You are not logged in.

#326 2015-10-04 17:28:32

chickenPie4tea

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Trilby wrote:

My experience is just the opposite.  What linux is missing for me is the constant need to find drivers and pass around installation disks for printers, scanners, cameras, usb-to-serial adaptors, etc, etc.  On linux they always "just work."

hmm, yes you have reminded me of printer troubles on Windows and how much hassle I have had in the past, guess memory is fading esp. since I use windows so rarely. So yeah I take it all back! smile

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#327 2015-10-04 17:32:33

nonfictive

More freedom when it comes to what goes in the kernel.

#328 2015-10-04 20:00:48

Awebb

nonfictive wrote:

I have never heard of black choppers dropping a death squad, that kicks in my door and forces me to add something to the kernel on gunpoint.

#329 2015-10-06 16:01:53

qyprg

Awebb wrote:
nonfictive wrote:

I have never heard of black choppers dropping a death squad, that kicks in my door and forces me to add something to the kernel on gunpoint.

big_smile

A non-bloated web-browser that supports all the add-ons that FIrefox has.

#330 2015-10-06 16:12:58

drcouzelis
Website

qyprg wrote:

A non-bloated web-browser that supports all the add-ons that Firefox has.

What is it about Firefox that makes it bloated to you? (Ok, besides the stupid "Pocket" integration...) wink

I used to be unhappy with the speed at which Firefox started up, until I disable Adblock Plus and realized it made a HUGE difference. I now use uBlock and have been much happier. smile

#331 2015-10-06 19:59:23

qyprg

drcouzelis wrote:
qyprg wrote:

What is it about Firefox that makes it bloated to you? (Ok, besides the stupid "Pocket" integration...) wink

I used to be unhappy with the speed at which Firefox started up, until I disable Adblock Plus and realized it made a HUGE difference. I now use uBlock and have been much happier. smile

Well, like you said, Pocket Integration is one of them. Other features that seem bloat to me include:

Reader Mode
Hello
Tab Groups
Share This Page
Subscribe

The Developer Options might be relevant to a user interested in web design, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how the end-user who just uses the browser for ... browsing needs them. I'd also love to see several privacy options turned on by default in about:config.

#332 2015-10-06 21:14:17

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#333 2015-10-07 07:22:54

x33a
Forum Fellow

Mr.Elendig wrote:

One terminal is of falconindy and one of toofishes!

Which of the two is the guy in the image? tongue

#334 2015-10-27 03:34:27

cammyman50

drcouzelis wrote:
qyprg wrote:

And don't forget about the unicorn thing that's somewhere in Firefox nearby the settings section of the browser.

After seeing that Easter egg, I'm convinced that the FF developers might just be running out of ideas or something.

#335 2015-10-30 10:30:23

svenper

SIGINFO, and a keyboard shortcut for it. maybe ^T like on BSD.

Last edited by svenper (2015-10-30 10:31:32)

#336 2015-10-30 12:06:33

kiiroitori

Trilby wrote:

My experience is just the opposite.  What linux is missing for me is the constant need to find drivers and pass around installation disks for printers, scanners, cameras, usb-to-serial adaptors, etc, etc.  On linux they always "just work."

Funny I just got a canon CS9950F scanner from a friend. Guess what? It doesn't work in linux. It doesn't seem to work for anyone else either according to the internet. That, and a truck loads of other pieces of hardware, so I am curious how you managed to get  printers, scanners, cameras, usb-to-serial adaptors, etc just working.

#337 2015-10-30 13:03:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry kiiroitori, I don't have any information to provide.  All such devices I've used have been supported "out of the box" by ether the kernel (usb-to-serial and cameras) or drivers installed with a basic cups installation (printers and scanners).  On some occasions for printers I've had to install one of the driver packages from the repos.  Admittedly I haven't used all that many printers.

As one specific example, last year I got a usb-to-serial a bit like this one.  It came with a mini CD with drivers for 'windows and mac OSX'.  I threw the disk in the trash before even pluggin the device in.  I plugged the device in and it showed up as /dev/ttyACMO (or something like that) and I was able to use it immediately.

I gave it to a friend to tinker with but he uses windows - I had to go find one of the installation CDs.  Even with the disk with the drivers, he had a hell of a time trying to get them "installed" and eventually he gave up and installed linux so he could use the usb-to-serial adaptor.  I had a good laugh when he came to my office and said "ok, I installed linux.  Can you show me how to install the drivers for the adaptor?"  I waved my magic wand and said it was done.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#338 2015-10-30 13:22:14

kiiroitori

It's cool Trilby, thanks for the detailed reply. It's nice to know that sometimes, somewhere, someones get a device to work more easily on linux than on windows! I guess I am just frustrated because of all struggling with drivers!

