get ip)

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#684 2015-07-19 08:42:52

aaditya

toxygen wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

ok thanks, i've managed to download the packages from sourceforge and use local rep to install and configure

i'm about to start reading the thread but any tips on getting wpa_supplicant to work? so far it enables the card (a usb Atheros Communications, Inc. TP-Link TL-WN821N v3 / TL-WN822N v2 802.11n [Atheros AR7010+AR9287]) but does not assign ip (dhcpcd is available, both wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd are enabled services).  maybe i need to enable net service as well?
so far i just do it manually and it works (ie.. ip to set link up, wpa_supplicant to set SSID, and dhcpcd to get ip)

You could install wpa_supplicant_gui to manage connections.

#685 2015-07-28 16:54:43

Glats

Hi everyone!

How can I increse te number of tty?
I installed archlinux with openrc and when press Ctrl+Alt+F2-6 every screen is black
How can i enable the ttys?
My /etc/inittab:

# /etc/inittab:  This file describes how the INIT process should set up
#                the system in a certain run-level.

# Default runlevel.
id:3:initdefault:

# System initialization, mount local filesystems, etc.
si::sysinit:/usr/bin/openrc sysinit

# Further system initialization, brings up the boot runlevel.
rc::bootwait:/usr/bin/openrc boot

l0:0:wait:/usr/bin/openrc shutdown
l0s:0:wait:/usr/bin/halt -dhip
l1:S1:wait:/usr/bin/openrc single
l2:2:wait:/usr/bin/openrc nonetwork
l3:3:wait:/usr/bin/openrc default
l4:4:wait:/usr/bin/openrc default
l5:5:wait:/usr/bin/openrc default
l6:6:wait:/usr/bin/openrc reboot
l6r:6:wait:/usr/bin/reboot -d
#z6:6:respawn:/usr/bin/sulogin

# new-style single-user
su0:S:wait:/usr/bin/openrc single
su1:S:wait:/usr/bin/sulogin

# TERMINALS
c1:12345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

# SERIAL CONSOLES
#s0:12345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100
#s1:12345:respawn:/usr/bin/agetty 9600 ttyS1 vt100

# What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/usr/bin/shutdown -r now

thank for advanced

The guys who answer me send me here -> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=200033

#686 2015-07-30 10:31:44

Lone_Wolf

Glats,

the inittab you posted appears to be unchanged from the original version .

What guide did you follow to install arch ?
Are you using openrc or openrc-core, where did you get it from (AUR, unofficial repo etc ) and which version ?

the content of /var/log/rc.log may be helpful, please post it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#687 2015-07-30 16:51:25

Glats

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Glats,

the inittab you posted appears to be unchanged from the original version .

What guide did you follow to install arch ?
Are you using openrc or openrc-core, where did you get it from (AUR, unofficial repo etc ) and which version ?

the content of /var/log/rc.log may be helpful, please post it.

I took the guide from http://systemd-free.org/install.php so I installed openrc-core

Here it´s my rc.log

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/glat … 069/rc.log

thanks for advanced!

#688 2015-07-30 20:37:31

Lone_Wolf

Lately i often wish that systemd-free.org guide included links to archwiki and was structured a lot differently :

0: install archlinux using the beginner's guide
1 : Verify you have a WORKING archlinux instalation WITHOUT problems
2 : make sure you have a bootable archlinux install iso readily available
3 : replace systemd init with openrc init, but leave systemd installed for udev
4 : verify your archlinux installation boots with openrc/udev and solve any problems.
if needed , boot the install iso for troubleshooting
5: verify your openrc / udev installation works as intended
6: make sure you have a bootable archlinux install iso readily available
7 : replace udev with openrc-eudev
8: solve all problems, be prepared to boot into the install iso for troubleshooting if needed

---------------------------------------
Ok, back to your problem Glats.

Q1: How did you install archlinux ?
Q2: Are you sure your system was working correct / did you have multiple ttys working BEFORE you installed openrc ?

If the answer to Q2 is yes, please post rc-status --crashed and rc-status --all

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2015-07-30 20:38:35)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#689 2015-08-01 05:04:54

Glats

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Lately i often wish that systemd-free.org guide included links to archwiki and was structured a lot differently :

0: install archlinux using the beginner's guide
1 : Verify you have a WORKING archlinux instalation WITHOUT problems
2 : make sure you have a bootable archlinux install iso readily available
3 : replace systemd init with openrc init, but leave systemd installed for udev
4 : verify your archlinux installation boots with openrc/udev and solve any problems.
if needed , boot the install iso for troubleshooting
5: verify your openrc / udev installation works as intended
6: make sure you have a bootable archlinux install iso readily available
7 : replace udev with openrc-eudev
8: solve all problems, be prepared to boot into the install iso for troubleshooting if needed

---------------------------------------
Ok, back to your problem Glats.

Q1: How did you install archlinux ?
Q2: Are you sure your system was working correct / did you have multiple ttys working BEFORE you installed openrc ?

If the answer to Q2 is yes, please post rc-status --crashed and rc-status --all

Well I just followed the instructions of http://systemd-free.org/install.php
I dont remember if in tty's systemd was working

I installed openrc-core and eudev but not eudev-openrc because there was a conflict with openrc-core :S

My rc-status:

* Caching service dependencies ...                                       [ ok ]
Runlevel: shutdown
 killprocs                                                         [  stopped  ]
 savecache                                                         [  stopped  ]
 mount-ro                                                          [  stopped  ]
Runlevel: sysinit
 dmesg                                                             [  started  ]
 sysfs                                                             [  started  ]
 devfs                                                             [  started  ]
 udev                                                              [  started  ]
 kmod-static-nodes                                                 [  started  ]
 tmpfiles.dev                                                      [  started  ]
 udev-trigger                                                      [  started  ]
Runlevel: boot
 hwclock                                                           [  started  ]
 modules                                                           [  started  ]
 fsck                                                              [  started  ]
 root                                                              [  started  ]
 mtab                                                              [  started  ]
 swap                                                              [  started  ]
 localmount                                                        [  started  ]
 urandom                                                           [  started  ]
 sysctl                                                            [  started  ]
 bootmisc                                                          [  started  ]
 net.lo                                                            [  started  ]
 swapfiles                                                         [  started  ]
 hostname                                                          [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                      [  started  ]
 modules_load                                                      [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  started  ]
 tmpfiles.setup                                                    [  started  ]
 procfs                                                            [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                           [  started  ]
 loopback                                                          [  started  ]
 binfmt                                                            [  started  ]
Runlevel: default
 hdparm                                                            [  started  ]
 dbus                                                              [  started  ]
 wicd                                                              [  started  ]
 haveged                                                           [  stopped  ]
 consolekit                                                        [  started  ]
 autofs                                                            [  started  ]
 xdm                                                               [ starting  ]
 alsasound                                                         [  stopped  ]
 acpid                                                             [  started  ]
 cronie                                                            [  stopped  ]
 cupsd                                                             [  stopped  ]
 fuse                                                              [  stopped  ]
 smb                                                               [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  started  ]
 local                                                             [  stopped  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed
 xdm-setup                                                         [  started  ]

With rc-status --crashed display nothing

Last edited by Glats (2015-08-01 05:07:10)

#690 2015-08-01 14:20:01

Lone_Wolf

Well, i see nothing in rc.log & rc-status wrt clues to what might be wrong.

Please post dmesg also .

#691 2015-08-01 15:58:38

Glats

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Well, i see nothing in rc.log & rc-status wrt clues to what might be wrong.

Please post dmesg also .

Ok

Here my dmesg

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/glat … dmeseg.log

Update: I edited inittab and I changed default in runlevel 2 and there isn't the tty.

So I changed again init default to 3 start the X and Slim and the tty disappear

Solved: well after many nights research  moving code up and down I made it finally I installed  lxdm ( lxdm-consolekit from aur or openrc-eudev repo). I think Slim was the problem but I don't know why just I followed the manjaro configuration which used lightdm as display manager

Last edited by Glats (2015-08-02 16:51:06)

#692 2015-08-03 09:55:16

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

Please consider restoring the artoo way on the wiki.

I tested both and the Artoo way seems the most updated (openrc-arch-services are not updated since 1 year) and supported (since it's used by Manjaro), moreover many blogs and websites endorse the Artoo way.
Artoo way is also the most "vanilla" experience, since it uses netifrc.

What do you think?

#693 2015-08-03 12:40:07

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

tredaelli wrote:

I tested both and the Artoo way seems the most updated (openrc-arch-services are not updated since 1 year) and supported (since it's used by Manjaro), moreover many blogs and websites endorse the Artoo way.

