You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-27 19:22:39

Inseighn

Cannot bring up network device during install, Lenovo Laptop.

PLEASE READ THE FULL POST BEFORE RESPONDING, I HAVE TRIED THE BASIC READING/TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS ALWAYS POSTED ALREADY.

Original post on HERE

So I am trying to install Arch on a laptop that I currently have Ubuntu installed on. I cannot directly connect this to my LAN, but I do have access to Wifi. So, when I do:

ifconfig

only my loopback and physical NIC are shown.

iw dev

my wlan (called wlp2s0) is shown, and  almost every time I try

iw dev set wlp2s0 up

I am told

Operation not possible due to rfkill.

So here is what I've tried:

1. I have done a "rfkill list" this shows me two Wireless LAN devices (possibly conflicting?) they are:

0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no

2: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no

Okay, so my device is soft-blocked. Whenever I try: "rfkill unblock all" the blocks switch and "rfkill list" shows:

0: ideapad_wlan: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

2: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

This exact same behavior happens when I press the "hardware button" on my laptop that disables wifi. (It is the "airplane mode" button).
I thought this may be a conflicting issue between the wireless devices, so I looked for the module that is loading ideapad_wlan which is the module "ideapad_laptop". Whenever I tried "rmmod -vf ideapad_laptop" (or "modprobe -rf ideapad_laptop") the entire system hangs and I cannot do anything without shutting my laptop down and restarting.

I managed to blacklist the module at startup (by appending modprobe.blacklist=ideapad_laptop to the boot parameters) which works and makes "rfkill list" only show one device, but the hard/soft blocks still remain enabled 100% of the time and only swap places when I press the hardware button / "rfkill unblock all".

I am not sure how to further troubleshoot this issue. I don't know whether I should keep trying to just abandon this laptop.

#2 2016-06-27 20:18:17

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Cannot bring up network device during install, Lenovo Laptop.

What is the NIC hardware involved here?    You asserted you read the documentation, but you did not specify which documentation.
Is there a chance you are missing the firmware for your device type?
Did the wifi work during the installation of Arch? Missed this in the thread title

Last edited by ewaller (2016-06-27 20:42:38)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-06-27 20:30:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

This sounds identical to recurrent problems on the Lenovo S10-3.  The only solution to date (for the S10-3) is either to reinable wireless through some windows-only interface or to open the case and physically remove the CMOS battery briefly for a reset.  Most S10-3 users then superglue the hardware toggle into the on position as it functions as a one-way kill switch that cannot be undone.

This sounds absurd, but some time ago I did extensive exploration and experimentation with this issue, and to the best of my knowledge there are no other options.  Is this an S10-3?  If not, what model of Lenov is it?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-06-27 23:29:48

Inseighn

I'm sorry,  the Wireless NIC is "Rtl8723be"  and the kernel module is loaded in under the same name.

The laptop in question is a Lenovo z50-75

#5 2016-07-04 15:41:44

Inseighn

So I'm going to bump this since it's been a few days. I tried installing a few other distros, and debian/ubuntu were the only ones that did not trigger the rfkill problem.
During install, it looks like the same kernel modules are loaded though (I was hoping there was something I missed that I could load and hopefully solve my problem). Not sure where to go, but I guess it's what I get for not getting open hardware smile

Last edited by Inseighn (2016-07-04 15:43:00)

#6 2016-07-04 15:49:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You bumped without bothing to answer the questions that had already been posed to you?  What model of Lenovo is this?

EDIT: sorry! I'm really out of it today.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2016-07-04 20:12:33

Inseighn

I did answer the questions in my previous response.

#8 2016-07-06 00:19:40

Inseighn

Alright, I have found some more information about the driver. For one, it (and the card) suck are are notorious for intermittent disconnects, now this isn't exactly my problem since I cannot get it to connect to begin with (and therefore it cannot be dropped) but I figured I'd try some of the solutions offered to those just to see what would happen. I have debian installed currently and it is WORKING. Thank god I can atleast use linux with this machine, but there should now be no excuse for arch to not work or to at least figure out a way to get it to work.

This is the driver module, as noted above:

rtl8723be

It is suggested, to turn the module parameter "fwlps" (the power saving feature of the card) off. So I have tried the following:

rmmod rtl8723be
modprobe rtl8723be fwlps=0

Which does NOT change the parameter value when viewing with "modinfo rtl8723be".

That being said, I also tried booting with the following:

rtl8723be.fwlps=0

to see if that would work, and once again the parameter value is not being set to what I want it to be.
I have also tried both of the following with "N" instead of "0", still no dice. I have an intel-wifi pci card in another laptop I am about to take out and put into this one but I am trying to exhaust every option possible beforehand.

Board footer