You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-29 20:24:41

wdemoss

anybody interested in selinux?

Just wondering if anybody is interested in using SELinux in AL? For anybody who doesn't know what SELinux is go to http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/ Is this considered against AL's KISS policy?

I would be interested in contributing to development of this if the main Archers consider it worth while (meaning if it would ever be considered to be included).

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#2 2004-03-01 01:01:53

dp
Website

Re: anybody interested in selinux?

National Security Agency?
what country is it "national" of? remember, that opensource is (mostly) not political

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-03-01 02:22:52

wdemoss

I wasn't being political, and I may be naive (well, probably am naive big_smile ), but I don't think it was developed for political reasons.  I imagine, like almost all kernel development, someone had a need not met by the linux  as it currently was, and developed the modules to fulfull that need. It just so happend that the person having the need for this project was the NSA.

But could be wrong, not ment to offend anyone.
-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#4 2004-03-01 03:13:42

contrasutra

I would love to play around with selinux. Security really interests me. I don't have any experience with selinux though, so I wouldn't be able to help anyone set it up.

1. Its open source, so who cares what country made it, it's all GPL, so there's no fear in using it.

2. Open source not political? Ha! Open Source was started for 100% political reasons. UNIX was already around and good, RMS just wanted a FREE implementation because he was politically opposed to closed source code.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2004-03-01 03:15:23

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I looked into doing that already.  You'd have to supply more than just the kernel, a bunch of packages need patches too.  It's not a drop in replacement, so I didn't look any further.

I think having it as an option is a good thing though and still goes along with arch's ideas.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer