You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-13 10:34:46

Komodo

A few quick questions

A few quick 'uns that I've meant to ask for a while:

:arrow:  A large patchset is applied to the Arch kernel atm; is there anywhere that has a description of what each of the patches does? Whenever upgrading the kernel, I always make a custom build, but I have to google each patch name separately to find out what it's for.

:arrow:  Do fbsplash and bootsplash provide the same functionality? Googling suggests that they do, and that bootsplash is worse...

:arrow:  Xerxes2 used this command in a thread I read recently:

â,¬ ps aux | grep udevd

What function to the characters preceding ps perform, and how would you produce the a-circumflex manually (Alt + numerical combination?)

:arrow:  Can someone remind me of the terminal command/variable used to display the escape characters set for backspace, delete etc?

:arrow: What does the image produced by mkinitramfs kernel=kernelX actually contain, and what does the '--full' parameter alter?

:arrow: The Beyond stable kernel doesn't seem to be put into /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 , so where does it go?

Thanks

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-05-13 21:41:20

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: A few quick questions

Komodo wrote:

:arrow:  Do fbsplash and bootsplash provide the same functionality? Googling suggests that they do, and that bootsplash is worse...

I think bootsplash is unmaintained. If you want to use this kind of stuff, better use fbsplash/gensplash. Just install the beyond kernel and the gensplash stuff from community. And read the docs/wiki as there's some extra config to do.

Komodo wrote:

:arrow: What does the image produced by mkinitramfs kernel=kernelX actually contain, and what does the '--full' parameter alter?

It contain the modules needed to boot your root partition, i.e. modules for HD controllers and filesystems. Unless I'm mistaken, the --full parameter includes all the HD controllers and filesystems in the image even if they are not needed for your system.

Komodo wrote:

:arrow: The Beyond stable kernel doesn't seem to be put into /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 , so where does it go?
[/list]

/var/abs/extra/kernels/kernel26beyond

#3 2006-05-13 21:46:10

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

As to
â,¬ ps aux | grep udevd
IMHO, the stuff before ps looks like garbage. Could be a part of the prompt that was copied and messed up.

#4 2006-05-13 22:08:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Komodo wrote:

:arrow:  A large patchset is applied to the Arch kernel atm; is there anywhere that has a description of what each of the patches does? Whenever upgrading the kernel, I always make a custom build, but I have to google each patch name separately to find out what it's for.

I've always found the patch filenames to be descriptive enough e.g. alsa-2.6.17.patch backports alsa functionality from the upcoming 2.6.17 kernel. If you want more than that, I think the closest you'll get, apart from Google, would be  the CVS log entries.

#5 2006-05-13 23:25:49

Komodo

Thanks for your replies guys.

Snowman wrote:

As to
â,¬ ps aux | grep udevd
IMHO, the stuff before ps looks like garbage. Could be a part of the prompt that was copied and messed up.

I'm certain it was intentional, since the poster mentioned the command in 3 separate posts.

If anyone can answer my other questions too, I'd be much obliged smile

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#6 2006-05-14 08:43:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Snowman's right - it's just garbage. I mean, have you ever seen those characters used like that anywhere else? I haven't.

#7 2006-05-14 09:18:30

Komodo

tomk wrote:

Snowman's right - it's just garbage. I mean, have you ever seen those characters used like that anywhere else? I haven't.

True; it's a bit weird that Xerxes2 left them in there every time he mentioned it though.. nonetheless, you must be right that it's garbage.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

Board footer