You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-10 08:43:03

archolmes

OpenVPN works only thru command line NOT NetworkManager

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to the PIA vpn via Network Manager, but my connection always fails immediately.

Although when I test a vpn connection via the command line using openvpn I am successful.

This tells me that openvpn probably has insufficient rights to connect via network manager.

I thought adding my user name (and even root) to the /etc/group file under "nm-openvpn:x:994" would fix this, but to no avail

How I try connecting via Network Manager:
1) add network: VPN
    from file
2) select ovpn file from the available files provided in the openvpn.zip PIA has
3) enter credentials and click OK

Would someone know how I can resolve this? I would prefer to use network manager rather than running the command every time I want to connect via openvpn.

Thanks ahead of time!!

#2 2016-07-15 00:21:18

wilberfan

Re: OpenVPN works only thru command line NOT NetworkManager

This is of no help, but I came here to ask about the same issue.  I began experiencing this after a recent system update.

[edit]  I had to manually edit all of the VPN connections via nm-connection-editor.  The CA Certificate was missing for one thing.  This thread ( https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/priv … ccess-vpn/ ) mentions having to change the default port to 1198 and the security to cipher aes-128-cbc ...

Last edited by wilberfan (2016-07-15 01:53:19)

Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

#3 2016-07-15 16:30:25

mxknight77

Re: OpenVPN works only thru command line NOT NetworkManager

wilberfan wrote:

This is of no help, but I came here to ask about the same issue.  I began experiencing this after a recent system update.

[edit]  I had to manually edit all of the VPN connections via nm-connection-editor.  The CA Certificate was missing for one thing.  This thread ( https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/priv … ccess-vpn/ ) mentions having to change the default port to 1198 and the security to cipher aes-128-cbc ...

You're awesome. I was having a simliar issue. I'm using network manager and I went into the advanced settings and changed the security to aes-128-cbc now its working!

Board footer