You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-24 14:19:45

bufferunderflow

Skype/Steam and other applications only refresh on mouse movement

I recently did a `pacman -Syu` and noticed that now some applications only refresh the screen upon mouse movement.
E.g. on skype if I type the test will be only visible after a delay in bigger intervals. If I move the mouse while typing it will immediately refresh.
On steam it is even more extrem: A game will run and the sound effects a.s.o. will progress normally, but the the screen will be frozen until the mouse is moved.

I reinstalled everything that I think has to do with the nvidia driver (everything a `pacman -Ss nvidia | grep installed` showed:
"nvidia, -settings, -utils, bumblebee, (lib32-)opencl-nvidia, (lib32-)libvdpau, lib32-nvidia-utils.
The problem remains.

The refreshing seems to work fine for other applications: chromium, gimp, mplayer...
Any ideas/suggestions on what the issue is?

Additional information

From lspci:
3dcontroler: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 840M]
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics controller.

glxgears:
If run with optirun it refreshes every second without mouse movment, (mousemovements will cause immediate refresh)
primus run refreshes normally.

However: if I run skype via optirun or primusrun it still does not refresh properly...

dmesg yields the following message:

vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
(searchin that right now)

Last edited by bufferunderflow (2016-06-24 14:47:31)

#2 2016-06-25 05:51:26

bufferunderflow

Re: Skype/Steam and other applications only refresh on mouse movement

After more searching yesterday I came upon two results on the bumblebee github issue tracker:
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu … issues/159
and
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu … /issues/42

One however in the end relate to a kernel patch that needs to apply and was made part of the kernel (as far as I understand)  in 2013, the other is unresolved and idle since December 2015. It might be an issue with bumblebee and the proprietary nvidia drivers. Going to try setting bios to only use the non nvidia card and downgrading the drivers +bumblbee.
However, that this issue occurs with skype which should not use nvidia at all is very strange...

#3 2016-06-26 11:40:20

V1del
Forum Moderator

The issue is with the intel driver in kernel 4.6 and interaction with xf86-video-intel, possible solutions would be uninstalling xf86-video-intel and using the modesetting driver (which apparently breaks some applications therefore isn't that ideal of a solution) or using the LTS Kernel for the time being, see also e.g. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=213533

#4 2016-07-02 20:14:41

bufferunderflow

Thx! this solved the issue! Can e closed

Board footer