You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-15 12:07:39

bmb

Network devices gone after update [SOLVED]

I am running arch in a virtualbox machine. I have two network "cards" set up with custom names (as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … vice_name)
I ran an update today (previous update was probably less than a week ago) and since have no network devices other than the loopback device listed in either `ip link` or `ls /sys/class/net`. What can I try?

Thank you
Baruch

Last edited by bmb (2016-08-16 06:29:30)

#2 2016-08-15 12:11:45

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Network devices gone after update [SOLVED]

Compare the version numbers returned by uname -a and pacman -Qi linux   (assuming you are running the stock kernel)
I bet they don't match.  It probably means the kernel was upgraded while the boot partition was not mounted on /boot

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-08-15 12:15:11

bmb

ewaller wrote:

Compare the version numbers returned by uname -a and pacman -Qi linux   (assuming you are running the stock kernel)
I bet they don't match.  It probably means the kernel was upgraded while the boot partition was not mounted on /boot

uname says 4.7.0-1-ARCH
pacman says 4.7-1

If this is not the same (is it?) how do I fix this? And what caused this?

#4 2016-08-15 12:29:07

ewaller
Administrator

No, that is actually correct. the -1 really does not count, so the Installed kernel is 4.7.   Those happen to be the exact values of this system running on pare metal.
As a sanity check, what do they show up in the output of lspci inside the VM?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-08-15 13:01:01

bmb

ewaller wrote:

As a sanity check, what do they show up in the output of lspci inside the VM?

I assume you mean the lines regarding the ethernet controller? Both say:

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

#6 2016-08-15 13:25:05

dvh

while I do not have custom names setup, I am having a very similar problem after an update yesterday.  network device eth0 does not exist, and so my boot process  waits for 90 seconds while waiting for something like sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device to respond.  the device never responds, so after boot completes, 'ip link' shows only the lo interface.  'lspci' finds an intel ethernet device as always.  I cannot access my VM right now, so I don't know if my 'uname -a' and 'pacman -Qi linus' match.  so I have two questions...if they do not match, how can this be fixed given I cannot access the web, and...if they do match, what else can I try?

#7 2016-08-15 13:27:40

bmb

dvh wrote:

while I do not have custom names setup, I am having a very similar problem after an update yesterday.  network device eth0 does not exist, and so my boot process  waits for 90 seconds while waiting for something like sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device to respond.  the device never responds, so after boot completes, 'ip link' shows only the lo interface.  'lspci' finds an intel ethernet device as always.

This is the exact symptoms I am having. But isn't eth0 a custom name? By default udev assigns names such as enp0s3 or something like that

#8 2016-08-15 13:53:44

dvh

eth0 may be a custom name, but I did not take any action to make it so.  I have had this arch linux VM for several years, and through that time, the network control stuff has all been reworked, so something or some configuration could be remaining from legacy code?   also, when this problem popped-up yesterday, I looked in /dev for ANY devices which look like 'eth0' or 'en*' or any other udev default.  I found none.  if udev found a device and assigned a name, where would I find that 'device'?

#9 2016-08-15 14:06:12

Scimmia
Fellow

eth0 is the name the kernel gives it. udev renames it later.

It sounds like there may be a problem with the driver for that card, try changing the adapter type in the VB settings.

#10 2016-08-15 14:14:58

dvh

OK, I will try that, but I don't think the driver is the problem.  'lspci' shows the device, and 'lsmod' shows an 'e1000' entry, which is the appropriate module for the (virtual) intel NIC.  I did not change anything in the VB settings (for years) but I did update (pacman -Syu) both the host and my VM guest, so it is possible that something in the VB-provided drivers is wacked.

#11 2016-08-15 14:17:18

dvh

Baruch...which ethernet card are you selecting in your VB settings for this VM?

#12 2016-08-15 14:19:45

bmb

dvh wrote:

Baruch...which ethernet card are you selecting in your VB settings for this VM?

It says "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)" for both adapters.
I didn't "select" it, it was the default. And I didn't change it since I created the machine a couple of months ago.

#13 2016-08-15 14:27:08

dvh

yeah, that's the same one I am using.  I will try (later today) to select another option to see if it makes a difference.  you could do that now if you have access to your machine

#14 2016-08-15 22:29:50

labichn

I had the same issue earlier today after the first reboot after an update--my wireless LAN had been soft blocked (though I don't know why or how). I saw the same symptoms with the same kernel.

What is the output of `rfkill list` for you? If anything is listed as blocked, run `rfkill unblock` on it.

Last edited by labichn (2016-08-16 01:34:10)

#15 2016-08-16 06:27:56

bmb

I solved this in the end by downloading from a different computer updated virtualbox-guest-*, util-linux and libutil-linux packages, putting them into the VM via shared folders (which thankfully I had previously set up) and then installing them via pacman -U. I don't know which of these caused the problem (I just took anything that looked likely from the list of new packages since the "bad" update), but it now works.

#16 2016-08-16 13:59:09

dvh

nice that you have your system working.  mine has regressed.  given the hints regarding mismatching kernels, I tried to rebuild my kernel to see if there were any issues with the build.  during the rebuild (pacman -S linux) MANY segfaults were thrown, but the process continued.  result is that I now have a completely unbootable VM, so the produced kernels (primary and fallback) were crap.  fails immediately upon exit from the boot screen.  now I need to figure a way to mount my vmdk file outside of VB and try to recover data.  maybe I can plant working kernel images into the /boot while I am mounted?

#17 2016-08-19 19:34:38

Ronin324

bmb wrote:

I solved this in the end by downloading from a different computer updated virtualbox-guest-*, util-linux and libutil-linux packages, putting them into the VM via shared folders (which thankfully I had previously set up) and then installing them via pacman -U. I don't know which of these caused the problem (I just took anything that looked likely from the list of new packages since the "bad" update), but it now works.

Baruch

I have the exact same problem. I am running Arch in a virtual box with the same network card and I lost my eth0 device in the update. Did you update all the virtualbox-guest packages by hand or only a few? I run linux more as a hobby so if you could walk me through your solution I would appreciate it.

I was able to figure it out. Persistence sometimes pays off but thanks for the solution.

Last edited by Ronin324 (2016-08-20 00:46:05)

#18 2016-08-21 06:55:45

bmb

Ronin,

Sorry I couldn't answer in time to help you. For future searchers: I upgraded them all (only 2 in my case)

#19 2016-08-22 23:17:19

Ronin324

bmb wrote:

Ronin,

Sorry I couldn't answer in time to help you. For future searchers: I upgraded them all (only 2 in my case)

All part of the fun with Linux.

Just thought I would post one other tip if anyone encounters this in the future. Pacman will tell you which virtual box guest packages work in your system when you try and install them. You will get a warning if the package is not compatible.

Board footer