You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-29 22:46:10

dale6998

SSH authentication issue with Thunar: Can open individual files but ca

I have a server that I SSH into all the time. I have SSH keys set up, but I'm noticing a strange behavior with video files that I'm trying to edit with VLC.

As most know, with a program like Thunar, you can open individual files with VLC by double clicking in Thunar and you can also drag a selection of files onto a running instance of VLC to add them to a playlist on the fly.

This works as expected with local files on the localhost.

However, when browsing the remote server with Thunar, I'm able to open individual files with VLC by double clicking a single file, no problem…

But, when I try to drag and drop a bunch of files into a running instance of VLC, I get a prompt that reads:

Please enter a valid login and password for the sftp connection to the server
Nothing I enter is accepted, even my remote username and password.

Why is this? Why can I open an individual file, but can’t seem to drag and drop many files to a running instance of VLC?

I have an alias for ssh set up for this server...So, the port is not 22, and normally 'ssh server' in the cli would just log me in, nothing to it....I can do the same thing in Thunar...When I open a single file, it works fine...When I drag and drop, it asks for sftp authentication, fails, and produces an error.

Here's a copy of my VLC log:

sftp://server/mnt/media/TV/<redacted>
core debug: net: connecting to server port 22
core error: connection failed: Connection refused
sftp error: Impossible to open the connection to server:22
core debug: no access modules matched
core error: open of `sftp://server/mnt/media/TV/<redacted> failed
core debug: finished input
core debug: dead input
core debug: changing item without a request (current 2/3)
core debug: nothing to play
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input

However, if I log into the server with the full explicit name AND the port, like "ssh://foo@192.168.1.90:12345~/" , and I do the same procedure, it fails with this VLC log:

core debug: net: connecting to 192.168.1.50 port 22222
core debug: connection succeeded (socket = 23)
sftp debug: Unable to check the remote host
sftp error: Unable to open the remote file /mnt/media/TV/<redacted>
core debug: no access modules matched
core error: open of `sftp://dale@192.168.1.50:22222/mnt/media/TV/<redacted> failed
core debug: finished input
core debug: dead input
core debug: changing item without a request (current 2/3)
core debug: nothing to play
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input

Last edited by x33a (2016-07-30 16:01:23)

#2 2016-07-30 15:17:40

Awebb

Re: SSH authentication issue with Thunar: Can open individual files but ca

1. Please use code tags for your output.

2. I'd never say I'd see the day, but I'm actually going to say this and I already feel old for it, but could you please possess the decency to edit out the names of the release groups that pirated your warez?

3. The drag and drop somehow swallows the port. You also confused ssh:// with sftp:// in your dry run and produced a false negative. Run Thunar in a terminal window and observe the different output while double clicking and drag&drop.

#3 2016-07-30 16:03:04

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: SSH authentication issue with Thunar: Can open individual files but ca

@dale6998,

We don't allow discussion or reference to pirated material. I have redacted the file names from your post. Please be careful in the future.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … licitation

Board footer