Forgive me if this has been addressed before; I searched the forum for all things samba and didn't come across this so here goes....
I've got samba set up on an arch server (thanks cactus!) and all is right with the world...almost. Transferring ~89MB file from XP to Arch takes ~5 minutes. Reverse that and it takes ~15 seconds. The only thing I found in the forums to address something similar to this was to set (in smb.conf)
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=16384 SO_RCVBUF=16384 IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
I have also tried the snd and rcv buf @ 8192 (suggested elsewhere) both to no avail.
Computers are connected via a 10/100 4 port soho router; static IPs; both have a 100Mb FD connection. Possible bottlenecks: none really as both have similar processors and comparable amounts of ram (Athlon 2100XP-768MB RAM and Athlon 2400XP-1GB RAM).
As far as XP is concerned, I've tried adjusting the settings from SpeedGuide.net and the suggestions from DSLreports.com . I'm out of ideas. :?
do you have any personal firewall applications running?
try disable windows firewall, zonealarm, or any other firewalls on the windows box. See if anything improves.
Also try disabling the QoS on the network interface (in the winderz network config for that connection)...
"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍
Windows firewall is turned off. I've tried transferring files with zonealarm on as well as off and there is no difference. I booted into arch on my desktop (dual boot machine) and got the two talking (have some problems there as well but I'll post those ?s in another thread). Transfer speeds from and to the server are in the catergory of lickity-split so I'm guessing it's definitely a Windows problem. I'll try the Qos setting once I get back home (stupid money...have to work to get any). As always cactus, thanks for your ideas.
Turned off QoS. Didn't do anything. Well, not anything exactly...dropped the transfer time from 5 minutes to 4 minutes (approximates). Still not nearly as fast as it should be. Any other takers?
Are there any errors in /var/log/samba ? What's the config of the Samba share? Just the "[sharename]" part.
A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.
er...where exactly in /smb would I find an error log? There are multiple logs but none state explicitly "error". I perused the logfile from my desktop and there are a couple of errors and all of them state something akin to the following
[2006/04/23 20:21:47, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(557) write_data: write failure in writing to client 192.168.x.x. Error Connection reset by peer [2006/04/23 20:21:47, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(765) Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Connection reset by peer)
ie all of them state connection reset by peer (if there is an error). No errors show up from me just trying to transfer a file.
The smb.conf share looks like:
[linshare] path = /linshare ; valid users = me myself i available = yes browseable = yes public = no writable = yes ; create mask = 770
The commented out portions are me trying to fix errors whilst connecting via another linux (arch of course ) machine.
Over 100 views yet only 4 posts (and two of them mine). Guess I'm not the only one interested in figuring what the deal is. Usually if I google something long enough and by using different verbages I'll stumble upon something...unfortuantely all I can seem to find is information like "I see others with this problem but can't find a solution". Strange. It seems no one really has any other ideas. Since Arch to Arch works fine, I just made a mount point in fstab for my NTFS partition. As I won't be writing to this partion from Linux (just reading) I figure I'll be safe transferring files once booted into Arch. Works for me. Thanks everyone for their input.