You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-23 16:45:33

snowhog
Website

[SOLVED] yaourt repository issue

Reinstalling Arch in an Oracle Virtualbox VM. Added the yaourt repository information in /etc/pacman.conf:

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

Executed (while running as root) pacman -Syy and get the following error against the above URL:

error: failed retrieving file 'archlinuxfr.db' from repo.archlinuxfr : Could not resolve host: repo.archlinuxfr
error: failed to update archlinuxfr (download library error)

Why?

Last edited by snowhog (2016-02-24 23:37:58)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize in advance of the facts." - Sherlock Holmes

#2 2016-02-23 16:46:18

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] yaourt repository issue

snowhog wrote:

Reinstalling Arch in an Oracle Virtualbox VM. Added the yaourt repository information in /etc/pacman.conf:

Why?

Moving to AUR issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-02-23 16:48:45

alphaniner

Command output does not jive with the config snippet.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2016-02-23 16:52:38

ewaller
Administrator

How does that file define "Architecture" ;  Mine is set to 'auto'

Do you have a working network connection?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-02-24 21:48:23

snowhog
Website

The problem (seems to me) is the host repo.archlinux.fr doesn't resolve to an IP address. As to the stanza for this repository that was added to /etc/pacman.conf, it is as all the guides say to do it, including the Arch Wiki.

When I installed Arch for the first time a week ago, everything went off fine. Then, this repository, added exactly the same way as this time, resolved. Now it isn't. The actual site URL: http://repo.archlinux.fr is reachable in a browser, so it's valid. Given that, why isn't the host being resolved when running pacman -Sy?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize in advance of the facts." - Sherlock Holmes

#6 2016-02-24 21:51:29

snowhog
Website

ewaller wrote:

How does that file define "Architecture" ;  Mine is set to 'auto'

Do you have a working network connection?

By default, Architecture = auto is enabled (uncommented) in /etc/pacman.conf. Unless the architecture of an added repository needs to be specifically set, you don't need to add an Architecture line in the stanza. And, the $arch 'variable' gets resolved to the architecture of the running system when processed by pacman.

Yes, fully functioning network connection.

Last edited by snowhog (2016-02-24 21:53:03)

#7 2016-02-24 21:56:07

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I think Alphaniner nailed it, but I'll ask again. Why do you want to add this terrible repo?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2016-02-24 22:03:46

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never

error: failed retrieving file 'archlinuxfr.db' from repo.archlinuxfr : Could not resolve host: repo.archlinuxfr

You've manually typed your pacman.conf snippet instead of copy/paste didn't you?

#9 2016-02-24 22:20:53

snowhog
Website

fukawi2 wrote:

[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never

You've manually typed your pacman.conf snippet instead of copy/paste didn't you?

Yes, I did. Thank you. That made me look again, and damn, I typo'd the Server address in the actual stanza in /etc/pacman.conf. I didn't have the . between archlinux and fr.

Doh!

It just goes to show, beware your own eyes truthfulness when looking at your own work.

Fixed the stanza and now it resolves correctly.

Thank you.

#10 2016-02-24 22:54:39

Awebb

I recommend you stop using third party repos for simple AUR packages. The repo only serves one purpose, automatic updates of the package-query package after an incompatible pacman update. However, while package-query keeps up with pacman most of the time, the repository does not, so you will either have an unusable extra package manager from time to time or end up building the package manually.

#11 2016-02-24 22:56:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Awebb wrote:

I recommend you stop using third party repos for simple AUR packages. The repo only serves one purpose, automatic updates of the package-query package after an incompatible pacman update. However, while package-query keeps up with pacman most of the time, the repository does not, so you will either have an unusable extra package manager from time to time or end up building the package manually.

This.

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#12 2016-02-24 23:11:48

snowhog
Website

Thank you both. Advice noted. I've removed yaourt (sudo pacman -R yaourt) and removed the stanza from /etc/pacman.conf and updated the system (sudo pacman -Syu).

Board footer