You are not logged in.

#376 2015-12-30 09:31:12

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I'd suggest looking at Kate , it supports syntax highlighting for many programming languages.

That was not the real question, was it...
Anyway, there are many options to choose from wink

#377 2015-12-31 04:47:05

x33a
Forum Fellow

Woah, the editor wars have begun. Again. tongue

#378 2015-12-31 06:43:41

ewaller
Administrator

x33a wrote:

Woah, the editor wars have begun. Again. tongue

Like any good rivalry, they never end.  But rivalries can only exist between (near) equals.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#379 2016-01-01 06:30:54

nomorewindows

vi will do syntax highlighting.

:syn on

should do.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#380 2016-02-05 01:37:16

sevendogs

Funny thread, I am only coming in about 3 years too late :-)

Linux isn't missing anything feature-wise, for me, but...some things could be improved. My number one complaint is consistent font display across all applications. I am being WM and DE agnostic there, I am used nearly all of them. The other is more modern printer (and scanner) support, although I did just pick up a brand new Canon Canoscan Lide 220 and the sane support is flawless. That's only because I did my homework on what works and what doesn't before I bought. My Brother MFC-7340 works flawlessly under Debian and RPM distros, only because Brother has pre-packaged drivers in those formats. Under Arch, it's a bit more work to get the printer working (thanks AUR!) but I have never been able to get the scanner to work at all, thus my Canon purchase...

All in all, Linux to me is a complete powerhouse. It gives me the control and flexibility to do anything I want to, however I want to. The only thing I ever use one of those "other OS's" for is to play one or two Steam games.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#381 2016-04-09 15:24:09

zacariaz

A common foundation. (preferably Arch wink )

I am a philosopher, of sorts, not a troll or an imbecile.
My apologies that this is not always obvious, despite my best efforts.

#382 2016-04-09 17:49:30

blufinney

blackout23 wrote:
ataraxia wrote:

Leadership.

by Microsoft *ducks away*

Jokes aside I feel that linux is missing a good office suite. OO/LO is nice if you use it for your self and don't demand to much. But let's face it. 90% of all companies world wide probably use MS Office for their work and they require documents to look exactly the same when their partners open them as on their side. You can't just say "Sorry I'm using Open Office I can open your stuff but it looks horrible and the stuff I send you... god knows how it will look like..." Also if you use Excel like a professional you'll quickly see the shortcomings of Calc. If there was native MS Office for Linux I would buy it. Now people will say...but there are open standards! Microsoft should support them! Everyone should use them and it would be problem solved!...Yeah being able to eat all the Pizza you want and don't get fat would also be kind of nice... you know? Just not going to happen.

Logged in just to second this one.  It's hard to hate on something people donate their hard earned free time into, but lets face it, if you work with others who use MS Office, there isn't a native Linux application that is even remotely usable (AFAIK).  Props out to whoever drove the LibreOffice interface changes recently, though.  smile

#383 2016-04-09 18:08:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Erm ... I can't defend OO/LO, but even between different versions of MS office on MS Windows, doc(x) files looks completely different.  Page breaks are at different places, formatting changes.  It's a complete mess.

If you want something to look the same on the recipients computer, send a pdf.

So when someone sends a doc(x) in an email when all that really matters is the text content, I conclude they are an idiot for not just including the text content in the email.  And when someone sends a doc(x) in an email because the format matters I conclude they are an idiot for not just sending something like a pdf that maintains the format.  So to save time, whenever someone sends a doc(x), I just assume they are an idiot and I don't bother assessing for which reason.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#384 2016-04-09 22:09:39

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

So to save time, whenever someone sends a doc(x), I just assume they are an idiot and I don't bother assessing for which reason.

Then Praise The Sun you don't have to collaborate with people on documents. If a client sends you a sheet (say, a CAPA list) and wants you to go over it, fix errors, add your own entries and asks you to send it to a third party, then you cannot simply deny working on it unless somebody writes some CAPA web application, hosts it on some server and creates an account for you.

#385 2016-04-09 23:21:33

TheChickenMan

Trilby wrote:

Erm ... I can't defend OO/LO, but even between different versions of MS office on MS Windows, doc(x) files looks completely different.  Page breaks are at different places, formatting changes.  It's a complete mess.

So when someone sends a doc(x) in an email when all that really matters is the text content, I conclude they are an idiot for not just including the text content in the email.  And when someone sends a doc(x) in an email because the format matters I conclude they are an idiot for not just sending something like a pdf that maintains the format.  So to save time, whenever someone sends a doc(x), I just assume they are an idiot and I don't bother assessing for which reason.

I wish I could get this printed on a T-shirt.
What I cannot understand are the people that specifically ASK for a "word document format" file.
Thankfully most people have moved on in life and now specify a PDF if anything.

If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet.
Niels Bohr

#386 2016-04-10 00:11:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Awebb wrote:

Then Praise The Sun you don't have to collaborate with people on documents... you cannot simply deny working on it

I do have do collaborate on such things, and I don't deny working on it.  But I can multitask: I can work on the document and think they are idiots. wink

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#387 2016-04-10 09:58:53

Awebb

Trilby wrote:
Awebb wrote:

Then Praise The Sun you don't have to collaborate with people on documents... you cannot simply deny working on it

I do have do collaborate on such things, and I don't deny working on it.  But I can multitask: I can work on the document and think they are idiots. wink

That's the spirit. Remember to complain all the time while doing a great job! :-D

#388 2016-05-23 01:27:57

Fabs

A fully free open source software replacement as good or better than skype. So far applications like tox, linphone, jitsi are a major fail and cannot compete with the outdatted skype version for linux.

#389 2016-05-23 10:02:34

Morn

Fabs wrote:

A fully free open source software replacement as good or better than skype. So far applications like tox, linphone, jitsi are a major fail and cannot compete with the outdatted skype version for linux.

How about Firefox Hello? I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look too bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEPq4xFGzG0 (And despite the name, it actually works in browsers other than Firefox. Or at least you only need Firefox to start the call.)

Last edited by Morn (2016-05-23 10:29:22)

#390 2016-05-23 15:37:08

AaronBP
Website

Trilby wrote:

Libreoffice in web-mode is actually a really good editor for prose. Gedit? Not so much. Libreoffice can save in plain text as well, but odt is easier for my colleagues to import than utf-8, and more convenient for me than having to constantly convert utf-8 to mac os roman, or whatever it is my human editor is using.

Think of it this way: document formats are not about making yourself happy. They're about making everybody equally miserable.

#391 2016-05-23 19:48:58

Roken

I'm the only person at work using LO, since we have a subscription to Office 360. To date, I'm the only one that can open any document. That tells me enough about proprietary software.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#392 2016-05-24 05:08:51

macstar3000

antivirus software, firewall and most of these 'amazing' tuning tools windows has. ooops not needed i forgot. really, thanks to steam, i don't miss anything.

#393 2016-05-24 08:13:49

JohnBobSmith

An attitude and desire to learn about computers and technology from the masses. Seriously, Windows/OSX has created a potentially terrible situation of learned helplessness. What happens when they (MS/OSX) no longer exist? I don't want to see that day, so I use Linux.

Last edited by JohnBobSmith (2016-05-24 08:19:09)

I am diagnosed with bipolar disorder. As it turns out, what I thought was my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength.

Everyday, I make a conscious choice to overcome my challenges and my problems. It's not easy, but its better than the alternative...

#394 2016-05-25 12:27:12

nbd

macstar3000 wrote:

antivirus software, firewall and most of these 'amazing' tuning tools windows has. ooops not needed i forgot. really, thanks to steam, i don't miss anything.

> ooops not needed

What is that common way on Linux to prevent a program from phoning home? E.g. Atom editor doesn't have an option to turn off checking for automatical updates (only for not installing them automatically).  On Windows I simply would add it to the firewall block list. What is a similar simple way on Linux? (Apart from not using it or studying source code, modifying it and compiling a custom version.)

bing different

#395 2016-05-25 13:03:00

Lone_Wolf

What is that common way on Linux to prevent a program from phoning home?

write an iptables rule to block it ?
( or use one of the many frontends for iptables,just search for firewall on archwiki  )

In my opinion every network device should have a firewall running,my personal favorite is "Simple stateful firewall" .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#396 2016-05-25 13:09:42

null

nbd wrote:
macstar3000 wrote:

> ooops not needed

What is that common way on Linux to prevent a program from phoning home? E.g. Atom editor doesn't have an option to turn off checking for automatical updates (only for not installing them automatically).  On Windows I simply would add it to the firewall block list. What is a similar simple way on Linux? (Apart from not using it or studying source code, modifying it and compiling a custom version.)

Use a firewall: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewalls . Or add the domain your editor is phoning to to your /etc/hosts file and let it send data to ::1.

Just because there are as good as no viruses for Linux, it doesn't mean they don't matter and you can just be the carrier. Don't give your Windows using family, friends or collegues those.
There's sophos which is a rather professional antivirus program that also comes with kernel modules for on-access file scanning; or ClamAV which is FOSS but doesn't has the best testing score..

#397 2016-05-25 13:39:33

nbd

Lone_Wolf wrote:

What is that common way on Linux to prevent a program from phoning home?

write an iptables rule to block it ?

This is what I'm using. But AFAIK iptables doesn't block individual applications by their executable path. So the best way I could came up with is to grant the network access to a dedicated separate user account and run programs that need network access from it and block the network for all others.

bing different

#398 2016-05-25 14:51:38

drcouzelis
Website

nbd wrote:

Atom editor doesn't have an option to turn off checking for automatical updates (only for not installing them automatically).

If true, ew. I do find it a little hard to believe though, since it's open source software, and it is standard practice in Linux to have the package manager update software and not the software itself.

Even so, I'm sticking with Vim. Atom has too much internet in it for my liking. tongue

#399 2016-05-25 15:13:55

nbd

drcouzelis wrote:
nbd wrote:

Atom editor doesn't have an option to turn off checking for automatical updates (only for not installing them automatically).

I do find it a little hard to believe though, since it's open source software, and it is standard practice in Linux to have the package manager update software and not the software itself.

This is where my surprise came from.

bing different

#400 2016-05-26 22:56:37

Steef435
Website

drcouzelis wrote:
nbd wrote:

If true, ew. I do find it a little hard to believe though, since it's open source software, and it is standard practice in Linux to have the package manager update software and not the software itself.

Even so, I'm sticking with Vim. Atom has too much internet in it for my liking. tongue

And too lacking vi-like bindings, last time I checked. Too bad, I really liked the idea and how it looked.

Linux is missing a good GUI-toolkit-agnostic vim-like interface library with maintained bindings for all major toolkits! I think it would involve quantum physics and rocket science though. And a whole lot of arguments ^^

Last edited by Steef435 (2016-05-26 22:57:02)

Board footer