You are not logged in.

#2851 2015-10-27 15:44:50

carongangoo

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Hi everybody ! I succeeded in  building gtk2-ubuntu  bit now I'm meeting a new issue for gtk3-ubutu that cannot be build : it tells me that settings.ini isn't present when i build .this is when i try to build gtk3-ubuntu with makepkg : it downloads gtk+-3.18.2.tar.xz and then

" > Found gtk+-3.18.2.tar.xz
==> ERROR: settings.ini was not found in the build directory and is not a URL. "

Any idea ? thanks in advance.

Caron

#2852 2015-10-27 15:55:36

zeppelinlg

I compile the package with makechrootpkg from the extra/devtools packages
I currently stop the update to gnome-session-ubuntu. I'll try to complete the update in the week.
You can post your output with http://pastebin.com/

Last edited by zeppelinlg (2015-10-27 15:55:50)

#2853 2015-10-27 16:27:25

carongangoo

Hi and thanks for your quick reply !
sorry to be so dumb... but how do I proceed "with makechrootpkg from the extra/devtools packages"

thank you for your patience
Caron

#2854 2015-11-01 08:05:30

horsemanoffaith

I'm still in the process of building Unity from scratch. I've gotten all the way to indicator-printers, but that one's got me stuck because it's looking for a file that I cannot find. I've searched high and low on the internet, but I can't seem to find anything... the build is looking for ldbusmenu-glib-lcups, and I cannot find anything when I look it up. I've posted a question on the Ubuntu Launchpad site, so I'm hoping they'll answer me in the next couple of days. It's taken me quite a while to crack some of the more difficult packages, but I've managed to figure out what I need to do to get most of them to build. The real question is will it work once they're all built? We'll just have to see! By the way, if you want to follow my progress, I've also forked off of Chenxiaolong's Unity-for-Arch Github page. Here's the URL if you're interested.

https://github.com/horsemanoffaith/Unity-for-Arch

If any of you discover something that does not work in any of my commits, please let me know so that I can update them as soon as possible!!!

#2855 2015-11-04 07:04:17

carongangoo

Thank you so much Horsemanof faith for the wonderful job !
Gtk3 is now building and I will let you know about how the situation turns out !

Caron

#2856 2015-11-04 16:12:46

carongangoo

Hi again !

I succeeded in building the gtk3-ubuntu ...but failed to install it . This is the outcome I get

: " [caron@caronifer gtk3-ubuntu]$ makepkg -sri
/etc/makepkg.conf: line 91: --: command not found
==> WARNING: A package has already been built, installing existing package...
==> Installing package gtk3-ubuntu with pacman -U...
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: File exists
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
==> WARNING: Failed to install built package(s).
[caron@caronifer gtk3-ubuntu]$ makepkg -sri
/etc/makepkg.conf: line 91: --: command not found
==> WARNING: A package has already been built, installing existing package...
==> Installing package gtk3-ubuntu with pacman -U...
loading packages...
warning: gtk3-ubuntu-3.18.2-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) gtk3-ubuntu-3.18.2-1

Total Installed Size:  68.46 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                     [###################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                   [###################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                        [###################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                  [###################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                [###################] 100%
(1/1) reinstalling gtk3-ubuntu                     [###################] 100%
/tmp/alpm_LmjPz9/.INSTALL: line 24: syntax error: unexpected end of file
/usr/bin/bash: post_upgrade: command not found
error: command failed to execute correctly "

Any idea Horsemanoffaith or anybody else ?

Caron

Last edited by carongangoo (2015-11-04 18:57:28)

#2857 2015-11-04 16:17:08

ewaller
Administrator

carongangoo,
I am asking you to please edit your post and surround program output with BBCode code tags.  It will format the output into text boxes with scroll bars and will use a fixed width font.  Your readers will appreciate it smile   For reference, the link I provided is also available under every post box on the forums.   Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2858 2015-11-08 04:20:41

horsemanoffaith

Success!!! I finally figured out how to get indicator-printers to build! It wasn't easy. I found that there is something that's causing the service_libs to not line up correctly in the Makefile, which is causing the -ldbusmenu-glib-lcups issue. I would call the service_libs in configure, and somehow -lcups would always show up at the end. I finally just added another \ in the pkgbuild, which then separated the last of my called service_libs with the service_libs that were showing up after the ones I would call. It's a strange issue, and not one that I can rectify with the knowledge that I possess, but at least I have a workaround. Until a new version of indicator-printers comes out, this should work. I'll be updating my github page as soon as I'm able... I don't have time tonight, or I would do so. Hopefully I'll be able to build more of the packages and try to get Unity back up and running. I'll keep you guys posted.

#2859 2015-11-23 09:55:39

IvoTheBetrayer

So, using horsemanoffaith's git repo, I managed to get Unity to build by adjusting a few lines (and, unfortunately, disabling integrity checks.  It's just a toy install...).

In particular, it seems the current version of sigc no longer allows for some of the lines in launcher/LauncherController.cpp.  I should do a patch, but in general, line 154 needs to be changed to:

wm.viewport_layout_changed.connect(sigc::track_obj([this] (int w, int h) { UpdateNumWorkspaces(w * h); }, *this));

This is taken directly from Unity 7.4, which has a check for a newer version of sigc (which Arch seems to be shipping).

Also, it seems that the version of libqtdee being downloaded doesn't actually have QT5 bindings.  Changing the PKGBUILD to dee-qt, which DOES support QT5, seems to get everything built and install the proper packages.  Unsure of why that changed, or why that worked before.

EDIT: Also, the xpathdependancy patch needs to be updated, somehow.  Removing lines 73 to 560 gets it to build (that is, you're leaving in DebugDBusInterface), but that doesn't meant it built correctly.

Last edited by IvoTheBetrayer (2015-11-23 09:59:23)

#2860 2015-12-02 15:20:33

bosyi

hello. do someone of you have my-weather-indicator? it was in aur for some time but now it is gone..

#2861 2015-12-11 14:02:58

bosyi

Make clean install of Arch on VM. Installed lxde pacmn group. Then add & install all packages both from unity and unity-extra repositories. Lightdm starts with ubuntu-lightdm theme, but unity does not starts.

#2862 2016-01-04 03:22:31

horsemanoffaith

IvoTheBetrayer wrote:

So, using horsemanoffaith's git repo, I managed to get Unity to build by adjusting a few lines (and, unfortunately, disabling integrity checks.  It's just a toy install...).

In particular, it seems the current version of sigc no longer allows for some of the lines in launcher/LauncherController.cpp.  I should do a patch, but in general, line 154 needs to be changed to:

wm.viewport_layout_changed.connect(sigc::track_obj([this] (int w, int h) { UpdateNumWorkspaces(w * h); }, *this));

This is taken directly from Unity 7.4, which has a check for a newer version of sigc (which Arch seems to be shipping).

Also, it seems that the version of libqtdee being downloaded doesn't actually have QT5 bindings.  Changing the PKGBUILD to dee-qt, which DOES support QT5, seems to get everything built and install the proper packages.  Unsure of why that changed, or why that worked before.

EDIT: Also, the xpathdependancy patch needs to be updated, somehow.  Removing lines 73 to 560 gets it to build (that is, you're leaving in DebugDBusInterface), but that doesn't meant it built correctly.

You said you had to disable integrity checks... are the sha512sums incorrect?

Also, please let me know of any problems with my github repo packages so I can get them updated and corrected.

#2863 2016-01-04 03:51:20

horsemanoffaith

bosyi wrote:

Make clean install of Arch on VM. Installed lxde pacmn group. Then add & install all packages both from unity and unity-extra repositories. Lightdm starts with ubuntu-lightdm theme, but unity does not starts.

Unfortunately, Unity-for-Arch, as of Gnome 3.18, is not working. When Arch moved 3.18 into the main repos, it messes up Unity. I have been in process of rebuilding Unity, but I can't get Unity to start. Lightdm starts, and lightdm-unity-greeter works correctly, but when you sign in, Unity crashes and goes straight back to the login screen. The initial cause of Unity not starting was Nautilus. If you update nautilus-ubuntu with the Gnome 3.18 packages installed on your system, Unity will at least START... but then the problem becomes that the Unity shell won't correctly load via compiz. I'm techie enough to update the packages, but I do not know how to program, so I don't know how to fix problems with programs that crash. I could probably figure it out after a long time working on it, but I just don't have time to do that. If I could hook up with someone who can troubleshoot errors and edit code/make patches, then we could probably get Unity-for-Arch back up and running again!

