You are not logged in.

#26 2016-01-29 13:30:32

FallenAngel

Re: Compaq Presario CQ50 Wireless

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Please post the *entire* output, use a pastebin if it's massive.

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

Okay, is this enough? http://pastebin.com/nJF2qqDr

#27 2016-01-29 16:53:15

nomorewindows

ath5k 0000:02:00.0: can't disable ASPM; OS doesn't have ASPM control
ath5k 0000:02:00.0: registered as 'phy0'
ath: EEPROM regdomain: 0x67
ath: EEPROM indicates we should expect a direct regpair map
ath: Country alpha2 being used: 00
ath: Regpair used: 0x67
systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
ath5k: phy0: Atheros AR2425 chip found (MAC: 0xe2, PHY: 0x70)
systemd[1]: Started RFKill-Unblock wifi.

Are the only lines related I see to it. 
I also see drm panics like I'm seeing on my equipment with Intel.  Some recent kernel module bug.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#28 2016-01-29 17:02:53

FallenAngel

nomorewindows wrote:

I also see drm panics like I'm seeing on my equipment with Intel.  Some recent kernel module bug.

Recent module bug? You mean, it is due to upgrade of system? I found this by searching on Google: http://askubuntu.com/questions/372363/w … eally-mean
But that was with Realtek on Ubuntu. Should I install fwts from AUR? Or I must wait for a sysrem upgrade?

#29 2016-01-29 17:40:12

nomorewindows

FallenAngel wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:

Recent module bug? You mean, it is due to upgrade of system? I found this by searching on Google: http://askubuntu.com/questions/372363/w … eally-mean
But that was with Realtek on Ubuntu. Should I install fwts from AUR? Or I must wait for a sysrem upgrade?

drm is with the intel card.
Don't know anything about the r8169 which I think is your gigabit ethernet, not your wireless.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#30 2016-01-29 18:56:36

FallenAngel

nomorewindows wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:
nomorewindows wrote:

drm is with the intel card.
Don't know anything about the r8169 which I think is your gigabit ethernet, not your wireless.

I don't have Gigabit, I just search for the solution of my problem smile
But hey. I think, that there must be something strange.. Maybe i have updated something.. I've got installed Arch linux on my new Lenovo Y50, but yesterday I need to repartition my hard drive to triple boot - kali, arch and windows. So, after installing the driver( as usual, broadcom-wl for that laptop), i can see my wireless adapter, but the problem is the same. But on kali, I installed debian package and everything works fine. In windows too. So.. Can it be some upgrade in Arch system? Because the same problem is NOW on 2 laptops(before yesterday, everything have worked on another machine). Anyway, that laptop is not my prmnary task for now, I want to install Arch on this laptop, with Atheros wireless. I think, it is something with the system upgrade.

Oh, and that drm - it is not the downloadable package, it is the arch module, right? I shouldn't download it?

#31 2016-01-29 19:13:11

nomorewindows

I've got a ath9k, but that probably won't help.  I used wired most of the time and wireless occasionally (or when the wire decides to become unplugged by itself).  modinfo ath9k doesn't have any option for rf_kill like ath5k, so totally different module.

Look ma, no mouse.

#32 2016-01-29 19:31:23

FallenAngel

nomorewindows wrote:

I've got a ath9k, but that probably won't help.  I used wired most of the time and wireless occasionally (or when the wire decides to become unplugged by itself).  modinfo ath9k doesn't have any option for rf_kill like ath5k, so totally different module.

Ok, thanks, got it. Will try to find the solution by myself :c If I won't enable wi-fi, will try another distro and report.

#33 2016-01-30 18:39:32

FallenAngel

Guys. You know. It's reaaaaaaaaaaaly strange. Because now I'm writing from Live USB Ubuntu with wireless. At the beginning, Ubuntu didn't show any networks. But just after some time( or a couple of commands from root. But I just checked networks... ifconfig and ip link) the top bar displayed some networks and I can connect to my home network and(!) the data is being transmitted. Because once I''ve got a connection on Arch Linux, but ping was giving Destination Host unreachable. But now, in Ubuntu, the problem seems to gone.. Well. Will try to install it and report about results. But LED indicator is just crazy - it always blinking. Well, don't mind about the LED. I'm interested, why Ubuntu did such thing, which Arch couldn't..

#34 2016-01-30 19:05:21

nomorewindows

Try linux-lts and see if you get a different functionality.  Hopefully lts will work and not have whatever bug is floating around in the current kernel (there seems to be a few).

Look ma, no mouse.

#35 2016-01-30 19:13:26

FallenAngel

nomorewindows wrote:

Try linux-lts and see if you get a different functionality.  Hopefully lts will work and not have whatever bug is floating around in the current kernel (there seems to be a few).

You mean, switch to another kernel? Okay, will try that, thanks. But just right now it is installing ubunt( just to be sure, that it will work on the laptop, not only live USB), so after that, I will burn again Arch linux and install.

