You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-25 12:04:38

josephk
Website

how to enable Networkmanager privacy settings?

In lasts Networkmanager releases, we gained few privacy/security options to enable:
for ipv6: ipv6.ip6-privacy=2
for ethernet: ethernet.cloned-mac-address=random
for wifi:  wifi.cloned-mac-address=random

to enable them, you hae to fill these paramenters in /etc/Networkmanager/Networkamanger.conf

[connection]
ipv6.ip6-privacy=2
ethernet.wake-on-lan=0
ethernet.cloned-mac-address=random
wifi.cloned-mac-address=random

reference manual: https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkMana … .conf.html

Now the issues:
1- Checking connection status with nmcli I've discovered that ipv6 privacy is not honoured. Had to enable it with nm-conection-editor on per-connection basis to make it work.
2- Then, ethernet mac address randomization has the effect to never have a connection established.
3- Wifi mac randomization seems to cause failing wireless connections discovering.
4- Apart from all that, disabling wake on lan causes ethernet connection to not be established after suspend/resume. Have to disable lan, unplug, than to plug cable again.

So, thought it was simple as adding a line, but many issues occurred. Could you help?

#2 2016-08-29 12:51:19

ralessi

Re: how to enable Networkmanager privacy settings?

I have the same issues.  Besides, I noticed that from version 1.2 NetworkManager also discloses the hostname to the dhcp server.

Last edited by ralessi (2016-08-29 13:18:00)

#3 2016-08-29 13:16:42

ralessi

Re: how to enable Networkmanager privacy settings?

ralessi wrote:

I have the same issues.  Besides, I noticed that from version 1.2 NetworkManager also discloses the hostname to the dhcp server.

Sorry about that, I should have double checked.  I do not have the same issues: with the above settings in NetworkManager.conf, I could establish a connection to a public wifi spot with my MAC address fully randomized.

However, NM now discloses the hostname, which is a privacy issue.

Board footer