Chenxiaolong no longer seems to be maintaining Unity-for-Arch, unfortunately. He was a master at getting Unity to work with Arch. I love Arch, and I still use it, but I miss Unity, and I really REALLY don't want to go back to Ubuntu. I love pacman (so much better than APT), the simplicity of the distribution, and the awesome community. I hope that someday someone gets Unity going again!

#2864 2016-01-06 21:16:40

sollidsnake

Guys, I managed to update packages to xenial version, with a few tweaks, and got unity working again with a up-to-date arch. However there's a issue I couldn't fix yet. There's no indicator or application menu in the top panel, just the application name. Does anybody know what could be missing to fix this?
After I get everything working I'll propose a merge in the git repo.

Non serviam

#2865 2016-01-06 22:10:15

matthew65536

I need some help here with my installation of Unity on arch linux, i installed it using the unofficial Unity-for-Arch repsoitory and the bamfwatcher.service and when i goto systemctl status bamfwatcher.service, it outputs
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: Stopped Update Bamf index for Unity shell.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: Failed to start Update Bamf index for Unity shell.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Failed with result 'start-limit'.

What can i do to fix this problem?

#2866 2016-01-20 07:21:08

horsemanoffaith

sollidsnake wrote:

Guys, I managed to update packages to xenial version, with a few tweaks, and got unity working again with a up-to-date arch. However there's a issue I couldn't fix yet. There's no indicator or application menu in the top panel, just the application name. Does anybody know what could be missing to fix this?
After I get everything working I'll propose a merge in the git repo.

I'm not sure I can help you with that without seeing what it does. I have a branch off of Chenxiaolong's Unity-for-Arch that I tried updating to the Wily repos, but I couldn't get it working- the Unity plugin in CCSM wouldn't work. You say that you updated to Xenial packages with a few tweaks... could you give me some information pretaining to that so that I can get everything updated and working on my system? My guess is there's something in the indicator packages that isn't correct. It's possible that it has to do with a missing package. As I was rebuilding Unity with the Wily repos, I noticed that one of the files needed to build Unity changed names- what used to be dee-qt is now libqtdee. When I re-built the packages, I skipped libqtdee, so it's possible that some of the QT bindings are missing. I'm not sure if that's the case, but that's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps if the two of us can get our heads wrapped around the issue, we can get it solved and get Unity-for-Arch back up for the community!

#2867 2016-01-20 07:23:18

horsemanoffaith

matthew65536 wrote:

I need some help here with my installation of Unity on arch linux, i installed it using the unofficial Unity-for-Arch repsoitory and the bamfwatcher.service and when i goto systemctl status bamfwatcher.service, it outputs
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: Stopped Update Bamf index for Unity shell.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: Failed to start Update Bamf index for Unity shell.
Jan 06 15:40:25 Acer-peppy systemd[1]: bamfwatcher.service: Failed with result 'start-limit'.

What can i do to fix this problem?

If you used the Unity-for-Arch and Unity-for-Arch-Extra repositories, Unity-for-Arch won't work. Those repos haven't been updated for a while. It looks like the maintainer has just stopped updating those files. Several of us in the community are working towards getting it running again. As soon as we have a working fix, we'll let you know.

#2868 2016-01-27 09:03:40

horsemanoffaith

I currently have Unity running on my desktop with an up-to-date system as well, but I'm having the same problem that sollidsnake is reporting. Also, when I log into Unity, the first thing I'm greeted with is just the desktop and my desktop icons- no launcher or topbar. Launching a terminal and typing Unity fixes this issue and give me the Unity desktop as sollidsnake describes. I'm currently going through all my github files and rebuilding them on my desktop to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I'm hoping rebuilding them in a clean environment will show me where the problem is. Hopefully we'll get this fixed and get Unity up and working again!

