You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-26 14:44:34

kamelie1706

[SOLVED] Network service slowing down boot process

Hi,

When booting I got the a job stalling for 1min30

A start job is running for sys-subsystem-net-devices-net0.devices

when I checked the services I got only one fail message (not sure if related)

LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-vconsole-setup.service loaded failed failed Setup Virtual Console

My network is working perfectly on eth0 interface. I have no clue what this "net0" is.

When checking some more logs (journalctl -b | egrep "dhc")

systemd[1]: Dependency failed for dhcpcd on net0.
systemd[1]: dhcpcd@net0.service: Job dhcpcd@net0.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

I found one message related but did not solve
https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comm … ring_boot/

As a quick fix I have disabled it

systemctl disable dhcpcd@net0.service

Any idea how to check further what is causing that (which depency)?

Thanks

Last edited by kamelie1706 (2016-08-30 12:26:57)

#2 2016-08-26 16:16:43

alphaniner

Re: [SOLVED] Network service slowing down boot process

If disabling it fixed the problem then it was only running because it was enabled. If it were a dependency, it would be run regardless.

Could be something you did and forgot about while following a tutorial, or maybe something stupid done by some piece of software during operation or installation. A bogus dhcpcd service can be enabled without any complaints from systemctl:

# systemctl enable dhcpcd@Fan
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd@Fan.service → /usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd@.service.

If you did it manually, there should be a record in the journal of the privilege escalation (sudo or PolicyKit). Beyond that I don't know how to tell where it came from.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-08-26 16:44:02

kamelie1706

I would guess this did come with a package update as I did not make any manual change when it started to appear.

Based on what you explain the "dependency" warning is confusing as disabling the service worked ....

Last edited by kamelie1706 (2016-08-26 16:49:17)

#4 2016-08-26 16:54:26

alphaniner

The service fails with a dependency warning because it depends on net0, which in your case doesn't exist.

When I said it wasn't a dependency issue, I meant that another service wasn't trying to start dhcpcd@net0 as a dependency.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2016-08-26 18:17:04

kamelie1706

Thanks,

That said in more than 2 years using the system, archlinux has been the most stable system I ever used :-)

Board footer