What do you think?

Please read Lone_Wolf's post in #688, as well as the discussion on the wiki, which was started 4 months ago.

As to "the most updated", the artoo services are more updated because they break far more often, as can be seen in this thread. Whatever different distributions or "many blogs" do is irrelevant to Arch. And your "most vanilla experience" includes breaking other AUR packages like initscripts-fork. So sorry, but no. Feel free to keep an older revision on your user page if you still find use for the information, or use the history.

Last edited by Alad (2015-08-03 12:53:09)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#694 2015-08-03 14:34:12

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

Alad wrote:
tredaelli wrote:

What do you think?

Please read Lone_Wolf's post in #688, as well as the discussion on the wiki, which was started 4 months ago.

As to "the most updated", the artoo services are more updated because they break far more often, as can be seen in this thread. Whatever different distributions or "many blogs" do is irrelevant to Arch. And your "most vanilla experience" includes breaking other AUR packages like initscripts-fork. So sorry, but no. Feel free to keep an older revision on your user page if you still find use for the information, or use the history.

openrc-arch-services are broken too and never updated.
http://i.imgur.com/hiINdsI.png

-- mod note: converted img to url tags.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2015-08-03 14:45:42)

#695 2015-08-03 14:48:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please remember our guidelines on image sizes - especially when the image is just text in a terminal: you can just post the text.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#696 2015-08-03 15:00:41

Lone_Wolf

https://github.com/andrewgregory/openrc-arch-services

No open issues, no pull requests related to ssh , also no comments about ssh on aur3 or 4 pages for openrc-arch-services -git

Where is your bug report, tredaelli ?

#697 2015-08-03 15:14:58

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

Lone_Wolf wrote:

https://github.com/andrewgregory/openrc-arch-services

No open issues, no pull requests related to ssh , also no comments about ssh on aur3 or 4 pages for openrc-arch-services -git

Where is your bug report, tredaelli ?

I just tried to install apg openrc on a VM and I found this problem. since it's a blocking problem and many people uses sshd, I suppose nobody is installing OpenRC using apg way.
I also installed another VM with the artoo way, by using the repository and I didn't have this problem nor any other problem with "base system".

Now I'll open the bug report and/or a "push request", but the problem remains: nobody is using apg way.

#698 2015-08-03 15:25:06

Lone_Wolf

Check my signature, Tredaelli .

I am using openrc apg way since i switched from systemd init to openrc long ago.
I did test artoo way a few times, but it never replaced openrc apg way on my system.
And with artoo way focus shifting more and more to manjaro, i doubt i'll ever use it.

I also think you'll find several other posters in this thread also use it.
Maybe most of openrc apg users have very littlle problems (i know i do) they can't solve themselves ?

#699 2015-08-03 16:15:21

tredaelli
Package Maintainer (PM)

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Check my signature, Tredaelli .

I am using openrc apg way since i switched from systemd init to openrc long ago.
I did test artoo way a few times, but it never replaced openrc apg way on my system.
And with artoo way focus shifting more and more to manjaro, i doubt i'll ever use it.

I also think you'll find several other posters in this thread also use it.
Maybe most of openrc apg users have very littlle problems (i know i do) they can't solve themselves ?

Infact it's quite simple to fix this "problem",
but linux is (was?) about choice and so I still don't agree to remove the artoo method since in my tests it works without any glitch.
I also installed (for testing) X and KDE5 with SDDM without compile anything from aur (using the eudev-openrc repository) and I don't need to have libsystemd installed.
I know artoo method may has some problems (like the incompatiblity with initscripts-fork, but unlikely a user uses 2 init systemd), but with a QUICK test it seems the most "updated" one.

I'm not saying to remove the Apg method, but to do NOT remove the Artoo one

EDIT
Moreover Apg is using newnet that is marked as experimental by upstream https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_ma … RC_message

Last edited by tredaelli (2015-08-03 16:40:59)

#700 2015-08-03 17:50:08

apg
Developer

tredaelli wrote:

EDIT
Moreover Apg is using newnet that is marked as experimental by upstream https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Network_ma … RC_message

Feel free to use netifrc if you like, it's a separate project.  "newnet" is the only networking service offered by OpenRC, not actually marked experimental anywhere in the OpenRC codebase, and built by default; so my package simply does not disable it.

Board footer