You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-28 14:50:56

manica

aacraid not working. No drives visible to cfdisk.

I have a brand new Dell server that uses an Adaptec RAID controller requiring the aacraid module.  However, when I run the arch installer and use cfdisk there are no drives available to partition.  Oddly enough, if I don't run "/arch/setup" but instead run "cfdisk sda" from the prompt, I can see and partition the drive.  But, when I go back into the installer to set the mount points and proceed with installation, it once again has no drives.

dmesg indicates that the drives are properly detected (shows the module and drive size) and the fact that I can partition using "cfdisk sda" from the prompt indicates that the module is indeed loaded.  Any clue why the drives won't show up in the installer?

Darin

#2 2006-04-28 15:14:42

FUBAR
Website

Re: aacraid not working. No drives visible to cfdisk.

Don't forget to "write" the partition table to disk after editing it. It's a menu option in cfdisk.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#3 2006-04-28 15:22:28

manica

Yes, I did that.  I've installed Arch on dozens of machines without a hitch. 

Even with the drive partitioned and formatted correctly, the installer cannot see the drives.  It feels more like a kernel module issue, but I can't figure out why I can access the drives correctly from the rescue prompt but not when I run the installer.

Incidentally, if I select "cfdisk" from the rescue prompt without specifying sda, then cfdisk can't find the drives either.

As much as I hate to say it, Ubuntu installs without any trouble.  But I'd rather be running Arch.  :-)

Darin

#4 2006-04-29 05:00:31

manica

Well, I got around this problem by installing from the .7 (wombat) release and then upgrading.  Now everything works great.

Darin

#5 2018-06-21 02:45:32

GSnover

Just in case anyone has the same problem - unload and reload aacraid - I had to do it twice and then I could proceed.

rmmod aacraid
modprobe aacraid

Could have something to do with the RAID card being present and then booting the installation media from USB - but the above worked for me.

#6 2018-06-21 03:26:23

circleface

GSnover, thank you for your contribution.  However, please note that this thread is over ten years old.  In the future, please make sure you do not necrobump an old thread.

#7 2018-06-21 03:28:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer