You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-01 18:24:46

nokangaroo

Anchor code tags to beginning of line

I just had massive problems posting because of something in square brackets that wasn't in code tags. The site reports an error but fails to help me find it. It seems that I am not the only victim of this, so I propose a simple modification: Anchor the code tags to the beginning of the line, then you can simply indent them if you want to use literal text in square brackets.

#2 2016-06-01 18:31:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Anchor code tags to beginning of line

Open a ticket upstream: this isn't anything we have any control over.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-06-01 18:46:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

nokangaroo wrote:

I just had massive problems posting because of something in square brackets that wasn't in code tags. The site reports an error but fails to help me find it.

Can you describe what you are trying to post?  I read your other thread (why do you need two for this same issue?) and I can replicate the "problem" but when I do the error page clearly specifies exactly what the problem is.

It seems that I am not the only victim of this

You keep saying this, but I see no evidence that this is true.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-06-01 18:48:47

ewaller
Administrator

Long story short: There was a piece of code being posted outside of code tags that involved [] for an array and an index of 'i' betwixt them.  The system was complaining of a missing [ \i]

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-06-01 18:52:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes, I got that story.  I have no idea why the OP feels that the error wasn't highlighted.  It was.  I don't know why the OP feels this is a bug in the webpage when it is simple user error.  And I definitely have no idea why the OP feels the need to slander the forum software as "sucking" and being "petty" when he has simply failed to read the instructions and failed to read error output.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-06-01 20:02:00

Lone_Wolf

I do understand what OP means.

Trilby, try posting something with mulitple  blocks, omitting one /   .

The error cause is clear, but you have to look thoroughly over your wholepost to find the spot where the error occurred.

If the errormessage in some way indicated the start of the line where the error originates it would be much easier to find the incorrect spot.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2016-06-01 20:05:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I have tried.  The error message specifies exactly what the problem is.  It doesn't give line numbers, this is true, but that's really here nor there.  If you are pasting blocks of code with multiple array indices that you'd have to search through as plain text then you are wrong.  In fact having multiple array indices is irrelevant: if you are pasting blocks of code as plain text, you are wrong.  The right way to post code is well documented.  The error message clearly specifies what has gone wrong.  There is no bug here.

My aggressive response to this would not have been so if it was phrased as a feature request for a more detailed error message.  The problem is the tone in which it was presented "there is a bug" "I've done everything right" "there was no error message" - the first is incorrect exaggeration, the second is just crap, and the third is a blatant lie.

#8 2016-06-01 23:00:48

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

Open a ticket upstream: this isn't anything we have any control over.

Just to elaborate on this, the forum administrators keep our installation of the software as close to upstream as possible, which eases administration (especially upgrades). Site-specific patches are definitely a no-no, so any changes you would like should be directed upstream, which if accepted will quickly flow down to our installation (due to it being kept "clean" to make upgrades easy!)

#9 2016-06-02 15:35:55

nokangaroo

Sorry, I had no intention to open pandora's box. I just tried to register at FluxBB to post the issue there, but I keep getting logged out. This software IS buggy, but of course that's nobody's fault here. Can we close this? I will keep trying at FluxBB.

#10 2016-06-02 15:36:30

ewaller
Administrator

Closed, by request

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer