You are not logged in.

#351 2015-12-22 14:29:00

Awebb

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

johane wrote:

A printer system that actually works. CUPS is a printer daemon from hell.

I don't understand the common quarrel with CUPS. I once managed a network with 100+ printers and 500+ clients, both ranging between ancient and recent, on a single CUPS server. The only trouble I ever had was with binary driver blobs, a buggy OS9 machine and some bugs caused by an outdated client on a very old SUSE box.

Could you please elaborate?

#352 2015-12-22 18:20:03

johane
Website

Awebb wrote:
johane wrote:

A printer system that actually works. CUPS is a printer daemon from hell.

I don't understand the common quarrel with CUPS. I once managed a network with 100+ printers and 500+ clients, both ranging between ancient and recent, on a single CUPS server. The only trouble I ever had was with binary driver blobs, a buggy OS9 machine and some bugs caused by an outdated client on a very old SUSE box.

Could you please elaborate?

I have a Brother DCP7065DN. I had cups up and running and the printer was installed but it did not print anything. systemctl reported no error but web-admin and log said something about "filter" dont remember now. I then downloaded another driver, the one from AUR and installed it. But when I tried to modify my printer CUPS now asks me for user and password, didnt need one before. I have deleted everything cups-related I can find and reinstalled it. Still asks me for password. I can not do anything in web-admin without beeing asked about password except clicking the home link.
Root password does not work, user password does not work. Im out of ideas.
Something is definitely wrong. Is there a way to completely remove everything so that I can start from the beginning?

#353 2015-12-22 23:28:53

Steef435
Website

Super easy WiFi / USB tether support. Some time ago I tried connecting to some odd PEAP network and couldn't get it done using the NetworkManager on stock Fedora. It didn't recognize connection details at all, I wasn't able to specify the right ones either. I went to look for the profile file, perhaps, I could manually specify the settings, but I couldn't find it anywhere (probably somewhere in gconf or whatever), and apart from reading man pages (which failed in the end, probably because of time), there's not much else to do without an internet connection.

So then I tried to tether the connection through my phone but the applet didn't recognize the USB tether at all either Luckily it did get recognized as a web interface so it was easy to manually connect using dhclient, but still.

#354 2015-12-26 20:17:14

null

Is there any secure virtualisation technology that comes anywhere close to FreeBSD jails? Missing them so much on Debian servers..

#355 2015-12-26 23:10:14

bstaletic

null,

Why don't you just use FreeBSD, if what you need are jails? I always wondered why there are so few BSD systems in server ecosystem.

#356 2015-12-27 00:46:29

theGunslinger

null wrote:

Is there any secure virtualisation technology that comes anywhere close to FreeBSD jails? Missing them so much on Debian servers..

Well there is LXC and docker, depends what you need.

#357 2015-12-27 08:04:45

V Dev

Is there any worthy counterpart for notepad++ in world of GNU/linux?

#358 2015-12-27 08:13:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

V Dev wrote:

No, there is Vim; for which there is no counterpart, worthy or otherwise.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#359 2015-12-27 08:47:54

freddie
Website

V Dev wrote:

Maby this.
http://notepadqq.altervista.org/wp/

#360 2015-12-27 10:30:13

null

bstaletic wrote:

Why don't you just use FreeBSD, if what you need are jails? I always wondered why there are so few BSD systems in server ecosystem.

I do where I can, but there are some projects I do together with a few people who really don't like (or rather don't understand) the benefits of FreeBSD so we use Debian because "everything just works"..

I'd like to just have a complete basejail with php56, apache24 and postfix installed and everything mounted readonly except for /var, /tmp and the Apache config folder so that I can just throw 40 or so Jails to the server and give the people who would use them ssh and root access so they can do and deploy what they want.

I think I'll try LXC, it seems much closer than Docker Containers (which I failed horribly last time..).

#361 2015-12-27 16:03:19

ewaller
Administrator

jasonwryan wrote:
V Dev wrote:

No, there is Vim; for which there is no counterpart, worthy or otherwise.

Sure there is   tongue

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#362 2015-12-27 16:10:19

null

V Dev was asking for an editor, not another operating system tongue

(But impressive: emacs seems to come with its own package manager now)

#363 2015-12-27 16:18:03

ewaller
Administrator

null wrote:

V Dev was asking for an editor, not another operating system tongue

(But impressive: emacs seems to come with its own package manager now)

Guilty on all charges.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#364 2015-12-27 18:56:26

bstaletic

Emacs can also act as a WM (yes, window manager). Just take a look at EXWM (emacs xorg window manager). So it definitely is an OS.

#365 2015-12-28 05:13:04

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ewaller is probably the biggest emacs fan I have ever come across, and probably the only Arch user using emacs tongue

#366 2015-12-28 05:38:39

ewaller
Administrator

There are a couple of us here.  I do like the editor better than vim.  I can use vim well, I just don't care for a modal environment.  Also, I like the way emacs works as an IDE.  Like vim, it integrates with source management systems, with back end debuggers, is context sensitive, provides project management, searches across multiple files, code completion, etc...      I like the way it does it better.   

It also does things I don't think  vim will do.  It runs as a server so I can log in multiple places and connect to the same emacs sessions. 
It has a pretty good file manager, and provides seamless ability to edit files on other systems through ssh.

Keeping this on topic, vim and emacs are fine replacements for notepad++.   Notepad++ is a nice program.  The last time I checked, it runs just fine under wine.

---

#367 2015-12-28 06:21:22

der_joachim
Website

Here's a new one: a decent way to update BIOS-es. My laptop does not have (a) windows or (b) a floppy drive. For my particular model, I found a workaround, so I was able to update. I am not sure whether this will work for my other laptops though.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

#368 2015-12-28 08:30:09

Awebb

bstaletic wrote:

null,

"I know Linux, how different can it be?"
"%?"
"%!"
"% -.-"
"Let me diff those manpages..."
"Let me rewrite all my scripts for this % thing here..."
"Okay, two branches suck, let me make them sh compliant..."
"Oh, didn't know that. POSIX compliance it is."
"Only three days and I'm already getting the basics. Good thing all *Nixes are the same!"

Meanwhile in the other room:

"Well, this isn't exactly BSD jails, but it'll do. Took me the better part of a morning, what a complicated task!"

Last edited by Awebb (2015-12-28 08:31:18)

#369 2015-12-28 20:10:12

Soukyuu

der_joachim wrote:

Here's a new one: a decent way to update BIOS-es. My laptop does not have (a) windows or (b) a floppy drive. For my particular model, I found a workaround, so I was able to update. I am not sure whether this will work for my other laptops though.

I have an old ms-dos usb stick that was created by putting a floppy image on it. Works quite fine so far. Also, I think there was something in the works regarding allowing BIOS updates from any OS via UEFI or something like that?

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#370 2015-12-28 21:45:33

alphaniner

You don't even need a dedicated USB. The images found here here can be mounted and written to, and booted with syslinux eg

MENU LABEL dos
    LABEL DOS
    kernel memdisk
    INITRD ../FreeDOS-1.1-memstick-3-30M.img
    APPEND raw

I've flashed HDD and mobo f/w when booted to this image.

Edit: I should note that during boot a menu is presented with several driver options. In order to flash mobo f/w I had to select option 4, no drivers.

Edit 2: Actually, just the other day I had an experience with a Linux-based f/w flasher, the 'Intel SSD Firmware Update Tool'. Unfortunately, the utility is graphical and X crashed during startup on two out of four machines. mad

Last edited by alphaniner (2015-12-28 22:12:36)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#371 2015-12-29 13:54:15

drcouzelis
Website

V Dev wrote:

Here are two serious answers: wink

My coworkers are crazy for the Atom text editor, so I guess you should give that a try. I really just prefer Vim...

Also, try Geany. Actually, I think Geany might be the closest to Notepad++, especially if you turn off the little side windows (file browser tree...) and other extras. It will automatically open whatever tabs you had open when it was closed. It has syntax highlighting for programming. It has spell checking. The problem I had before I found Geany was that I was searching like crazy for a "text editor", when Geany is labeled as an "IDE".

Good luck! smile

#372 2015-12-29 18:30:58

severach

For me the must have feature is color highlighting of keywords. I've yet to find an editor on Linux can do this. medit (mooedit) and Geany can at least highlight selected but that's nowhere near enough.

All I can do is run Notepad++ in Wine.

#373 2015-12-29 19:22:06

ewaller
Administrator

severach wrote:

For me the must have feature is color highlighting of keywords. I've yet to find an editor on Linux can do this. medit (mooedit) and Geany can at least highlight selected but that's nowhere near enough.

By following that link, I see the one true editor was provided as the first answer tongue

---

#374 2015-12-29 19:49:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ewaller wrote:
severach wrote:

By following that link, I see the one true editor was provided as the first answer tongue

The even better editor only requires one keypress *

(okay, that's two on most keyboards: shift+8 for US Qwerty).

But really, that's it.  Hit asterisk and every word matching the one currently under the cursor will be highlighted.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#375 2015-12-30 08:57:17

Lone_Wolf

I'd suggest looking at Kate , it supports syntax highlighting for many programming languages.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer