You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-05 15:16:26

bhanu

Dualboot Arch and Window 10 (uefi)

Hello,

I tried to dual boot windows 10 and arch with boot loader on usb but something gone bad and i was unable to boot into windows also in arch a message popped up something is wrong i have to click logout.

I have windows installed on uefi mode on disk, here is the details of the disk:
/dev/sda
      /dev/sda1
     /dev/sda2  (EFI partion)
     /dev/sda3
     /dev/sda4 (windows  C drive)
    /dev/sda5 ( D drive)
    /dev/sda6 ( E drive)
    /dev/sda7 ( for swap)
    /dev/sda8 (for arch )

/dev/sdb (pendrive)

Steps what i have done :

1. i boot using archiso disk
2. created swap and partition for arch which is in ext4 format i have done this using "cfdisk"
3. swapon /dev/sda7                                                      //turned swapon
4. mkfs.ext4 -L "Arch Linux" /dev/sda8                            //formatting partition for linux
5. mount /dev/sda8 /mnt                                                 //mount the partition or linux

6. pacstap /mnt base                                                      //installed base system

******************************************************************************************
7. mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi                                                 
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot efi                                     //mount efi filesystem
*********************************************************************************************

8. genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab                               //generate fstab
9. arch-chroot /mnt                                                         //chroot into arch installation
10. passwd root                                                              // changing password
11. ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Kolkata  /etc/localtime    //set timezone
12. mkinitcpio -p linux                                                      //generate initial ram disk
13. pacman -Syu grub efibootmgr   
      pacman -Syu efibootmgr

*****************************************************************************************************
14. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg                            //generate grub configuration
15. grub-install /dev/sdb                                                   //install grub into pendrive
****************************************************************************************************

16. pacman -Syu gnome-desktop                                      //install desktop environment
17. useradd -G wheel -s /bin/bash -m -c "Bhanu Sharma" bhanu //add user
18. passwd bhanu                                                           // set password 
19. pacman -Syu xterm vim
20. pacman -Syu gdm                                                     //gnome desktop environment
21. systemctl enable gdm                                                //enable gdm to start on boot
22. exit
23. umount -R /mnt
24. reboot   

// i think commands inside the ****(s) have gone bad

With ubuntu it is so simple i just have to select the pendrive for installation of bootloader from dropdown menu

So if anyone can help me what i have done wrong,and how to do it correctly
i will be trying again tommorow

Last edited by bhanu (2016-03-06 14:18:18)

#2 2016-03-05 18:42:04

vignvig

Re: Dualboot Arch and Window 10 (uefi)

Under point 7, you created a boot/efi dir, where is your backslash between "boot efi" when you are mounting it?

It should read:

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi

#3 2016-03-05 22:45:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bhanu wrote:

boot loader on usb

Please explain this a bit more.

Do you mean that you want the system to only boot with the USB stick plugged in?

I'm not even sure if this is possible with a UEFI system without some workarounds.

bhanu wrote:

something gone bad and i was unable to boot into windows also in arch a message popped up something is wrong i have to click logout.

That is very vague.

Please provide a more detailed description and the actual error message.

See https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

bhanu wrote:

******************************************************************************************
7. mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi                                                 
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot efi                                     //mount efi filesystem
*********************************************************************************************

Which guide are you following?

The Beginner's Guide recommends mounting /boot to the ESP.

EDIT: Also, typo, as noted above.

bhanu wrote:

*****************************************************************************************************
14. grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg                            //generate grub configuration
15. grub-install /dev/sdb                                                   //install grub into pendrive
****************************************************************************************************

That `grub-install` command is incorrect.

You need to follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_guide, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems & https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-03-05 22:46:00)

#4 2016-03-06 10:10:26

Kirkx

6. pacstap /mnt base  //installed base system

Another typo, I hope you actually typed pacstrap

Besides, it helps to also get base-devel, which is needed to get sudo working and install AUR packages:

6. pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel

You have to change your mindset, Arch is unlike most other distros, just follow the Beginners Guide line-by-line. You will learn a lot and you will have a lean system with the latest packages.

Last edited by Kirkx (2016-03-06 10:17:51)

#5 2016-03-06 13:11:22

bhanu

Thanks vignvig, kirkx and Head_on_Stick(thank you so much for such a detailed ans) for reply

I again tried today and dropped the idea of booting from pendrive and followed beginners guide
so i used bootctl instead of grub
Here is the command and output:

#mount /dev/sda2 /boot
#bootctl install

Created "/boot/EFI/systemd".
Created "boot/loder".
Created "/boot/loader/entries".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi".
Copied "/usr/lib/systemd/boot/efi/systemd-bootx64.efi" to "/boot/EFI/Boot/BOOTX64.EFI"
Created EFI boot entry "Linux Boot Manager".

BUT Still i was not able to boot to linux

When i start the computer a promt shows having 3 entries
    Window Boot Manager                                                          //when i click it i boot into windows
    EFI Default Loader                                                               //when i click it a promt appear with 2 entries(Window Boot Manager and Reboot into Firmware Interface)
    Reboot into firmware interface                                               //goes into BIOS

there is no entry to boot into arch             sad
So what to do, to boot into arch and how to get its entry here

Last edited by bhanu (2016-03-06 13:20:10)

#6 2016-03-06 15:37:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bhanu wrote:

Created "/boot/loader/entries"

That's just a directory.

You need to write the configuration file for the menu entry as well ("arch.conf", or so).

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ot_entries

EDIT: The "EFI Default Loader" is the boot entry that will load systemd-boot (via /boot/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI).

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-03-06 15:48:55)

#7 2016-03-07 05:29:48

bhanu

I created this file at /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf and write it as
tile                           Arch Linux
linux                        /vmlinuz-linux
initrd                        /initramfs-linuz.img
options                     root=PARTUUID=d53cb93e-9b21-4cbc-b6cc-468abc06c8b0 rw

I write this file as according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ot_entries

I also do run this command

#efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 8 -l /EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi -L "linux Boot Manager"

and now i getting the error :

Error Loading \vmlinuz-linux: Not Found
Failed to execute Arch Linux (\vmlinuz-linux): Not Found

After that i boot into windows so what to do now

Last edited by bhanu (2016-03-07 05:52:14)

#8 2016-03-07 19:52:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

bhanu wrote:

I also do run this command

#efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 8 -l /EFI/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi -L "linux Boot Manager"

You should use -p 2 instead -- that flag points to the EFI system partition number, you have used the root partition number.

Does the "EFI Default Loader" boot entry work?

Check if vmlinuz-linux is actually present on /dev/sda2

#9 2016-03-08 15:30:01

robster

when you did the partitioning you did make sda2 bootable?
set 2 boot on

Over 60 and very much a Linux newbie.

#10 2016-03-08 20:59:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

robster wrote:

when you did the partitioning you did make sda2 bootable?
set 2 boot on

EFI system partitions should already be flagged as "boot, esp" in parted & gparted so that is not needed wink

#11 2016-03-09 05:08:50

bhanu

Thanks Head_on_a_Stick,

well i able able to dual-boot both OS
This time i used "rEFInd"
Still there are some glitches like D and E drives and not auto-mounting(have entry for them in /etc/fstab) and have many entries in "reEFInd menu" like one for grub, one for systemd

I think i should re-partition my disk again, install windows and then arch and hopefully not make mistakes.

Board footer