You are not logged in.

#301 2016-06-09 13:08:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

I just had severe problems with qutebrowser this morning.  It took several seconds to start up.  Any keybinding (e.g. to open a quickmark) took several seconds to register.  And then typing in textboxes in the forum here every keypress took 2-3 seconds to register.  This made it impossible to use.  I don't think this is qutebrowser per-se as I cleared my cache and tried with a new profile, and the same problem existed.  I switched from [community]/qutebrowser to qutebrowser-git from the AUR, and the problem persisted.  I rebooted a couple times, yet the problem persisited.  I checked my pacman log and all that was updated since it last worked was the kernel (4.5.4-1 -> 4.6.1-2) and nss (3.23-4 -> 3.24-1).

I downgraded both of these back to the versions I had yesterday and the problem is gone.  I'm at work now so I can't investigate further just yet (I will tonight), but I thought I'd drop this note here in case others run into a similar problem.

EDIT: seems to be the same issue as the following thread with a misleading title:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=213533

I guess qutebrowser is the only program that makes me bother having a gui toolkit installed tongue

EDIT 2: I intended to investigate this tonight, but there is no issue on my home computer - it seems to be from an interaction between the new kernel (or nss) and some hardware and/or configuration.  In any case discussion of this issue will be best on the thread linked above.

EDIT 3: I just removed xf86-video-intel and am now using modesetting, and everything works fine now.

Last edited by Trilby (2016-06-10 02:07:37)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#302 2016-06-09 18:29:46

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Hmm, I'm at a conference until sunday and qemu pulling in gtk3 made me postpone the upgrade yesterday. I guess that I got very lucky this time...

#303 2016-06-09 19:28:08

The Compiler
Website

FWIW I just made sure I had the packages to downgrade locally, and then upgraded and rebooted - no issues here.

Intel graphics as well: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#304 2016-06-12 20:15:45

toucan

Does anyone know how to bind create a binding so that it will execute a command that takes the next key pressed as input?

For example, the (really nice) new positional marks can be set with `+<next-key-pressed>. I would like to configure qutebrowser so that I can do m+<next-key-pressed> to create a positional mark from the next key pressed, but I cannot find a way to do this. Binding :set-mark to m only causes an error, since the set-mark command takes a key as an argument.

Thanks.

#305 2016-06-12 20:32:44

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

You can set a binding to 'set-cmd-text -s :set-mark'. When you press the associated binding, the ':set-mark' will appear in the command prompt, so that you can type the key and press enter to launch.

#306 2016-06-12 20:49:48

toucan

I have that set up currently, but I find having to press enter a little annoying relative to just pressing the key and the letter (a la Vimperator, Vim, and Zathura). Is there currently any way around that?

Thank you.

Last edited by toucan (2016-06-12 20:50:10)

#307 2016-06-12 21:56:21

The Compiler
Website

There's no generic way to do this for any command right now, but for the marks, all ' and ` do is to actually enter dedicated keyboard modes via :enter-mode jump_mark and :enter-mode set_mark. You should be able to bind any other key to that.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#308 2016-06-12 22:08:58

toucan

The Compiler wrote:

There's no generic way to do this for any command right now, but for the marks, all ' and ` do is to actually enter dedicated keyboard modes via :enter-mode jump_mark and :enter-mode set_mark. You should be able to bind any other key to that.

Perfect. More generally, thank you for all your great work on the browser.

#309 2016-06-13 16:14:55

teateawhy
Website

#310 2016-06-13 17:00:39

The Compiler
Website

I'm following that project since the beginning, it was one of the motivations to keep QtWebKit support in parallel with QtWebEngine smile

I already played with it a bit, and with a few patches (most of them upstreamed now) it works fine apart from session saving.

I still think QtWebEngine is the better solution though, because it's simply the better backend.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#311 2016-06-16 12:59:55

tmp-meteque

Anyone has tried using whatsapp web? I can't scan the QR code. In firefox I don't have any issue using the same phone.

Other QR codes work just fine in qutebrowser, it's weird.

IBM Lenovo T430

#312 2016-06-16 13:41:29

The Compiler
Website

tmp-meteque wrote:

Anyone has tried using whatsapp web? I can't scan the QR code. In firefox I don't have any issue using the same phone.

Other QR codes work just fine in qutebrowser, it's weird.

I've heard about this issue before - it's one of many things which will be solved by the upcoming QtWebEngine backend.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#313 2016-06-29 22:56:05

matfurla

Hi,

I'm been using the qutebrowser for couple weeks now and i'm having two problems that I really can't solve. The first one I cannot by any means update adblock through :adblock-update, it just fails every time. The second one is what bothers me more, I cannot watch youtube in resolutions higher than 480p, when I try 720p the browser crashes and I need to switch back the resolution, I have already installed all the necessary gstreamer packages and even played a little with hardware-acceleration, but it did not solve the problem.

I would really appreciate some help.

P.S. Sorry for my english I'm brazilian

#314 2016-07-03 16:30:46

The Compiler
Website

matfurla wrote:

The first one I cannot by any means update adblock through :adblock-update, it
just fails every time.

How exactly does it fail?

matfurla wrote:

The second one is what bothers me more, I cannot watch youtube in resolutions higher than 480p, when I try 720p the browser crashes and I need to switch back the resolution, I have already installed all the necessary gstreamer packages and even played a little with hardware-acceleration, but it did not solve the problem.

If you have gstreamer-vaapi installed, can you try uninstalling it?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#315 2016-07-03 19:29:41

matfurla

First thanks to answer The Compiler

The Compiler wrote:

It shows a message in red in the top of the tabs "hosts [100%|?.?B] - Socket operation timed out"

The Compiler wrote:

Well, uninstall gstreamer-vaapi actually helped a little, the browser does not crashes anymore when I choose 720p, but its impossible to watch videos because it just shows a frozen image. After watching some videos I noticed that now even 360p videos started freezing after some time playing.

Last edited by matfurla (2016-07-03 23:19:45)

#316 2016-07-07 10:37:24

The Compiler
Website

matfurla wrote:

First thanks to answer The Compiler

The Compiler wrote:

It shows a message in red in the top of the tabs "hosts [100%|?.?B] - Socket operation timed out"

That's odd - can you reproduce it when you start qutebrowser with --temp-basedir too? If yes, can you please do :report after reproducing it so I can see the debug logs?

matfurla wrote:
The Compiler wrote:

Well, uninstall gstreamer-vaapi actually helped a little, the browser does not crashes anymore when I choose 720p, but its impossible to watch videos because it just shows a frozen image. After watching some videos I noticed that now even 360p videos started freezing after some time playing.

Ugh... not much I can do about this I'm afraid until the QtWebEngine backend is ready.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#317 2016-07-07 20:15:47

matfurla

The Compiler wrote:

That's odd - can you reproduce it when you start qutebrowser with --temp-basedir too? If yes, can you please do :report after reproducing it so I can see the debug logs?

I was able to reproduce the error and report.

The Compiler wrote:

Ugh... not much I can do about this I'm afraid until the QtWebEngine backend is ready.

Ok, thanks for your help anyways.

I must say that your browser really shines upon others. Congratulations from Brazil for your work and dedication.

#318 2016-07-08 10:05:36

The Compiler
Website

matfurla wrote:
The Compiler wrote:

I was able to reproduce the error and report.

There are two issues here:

• It seems qutebrowser can't download http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts - can you do from another browser, or is this something about your connection or the server?

• qutebrowser doesn't finish processing the adblock lists when a download failed it seems - I opened #1634 for that.

As a workaround, you can edit the content -> host-block-lists setting and remove the someonewhocares one, then you should be able to successfully run :adblock-update.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#319 2016-07-09 11:21:47

matfurla

The Compiler wrote:

As a workaround, you can edit the content -> host-block-lists setting and remove the someonewhocares one, then you should be able to successfully run :adblock-update.

Alright, it solved the issue. Thank you.

#320 2016-07-17 12:00:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

backend=webengine is coming along very well.  It's awesome to be able to be able to watch netflix and amazon video in my regular browser - I can finally ditch that bloated beast of another browser I had installed just for that purpose.

At the moment I can't get hulu video working - but I haven't tinkered with it any yet.  I think chromium needed widevine for that.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#321 2016-07-18 09:59:22

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:

backend=webengine is coming along very well.  It's awesome to be able to be able to watch netflix and amazon video in my regular browser - I can finally ditch that bloated beast of another browser I had installed just for that purpose.

At the moment I can't get hulu video working - but I haven't tinkered with it any yet.  I think chromium needed widevine for that.

WideVine should work with Qt 5.7 if it's installed - see this blog post.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#322 2016-07-18 11:35:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, perhaps widevine is working as netflix plays.  Hulu must be something different.

#323 2016-07-19 04:25:13

ids1024
Website

Trilby wrote:

Thanks, perhaps widevine is working as netflix plays.  Hulu must be something different.

Maybe Hulu is blocking unrecognized user agents?

"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it."—Linus Torvalds
s/ftp/git/

https://iandouglasscott.com | https://github.org/ids1024 | https://keybase.io/ids1024

#324 2016-07-22 13:07:32

peyloride

Am i the only one who gets a lot of SSL errors when opening any page? I just cant use QuteBrowser because of this.

#325 2016-07-27 08:02:10

The Compiler
Website

peyloride wrote:

Am i the only one who gets a lot of SSL errors when opening any page? I just cant use QuteBrowser because of this.

I get SSL errors with pages with invalid SSL certificates wink

Qt uses OpenSSL, so you could find out more via openssl s_client -connect example.com:443.

Maybe you updated your system (and thus certificates) without updating pacman first? You could try running sudo update-ca-trust by hand.

File "<stdin>", line 1

Board footer