You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-07 11:24:09

admsimat

Netctl issue if router is down during boot

Hello,
I have recently noticed a rather annoying issue with netctl on my linux box. My computer is always on, and its wired connection is managed via netctl. Sometimes power supply fails, and the computer reboots. If the router is still down, netctl tries to enable my ethernet interface during boot, but of course no traffic is possible.
This is good, but the bad thing is that the interface remains isolated even after the router has come up again. The result is that my computer is offline after each blackout.

How could I have my computer "see" that the data connection is again available, without a reboot (of the machine or of the service)?

#2 2016-07-07 14:04:11

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Netctl issue if router is down during boot

The direct answer to your question is to use ifplugd.
As a suggestion for a wired network, consider systemd-network over netctl.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-07-07 14:25:58

alphaniner

Re: Netctl issue if router is down during boot

If you use dhcp, it might be necessary to increase the timeout regardless of which method you use. Then again I've never used systemd-network which may have a 'keep trying until success but don't block boot' option.

An alternative would be to use a static configuration and, in the case of netctl, put "SkipNoCarier=Yes" in the profile.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

Board footer