You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-06 21:57:53

zacn

On installation no keyboard after root login

Using either USB or DVD installation of archlinux-2016-09-03-dual.iso on my new laptop (Clevo N350DW board) the installation proceeds normally but when I get to the root archiso login my LAPTOP keyboard does not work. When I use a Manjaro live DVD (manjaro-xfce-16.06.01-x86_64.iso) I get the same result. Using Linux Mint (linuxmint-18-mate-64bit.iso) everything works fine and I have use of my LAPTOP keyboard and mouse.

The archlinux USB and DVD work OK on my desktop machine and on an old netbook (Samsung NC10). The iso file checksum was good.

If I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and boot the archlinux iso then, again, the keyboard does not work after I get to the root login. If I do the same with the Manjaro live DVD then I have the use of both the USB keyboard and the USB mouse.

Similar problems seem to have been encountered many time with arch linux:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=212647
            https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=186389
            https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=175844

without any general solution.

I really want to use arch linux on my new laptop.

Given the above could anyone suggest how I might go about investigating my problem in search for a solution?

#2 2016-09-07 19:57:06

alphaniner

Re: On installation no keyboard after root login

My only suggestion would be try to find a way to test the LTS kernel. The easiest solution I know if is to install to your intended media on another machine, move the media to the laptop, and boot the laptop using the fallback image.

OTOH it may be easier to do a 'real install' of Arch to a 2GB+ USB thumb drive with linux-lts and arch-install-scripts installed. If the lts kernel boots successfully, install. If not, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But at least you have the USB which if updated from time to time can come in handy.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2016-09-07 20:32:27

ewaller
Administrator

zacn wrote:

If I plug in a USB keyboard and mouse and boot the archlinux iso then,

Have you tried booting, then connecting the USB keyboard?  (Not joking, USB keyboards have a legacy mode is enabled prior to booting.  After booting, it should connect as HID device)

Edit: BTW, this is just a temporary work around so we can diagnose the built in keyboard

Last edited by ewaller (2016-09-07 20:33:14)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-09-08 18:31:40

zacn

Thanks ewaller, plugging in a USB keyboard after I get to the root login works. I now have a working input - what do I do next?

#5 2016-09-08 19:18:03

alphaniner

In some BIOSes, there is a 'Legacy USB Support' option or such. I previously thought it was for legacy devices, but based on ewaller's post I guess it means legacy mode. You could see if your BIOS has such an option and if it can be disabled. Still just a slightly better workaround, but it might be worth a try. While it seems unlikely, maybe your built-in kbd is on the USB bus and this would allow you to use it.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2016-09-08 22:31:05

zacn

Thanks Alphaniner, My 'BIOS' is UEFI and there is no sign of a "Legacy USB Support" option.

Board footer