You are not logged in.

#26 2015-08-01 19:50:34

misal6666

Re: [SOLVED]No screens found. Server terminated with error 1

May i ask one more question here?

I went on and reinstalled arch anyways as I thought i should follow beginner's guide on wiki. I did those exact steps and i booted in my arch tty. Now i had to add user so i used this command

useradd -m -g users -G wheel,storage,power -s /bin/bash USERNAME

aftet this i uncommented the #%wheel line in visudo.

I tried to login to my system with my added username and password but it shows that my login is incorrect. I tried to add another user using a page on wiki but same thing happened again. Now i can add user but can not login from it. Because of that I am not able to use packer as it needs to be run without root.

Is there any workaround for this?

#27 2015-08-01 20:01:24

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

May i ask one more question here?

Please don't. That is a form of help vampirism. You created the thread with a specific problem, now that problem has solved. Please mark this thread as such and create a new topic about your new problem. Make sure you re--read the wiki page about adding users first though. I don't see any mention of adding a user to the storage or power groups on there..

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#28 2015-08-01 20:10:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

Follow the arch wiki - or ask on lifehacker when you have trouble because of their instructions.

If you are confused by the wiki or have trouble following it ask, and ask before you just follow some other random out-of-date incorrect guides.  But as noted above, ask in a new thread.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#29 2015-08-01 20:29:32

misal6666

Trilby wrote:
Trilby wrote:

Follow the arch wiki - or ask on lifehacker when you have trouble because of their instructions.

If you are confused by the wiki or have trouble following it ask, and ask before you just follow some other random out-of-date incorrect guides.  But as noted above, ask in a new thread.

Sorry to have caused all this trouble to you guys but i am seeking help since i am relatively new to this. If you could only unbin my post so that you and other experienced users can help me out.

Also would you please inform me if you could not unbin my new post. If so i will have to post a new thread for installing aur apps with root.

Last edited by misal6666 (2015-08-01 20:31:28)

#30 2015-08-01 22:20:26

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Everyone is new once, and seeking help is fine, but you will be directed to the wiki a lot. If you can't follow the instructions there, you will not have an enjoyable experience using Arch.

You mentioned a problem with user accounts, I recommended reading through the Users and Groups wiki page, and then posting a new topic if your problem was not resolved. What I suspect happened is that you glanced at the wiki page, saw the useradd command in code tags, and ran that. When you still couldn't use that account, you made the new topic.

What I suggest you do is read the Users and Groups wiki page carefully, from top to bottom, all of it. Don't just copy and paste the code snippets, read the whole thing. Then go through the "User management" section step by step, reading and following the instructions to create a new user account (with a different name to the ones you have already tried to create). Give the user a simple password for now, just to omit any typos when entering it later. Then try to log in as the user.

If you still can't log in, then create a new topic. Be sure to include the relevant logs

This topic has served it's purpose and is getting messy. I'm going to close it before it gets dragged even further off topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer