You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-06 02:26:28

AtheistSpacePony
Banned
Website

lol I suck... how do I fix this?

So... I'm trying to practice installing arch linux in a virtual machine without the beginner guide... so that I don't have to rely on that all the time...

This is what I got when running mkinitcpio:
http://imgur.com/kMEUKaM

and boot loader install:
http://imgur.com/dd24mzG

tbh I dunno what I did wrong...
I partitioned the drive as you see here:
http://imgur.com/obpUDeZ

I formatted the partitions... I mounted to /mnt... I ran pacstrap /mnt base base-devel... I've generated the fstab... chrooted into /mnt, ran mkinitcpio linux, and then when I got to the bootloader, I failed. Did I miss something?

Thanks a bunch.

Wew lads... that is all...

#2 2016-05-06 02:50:13

alphaniner

Re: lol I suck... how do I fix this?

I think you need to spend some more time with the Install Guide and/or Beginner's Guide, or at least get used to referring to the manpages when a command doesn't turn out as you thought it would.

I can't help you with Grub, but here are a few tips: Your mkinitcpio command is mal-formatted; it's missing an important flag. Use fdisk -l or gdisk -l to demonstrate your partition setup. Lsblk is great, but not the correct tool in this situation because it doesn't show the physical characteristics of partitions.

Also, you're not going to make friends here posting images of text output. I'm pretty sure there's something on the wiki about redirecting, saving, and uploading text output.

Edit: you should also change your title to something that's actually informative.

Last edited by alphaniner (2016-05-06 02:58:11)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-05-06 03:02:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

alphaniner wrote:

Edit: you should also change your title to something that's actually informative.

This. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2016-05-06 03:37:48

Jristz

Look like a limitation on mbr partitions, aparently grub can install if the partitions start in block 0 (I think that why gparted always start from 1M the partitions).

an option is give that 1024 (1M) at the of the disk so grub can sel embeded.

I'm not sure if you can avoid this with syslinux, but I think someother arch using syslinux can answer that.

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#5 2016-05-06 04:06:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Out of curiosity, is installing Arch really something you want to practice? How often do you think you'll need to be doing it?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2016-05-06 04:13:55

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

AtheistSpacePony wrote:

.... without the beginner guide... so that I don't have to rely on that all the time...

Have you referred back to the Beginner Guide now that you've come across a problem? That would solve at least your first error.

Board footer