You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 19:20:29

remn

Ethernet stopped working

The ethernet suddenly stopped working on my laptop. I tried following instructions from the "Network configuration" wiki page, but ran into the following problem:

When I run "ip link" it lists the state of the ethernet controller as down. So I ran

ip link set enp2s0 up

But when I run "ip link" after that the controller's state still says "down" and I have no ethernet.

Even though I run the command as root it does not change the state of the controller. How can I get the ethernet to work again?

#2 2016-07-19 20:30:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Ethernet stopped working

Are there any error messages returned after you use the command?

Does this problem occur if you load up a live ISO image?

Can you elimnate hardware failure? Perhaps there is a problem with the cable and/or connectors.

#3 2016-07-19 23:07:55

remn

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Are there any error messages returned after you use the command?

Does this problem occur if you load up a live ISO image?

Can you elimnate hardware failure? Perhaps there is a problem with the cable and/or connectors.

No error message. I input the command and it just goes to a new command line prompt with no message.

I'm using the same cable on a different laptop and it's working fine. I tried all 3 USB ports on the other laptop, so I don't think it's a connector issue. I guess it's possible that the controller went through hardware failure, just wondering if there's something else I can try.

#4 2016-07-19 23:23:20

ewaller
Administrator

remn wrote:

I tried all 3 USB ports on the other laptop, so I don't think it's a connector issue. I guess it's possible that the controller went through hardware failure, just wondering if there's something else I can try.

Um. hmm Perhaps you need to explain a little more.  USB ports?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-07-20 03:40:34

remn

ewaller wrote:
remn wrote:

I tried all 3 USB ports on the other laptop, so I don't think it's a connector issue. I guess it's possible that the controller went through hardware failure, just wondering if there's something else I can try.

Um. hmm Perhaps you need to explain a little more.  USB ports?

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I use a usb ethernet adapter.

Here's another strange thing: Normally I keep my wifi disabled. But I tried enabling it since ethernet is down, and it won't let me enable that either. When I run

ip link set wlp3s0 up

I get the following error message:

"Operation not possible due to RF-kill".

I don't know if that's connected to the ethernet issue. The name "RF-kill" seems wifi-specific, and as I said I don't get any error messages when I run that command for the ethernet adapter. But it's strange that I can't enable either adapter.

#6 2016-07-20 03:54:17

ewaller
Administrator

For the wifi issue, what is the output of rfkill list  ?
The name enp2s0 is not what I would expect for a USB device.
Compare the output of ip link with the device attached and not attached.

Also, check what lines are added to the journal when you connect the USB NIC.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2016-07-20 05:01:39

remn

ewaller wrote:

For the wifi issue, what is the output of rfkill list  ?
The name enp2s0 is not what I would expect for a USB device.
Compare the output of ip link with the device attached and not attached.

Also, check what lines are added to the journal when you connect the USB NIC.

That was the wrong name for the usb adapter, that one is enp0s20u3. It wasn't connected when I ran ip link, screwed that part up. I was able to change status to UP for enp0s20u3, but I still can't connect to ethernet with the usb adapter. It does work on my other laptop though.

I ran "rfkill list" but it said "rfkill: command not found".

That last part went over my head. What journal should I check and how do I connect the USB NIC?

Last edited by remn (2016-07-20 05:03:40)

#8 2016-07-20 07:16:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please stop describing terminal output and start actually posting it verbatim.

If you had simply posted the full output of `ip link` in the OP it would have saved a lot of time...

I still can't connect to ethernet with the usb adapter

Can you bring the (correct) interface up?

Can you connect manually?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration

To install rfkill, you can download the .pkg.tar.xz manually on a different machine, transfer it and install using `pacman -U`

For your journal queries, read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Journal & https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … stemd-logs

Board footer