#339 2015-10-30 14:02:10

drcouzelis
Website

kiiroitori wrote:

Funny I just got a canon CS9950F scanner from a friend. Guess what? It doesn't work in linux. It doesn't seem to work for anyone else either according to the internet. That, and a truck loads of other pieces of hardware, so I am curious how you managed to get  printers, scanners, cameras, usb-to-serial adaptors, etc just working.

You're experience and feelings are valid, there's a ton of hardware that works flawlessly with Linux and there's a ton of hardware that doesn't work at all with Linux. Having a piece of hardware work with a computer is a perfectly reasonable expectation.

Please also consider it from the other angle, though: Some companies create hardware that just won't work with Linux and never will, because it wasn't designed to (for example, "win modems"). Expecting them to be able to work with Linux is like getting a set of truck tires for a Corolla and saying, "I bought some automobile parts for my automobile and they don't work, what the crap??".

Linux has come a long way over the past decade though, in that it's almost considered a first class citizen of the operating system world. It's so much nicer than the dark ages of Linux hardware compatibility in the past.

#340 2015-10-30 14:41:31

ewaller
Administrator

When it comes to USB to serial adapters, Linux actually works far better.  Unfortunately.
It turns out that the vast majority of the USB to serial stuff is bases on chips by FTDI.  Unfortunately, their parts are heavily counterfeited. Those counterfeit devices identify themselves as genuine FTDI devices and use Windows sees to it that they get the FDTI drivers.   Initially, FTDI figured out how to detect the counterfeit chips and tweaked the drivers to refuse to run them.  Okay, fair enough.  Then they went a little bit further and crossed over the line

On Linux, the real and counterfeit parts just work.  Until you plug a counterfeit into a booby trapped Windows box and then back into Linux....

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#341 2015-10-30 15:07:48

Awebb

FTDI is one of the companies, that make me angry, in a kind of pitchfork angry way.

EDIT: angry self censorship

Last edited by Awebb (2015-10-30 15:08:14)

#342 2015-10-30 15:42:20

nomorewindows

Strange, FTDI was supposed to be the rock solid USB-serial adaptor.  I just got a cheap PL2303 and seems to work for the most part.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#343 2015-11-02 10:15:34

Awebb

A way to render KVM guests on the NVIDIA part of Optimus setups and render it in an X window/Wayland client. That's what Linux is missing right now the most. Can I have this? In an hour? Tomorrow? Please?

#344 2015-11-02 13:26:45

x33a
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:

A way to render KVM guests on the NVIDIA part of Optimus setups and render it in an X window/Wayland client. That's what Linux is missing right now the most. Can I have this? In an hour? Tomorrow? Please?

No.

#345 2015-11-22 14:18:31

Jristz

More out-for-kernel driver land upstream, a full gnu tools (bash, coreutils, sharutils, moreutils, I thing I miss a few) replacement in core.

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#346 2015-11-23 10:10:22

chickenPie4tea

An easy way to change folder icons.
When I used Windoxs XP there were dozens of small apps you could install that would let you simply right click on a folder that you wanted to stand out from the others and then choose a different colour or patterned folder. I have never come across anything simple in linux. Some file managers allow a limited selection of "emblems" to choose from but not a large choice.
I see Nautilus file browser and Caja have this fucntion now.

Last edited by chickenPie4tea (2015-11-23 10:21:54)

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#347 2015-11-23 20:28:33

Soukyuu

^ dolphin has that feature too, and there is this folder color extension that allows you to mark several folders and change their color via right-click. Pretty much replaced FolderHighlight I was using on windows for me.

Something I find linux is lacking (after I got photoshop working on wine.. kind of.) is better GPU driver support. I was considering buying a new GPU and it seems I'm more or less forced to go with nvidia and their proprietary driver to get full performance on linux.
AMD's proprietary driver seems to be picky about kernel versions. I hear AMD open source drivers are making good progress so maybe it will become feasible someday, but it's quite uncertain how long that will take. Of course, I could always reboot to windows for gaming, but I'd rather not have to.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#348 2015-11-24 05:13:36

x33a
Forum Fellow

VMware vSphere client. Though it's not Linux's fault. Curse you VMware. Everytime I have to manage virtual machines, I have to log in to windows for that sad

This is the single reason for which I have to use windows (that too 8.1...) at work .

Last edited by x33a (2015-11-24 05:13:45)

#349 2015-12-12 16:04:00

Archforum101

It's missing Awebb, nope, he's here nevermind. smile

Honesty do think that's what's conspicuously absent from gnu/Linux. Where are all the endusers dang it !? Don't they know how kickbutt this platform is !?!?!

All things in time I guess.

Vll! ( which stands for Viva la gnu/Linux ! )

#350 2015-12-22 13:24:19

johane
Website

A printer system that actually works. CUPS is a printer daemon from hell.

Board footer