You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-29 13:19:44

takenji1989

802.1x Authentication on Wired Ethernet (wpa_supplicant)

My workplace recently started requiring 802.1x authentication for their wired Ethernet, and I've been having some trouble getting it going.  It was easy enough getting wpa_supplicant to start via systemctl start wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0.service, but that doesn't get an IP address via DHCP.  I can run dhclient manually to get an IP address, but that's not going to work since this machine is sometimes started via Wake-on-LAN.

Previously, I was using netctl with a simple profile to get it running, but that doesn't seem to want to work with wpa_supplicant.  This is what I ended up with in my netctl eth0 configuration:

Description='A basic dhcp ethernet connection'
Interface=eth0
Connection=ethernet
Security=wpa-config
WPAConfigFile='/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wired-eth0.conf'
IP=dhcp
IP6=stateless

However, the 'ethernet' connection type doesn't seem to know how to do handle 802.1x via wpa_supplicant, as wpa_supplicant is never run with that profile and it just tries to get an IP address via DHCP without it.

Is there a way to do this?  I don't need to use netctl by any means, but I do need DHCP automatically started after wpa_supplicant starts.

#2 2016-06-29 14:18:55

Slithery
Administrator

Re: 802.1x Authentication on Wired Ethernet (wpa_supplicant)

Try using systemd-networkd to handle your wired connection, it should start after the wpa_supplicant-wired@eth0 service.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … using_DHCP

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer