You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-18 13:48:11

iBertus

Promise PDC20579 SATA/RAID controller

I'm trying to get the piece of shit working with Linux, but haven't had any luck. I'm not sure which Promise add-on cards use this chip as this one is built into my mobo, where it provides 2-SATA and 1-PATA port. I'm using the PATA with 2 drives (160GB, 60GB) and I don't want to setup a RAID array, but just use it as an extra IDE controller.

The BIOS detects the drives correctly but linux doesn't recognize the Promise controller, so it's not assigning device nodes for the drives (no hd* or sd*) and I can't seem to make it work. The correct kernel module, according to the net, is sata_promise, but I'm not certain it supports the PATA part of the controller. When loaded, it prints info about the connected drives to dmesg, but never assigns device nodes.

#2 2006-05-19 19:03:16

iBertus

Re: Promise PDC20579 SATA/RAID controller

Okay, so I found a patch in the Red Hat kernel mailing list that seems to work. It patches the sata-promise module to attempt to detect PATA ports when nothing is connected via SATA. I don't have any SATA discs so I cannot check to see if it breaks anything in regards to SATA.

If anyone else is interested, I'll strip the RH specific stuff from the patch and submit it to the Arch kernel devs for review. Not sure if enough people would find is useful tho.

Board footer