You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-25 13:46:07

draetsch

Arch beginners questions.

Hi Folks on this nice little forum.
In need of a good Linux Distribution, I got to this one.  It seems very promising to me. Small and fast and not so bloated like debian or fedora which causes me only problems.

So I downloaded the latest iso (arch-0.6.iso) and began the installation. Hey Guys, I NEVER installed a distribution that quickly. Very good.
As stated in the docs I installed only the base system. Now, that I have a running system, I want to look through the packages on the cd, since I have no internet connection on my linux machine (or does someone know how to setup an ISDN USB adapter???).
How can I browse through the repository on the cd with pacman and install other packages of the cd?
The iso seems very small to me (approx. 170mb?). Would it be better to install from the arch-0.5.iso?
Is the x environment on the 0.6 cd?

Thanks to you Arch users.

#2 2004-02-25 15:13:30

Bobonov

Re: Arch beginners questions.

You downloaded a base install iso, thats why is only 170MB. I do not think there is a complete iso for the 0.6.
In the base iso you find only package from base category, thats why it is so small.
So xfree is not there.
Anyway I suggest you to stay with 0.6 and download the rest from the net using pacman.
In this way at least base package are updated.
If you try to use 0.5 iso at first you need to upgrade almost all package and secondly a lot of change were made in the meanwhile that require you to do a lot of reconfiguring.
Remeber to upgrade pacman as first :
pacman -Sy pacman
and then the rest
pacman -Syu

#3 2004-02-25 15:28:51

draetsch

Ok, thanks for the quick answer.
The only problem is, that I have no internet connection since I don't know how to activate my strange isdn device.
Do you have any suggestions about that?

#4 2004-02-25 16:01:09

sarah31
Website

i suggest posting a request for help in one of the other catagories. try and give as much information about your device, etc.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-02-25 16:04:42

draetsch

Ok, I'll do that.
Thanks.

Board footer