#36 2016-01-31 14:45:48

FallenAngel

Writing from installed Ubuntu system. That was temporary working solution - now even Live USB didn't allow to access wireless. But. I have few questions - in my BIOS, I have "Internal network adapter boot" option and I can set it either to enabled or disabled. I didn't notice any starnge behaviour, if I switch it, except that thing, that if it is enabled, it shows me additional boot device in the "switch boot device menu" (F9 in my case). And another question - is it normal for wireless adapter be shown as "Ethernet"? Look:

lspci -k
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 360b
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 137b
	Kernel driver in use: ath5k

And I should mention, that I couldn't enable that wireless card by ath9k module. Because if I do

rfkill list

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: yes

modprobe -r ath5k
modrpobe ath9k
rfkill list

it just opens the new line ( I mean, user@machine:~$ ). So it outputs nothing. Also, ip link momentally lose 3rd device - wls1. Instead, showing just lo & enp1s0 .Maybe, this laptop is not compatible with new Linux kernels? :c Because, it is very old, has Windows XP preinstalled. I have this laptop as a present, so I don't know, when it was bought :c

#37 2016-01-31 15:53:40

nomorewindows

Internal network boot is PXE and so far is only implemented for hard wired connections.
ath9k is a different module than ath5k.

Look ma, no mouse.

#38 2016-01-31 16:10:38

FallenAngel

Ah, okay, understood about the first one.
So, you mean, that only one module can work for my wireless card? I mean, I can use only the ath5k, because others won't work?

#39 2016-01-31 16:28:00

nomorewindows

FallenAngel wrote:

So, you mean, that only one module can work for my wireless card? I mean, I can use only the ath5k, because others won't work?

ath5k goes to a family of wireless adapters, and ath9k goes to a different family of wireless adapter.  It's usually a wide array of adapters fitting one chipset.  Unlike windows that wants a different driver for xyz1 adapter, and xyz2 for another adapter but same chipset.  In BSD, it doesn't have wlp or wlan (it still can though), but normally if the driver you're using is called rl, then every instance of rl is rl0, rl1 much simpler.  Obviously you are using ath5k and have been, you could also do mkinitcpio -M and it should have ath5k listed.  Autodetection has determined that ath5k is the driver you need for your wireless card.  If your card needs firmware you'd find it in /usr/lib/firmware.  There are some cards that require non-free that have to be installed separately, and you would've already had that installed, since you have had success up to this point.

Look ma, no mouse.

#40 2016-01-31 16:52:42

FallenAngel

nomorewindows wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:

ath5k goes to a family of wireless adapters, and ath9k goes to a different family of wireless adapter.  It's usually a wide array of adapters fitting one chipset.  Unlike windows that wants a different driver for xyz1 adapter, and xyz2 for another adapter but same chipset.  In BSD, it doesn't have wlp or wlan (it still can though), but normally if the driver you're using is called rl, then every instance of rl is rl0, rl1 much simpler.  Obviously you are using ath5k and have been, you could also do mkinitcpio -M and it should have ath5k listed.  Autodetection has determined that ath5k is the driver you need for your wireless card.  If your card needs firmware you'd find it in /usr/lib/firmware.  There are some cards that require non-free that have to be installed separately, and you would've already had that installed, since you have had success up to this point.

Oh, I see. Something like driver for subset of chipsets, that must be not installed, but configured. Hm.. Okay.. I will burn now usb again with Arch. Oh, I heard about madwifi or something similar, can it help me with this issue? Wiki says, that it is outdated, so I didn't tried to work with it. And I have some thoughts, that I must install something for the toggle button. Because it is always on ( LED is blue ). Anyway, will try to install Arch again and report.

#41 2016-01-31 20:34:39

FallenAngel

Wanna joke? I finally got it. Here's the algorithm:
1. Install clean system
2. Install dialog and rfkill
3. Blacklist hp_wmi in modprobe.d folder
4. When reboot, again execute command rfkill unblock all (yep. It is necessary, in my investigation. It is written, that it is not hardblocked, but without this command, won't work)
5. Press , dman it, blue button
6. wifi-menu

7. Finally, working wireless.

Anyone. Could you explain, why I must wrote this EVERY TIME I LOG IN? big_smile
I just wanna make this laptop suitable for my mom. I don't think, that she will be glad to run all of above( and note, everything as root, and return to normal user), and then execute "startx" . Can I somehow fix all this? Is this a bug with kernel, that I must type all this commands? o.O

#42 2016-01-31 20:42:13

FallenAngel

Oh, step number 4 can be skipped. Just checked again. Or not. But this works. BUT. I can't get network if I will enable networkamanger. So, I won't get widget in the right bottom corner. What should I do?

#43 2016-02-01 02:16:15

Docbroke

try wicd, it comes with applet just like networkmanager, if that works.

#44 2016-02-01 06:44:25

FallenAngel

Docbroke wrote:

try wicd, it comes with applet just like networkmanager, if that works.

That broke my system :'D Now I can't connect to wireless even in old way :'D. I've disabled it in systemctl & deleted, but still can't connect :'D. Will do a fresh install

#45 2016-02-01 07:27:27

Docbroke

How?? have you disabled your other wireless services before enabling wicd?

#46 2016-02-03 13:28:54

FallenAngel

Docbroke wrote:

How?? have you disabled your other wireless services before enabling wicd?

Yep, disabled. Anyway, on this laptop is dual-booted Windows, so if I won't get wireless, I'll just return to that. I just want installed Arch Linux, because, I thought, that it will boot faster

#47 2016-02-03 14:03:52

nomorewindows

Did you try linux-lts with your fresh install?  You can just add it via pacman and add it to your boot selections, without disrupting your linux package.

Look ma, no mouse.

#48 2016-02-15 11:54:25

FallenAngel

Nah. I've gave up with that laptop. Maybe not all laptops is suitable for Linux(I mean, there isn't enough drivers to satisfy the needed chipset). Because it just always brokes :\ Now will focus on my Y50. This broadcom is very ridiculous too. It is working in general, but sometims "destination host unreachable". So.. I think, I'll just set in the GRUB Windows as the primary option(for Compaq), and won't waste your time.

Board footer