#2869 2016-01-27 11:02:39

Silkworm205

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I currently have Unity running on my desktop with an up-to-date system as well, but I'm having the same problem that sollidsnake is reporting. Also, when I log into Unity, the first thing I'm greeted with is just the desktop and my desktop icons- no launcher or topbar. Launching a terminal and typing Unity fixes this issue and give me the Unity desktop as sollidsnake describes. I'm currently going through all my github files and rebuilding them on my desktop to make sure that I'm not missing anything. I'm hoping rebuilding them in a clean environment will show me where the problem is. Hopefully we'll get this fixed and get Unity up and working again!

Looking forward to it! I wish I could offer some help, but I'm not a competent coder.
I see your github has the same readme as Chenxiaolong's. Does your collection have any quirks or different instructions to compile?

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#2870 2016-01-27 12:16:30

roger-fladie

Would be nice to have a Unity Desktop for Arch again.
Of course with the ability to change buttons from left to right and such tweaks.

#2871 2016-01-27 12:33:37

Silkworm205

I'm trying to compile gtk2-ubuntu but makepkg says on line 92 it ends unexpectedly. The package stage is missing its closing curly bracket.
I hope this post comes across as useful and not just me looking for issues.
Editing as I compile:
Gnome settings daemon 3.19.4 has been removed. Closest is now 3.19.5. That seems to compile fine, and the patches report that they succeed.
Gnome-creensaver PKGBUILD expects gs-manager.c, but it's not in the git. Commenting it out along with its matching checksum solves that.
Unity-settings-daemon checksums don't match on 0001-Remove-accountsservice-dependency.patch, 0002-Add-gnome-settings-daemon-3.12-rfkill-plugin.patch, and 0003-Use-GNOME-3.16-deprecated-schemas.patch. Compiles fine when skipping them.
Lightdm-ubuntu 0001-guest-account-use-cross-distro-commands.patch fails checksum. Patch fails when checksum is skipped. Compiles when that particular patch is skipped.
Indicator-keyboard required libgee along with libgee06.
indicator-power 0002-remove-accountsservice-dependendy.patch is missing and fails to build.
Indicator-printers checksum is incorrect on *0ubuntu2.diff.gz
indicator-session PKGBUILD refers to 0002-Remove-url_dispatch.patch but it's called 0002-Remove-url_dispatcher.patch
Indicator-sound fails on requirement of url-dispatcher which I cannot find.
dee-qt points to the wrong directories in the PKGBUILD. And conflicts with libqtdee. I'm assuming libqtdee is a replacement?
hud fails to build as libdee-qt5 was not found.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2016-01-27 15:50:17)

#2872 2016-01-31 21:55:21

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:

I'm trying to compile gtk2-ubuntu but makepkg says on line 92 it ends unexpectedly. The package stage is missing its closing curly bracket.
I hope this post comes across as useful and not just me looking for issues.
Editing as I compile:
Gnome settings daemon 3.19.4 has been removed. Closest is now 3.19.5. That seems to compile fine, and the patches report that they succeed.
Gnome-creensaver PKGBUILD expects gs-manager.c, but it's not in the git. Commenting it out along with its matching checksum solves that.
Unity-settings-daemon checksums don't match on 0001-Remove-accountsservice-dependency.patch, 0002-Add-gnome-settings-daemon-3.12-rfkill-plugin.patch, and 0003-Use-GNOME-3.16-deprecated-schemas.patch. Compiles fine when skipping them.
Lightdm-ubuntu 0001-guest-account-use-cross-distro-commands.patch fails checksum. Patch fails when checksum is skipped. Compiles when that particular patch is skipped.
Indicator-keyboard required libgee along with libgee06.
indicator-power 0002-remove-accountsservice-dependendy.patch is missing and fails to build.
Indicator-printers checksum is incorrect on *0ubuntu2.diff.gz
indicator-session PKGBUILD refers to 0002-Remove-url_dispatch.patch but it's called 0002-Remove-url_dispatcher.patch
Indicator-sound fails on requirement of url-dispatcher which I cannot find.
dee-qt points to the wrong directories in the PKGBUILD. And conflicts with libqtdee. I'm assuming libqtdee is a replacement?
hud fails to build as libdee-qt5 was not found.

I deleted my Unity-for-Arch build folder off my desktop and restarted building all the packages just the way they were written in my github repository. I found a couple that were wrong, and along the way I discovered a couple of issues that I was able to resolve with just a few basic tweaks. I just looked at gtk2-ubuntu, and yes, it IS missing the closing curly bracket. Obviously I did not copy and paste that file correctly. It has been fixed. The odd thing is, I just built gtk2-ubuntu on my laptop with a fresh clone from my github repo, and it built just fine with the missing symbol... odd. EDIT- My booboo- I didn't compile it from my github repo folder, but from a different folder that had the correct pkgbuild... duh... no wonder it build! LOL. I will take a look at what you have here and get everything fixed up as well as I can. I will edit this as I come across solutions.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2016-01-31 22:16:35)

#2873 2016-01-31 22:06:41

horsemanoffaith

Silkworm205 wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

Looking forward to it! I wish I could offer some help, but I'm not a competent coder.
I see your github has the same readme as Chenxiaolong's. Does your collection have any quirks or different instructions to compile?

The readme is slightly different. I have added some files to the build that are required- icu55 is requried for dee-ubuntu to build correctly, geonames is now a required file to get gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu to compile, unity-api has been added for indicator-sound, zeitgeist-ubuntu has been moved in the build order because it's now required to build nautilus, and gmock is needed for tests to compile in the unity package. There was a patch that removed those test files somehow, but I couldn't get it to compile until I pulled gmock into the build and did a little tweaking. Now unity builds correctly.

#2874 2016-01-31 23:03:55

Silkworm205

Ooh, I'll take a shot at compiling now then. Thanks for all your effort.
If I find any more issues I'll post them again. It's the best I can do to try and help. I still struggle getting Conky scripts coded. tongue

EDIT:
Gnome settings daemon has the same issue as before, 3.19.4-1 404's. 3.19.5 still seems to work though.
Unity settings daemons patches don't match their checksums. Skipping them still works.
Lightdm-Ubuntu, 0001-guest-account-cross-distro-commands.patch has the wrong checksum and fails hunk 1 at 20, hunk 2 at 46, hunk 3 at 128, and hunk 4 at 150. Disabling the patch seems to work.
Indicator Power, 0002-Remove-accounts-service-dependency.patch is missing. 0001-Not-a-phone.patch fails its checksum. Also fails the patch if the checksum is skipped. Also depends on url-dispatcher, which I can't find. This package wont compile on my system.
indicator-session, chesckums on the numbered patches fail. Also, patch 0002 is misspelled, expecting dispatcher when its named dispatch.
And my adventure ends on compiling Hud, as it needs libdee-qt5 and I can't provide it.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2016-02-01 02:18:11)

#2875 2016-02-01 05:04:43

horsemanoffaith

Okay, folks... I have the full Unity working on my desktop AT THE MOMENT, including a working top-bar. There are a couple of issues that I've got to solve before I can get this all out to you. First of all, when I start the Ubuntu session, Unity does not start on its own. I have to right-click on the desktop and run Unity from the command line. This gives me the Unity desktop sans top-bar. I keep seeing that when I start Unity, the very first thing the command line tells me is there is no unity-panel-service. Prior to getting to this point, every time I'd start unity-panel-service via the command line, it would crash after just a few minutes. It seems to be holding at the moment. I also just discovered that I have no calendar in the top-bar... yet. I still have a way to go, folks, but I'm getting there. Thanks for all your patience. Silkworm205, I'll be getting issues resolved as I can get to them. Thanks for getting me the information. It helps me get all the kinks worked out!

Edit: I won't be creating a repo or releasing this publicly until I have it built and working on both my desktop, laptop, AND a new build of Arch (on either machine) and I can reliably replicate the results. There are just too many variables to consider, and I want to make sure this is working correctly as many ways as I can before I release it.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2016-02-01 05:07:48)

Board footer