You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-12 13:55:57

kgizdov
Package Maintainer (PM)

[SOLVED] Trouble with Handshake Timeout

Hi,

I'm having this weird problem with Eduroam. If you don't know what that is - https://www.eduroam.org/

My problem is the following. I am visiting another institution and it seems the auth request times out for some reason. I have to try and reconnect many many times in order to get connected. What is also really strange is that my Android phone seems to be able to connect absolutely fine, first try.

I have tracked the issue down to possibly two thing - very low 4-way handshake timeout on the AP side or network certification issue. And this is where I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to try and increase the 4-way handshake timeout so that I can test what is happening. If my Android connects fine, then this must be platform dependent, because all settings are the same. But I have tested my laptop in many other institutions and have never experienced this issue. So it must be some combination of my laptop and the local infrastructure.

Is there are way to force APs to have longer auth timeout and if that's not the issue, is there a way to test if the auth request fails itself. dmesg doesn't seem to be of help and NetworkManager's logs and configs do not go in the appropriate detail.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by kgizdov (2016-09-14 13:20:17)

#2 2016-09-12 14:19:48

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble with Handshake Timeout

If you want to get to the bottom of the problem you should connect manually with wpa_supplicant and a dhcp client so that you can see all the warning/error messages.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-09-14 13:19:57

kgizdov
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: [SOLVED] Trouble with Handshake Timeout

Thanks. That worked. It turns out the 4-way handshake fails because of a timeout following slow propagation of credentials. Infrastructure issue...

Board footer