You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-09 20:39:43

mepstein

[SOLVED] Issues when switching from wired to wireless

I'm running Arch Linux with Cinnamon on my laptop and I'm having some issues when I switch from wired to wireless.  I'm not certain it's a networking issue, but that's a good first guess.  It's not that I can't connect with wireless, it's that some things stop working.

Here's how I first noticed this: I'd be on a wired connection, everything working fine, I'd go to a meeting, switch to wireless, and after my screensaver would go on, the dialog box to enter my password would not appear.  And apparently lots of other things don't work either -- most things I try to start up from the Menu (browsers, terminals, etc.).  Terminals that are already open work fine.  But if, say, I try to start an xterm from an existing terminal window, I get:

No protocol specified
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0

I found this post: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 36#p684936, and tried what it said there, and that seemed to work for a while.  But it no longer does (and besides, I don't know what hostname I'm going to get with wireless, so it's not a good general solution).  My /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManger.conf is now back to the basic one, i.e.:

[main]
plugins=keyfile
dns=default

Any ideas what the problem/fix is?  Thanks!

Last edited by mepstein (2016-09-12 17:26:00)

#2 2016-09-12 17:23:20

mepstein

Re: [SOLVED] Issues when switching from wired to wireless

Based on some things I found in some searches related to this, I added the file /etc/hostname on my system (it didn't exist previously), and that seems to have fixed the problem.  (I also made some minor fixes to my /etc/hosts, but that didn't seem to do anything -- although I suppose it's possible that those changes were also required.)

Board footer