You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 16:44:31

joel9000

Wifi - Make arch pretend to be android?

I am having trouble maintaining a connection to the main wifi network in town, which happens to be google-starbucks. I'll try describing how the network seems to be acting first.

* No Google Starbucks SSID visible until wifi-menu has been run a couple of times.
* Connection made successfully the first time
* Connection dropped after a few minutes
* Connection can be made again with wifi-menu but will be dropped immediately
* When people are walking into and out of the store all the time, connection is much more unstable.

My thoughts, (maybe wrong):
* There might be some sort of secret handshake that "real" operating systems know to make. Rather than using wifi-menu, maybe I could set up Network Manager to make this?
* In some manner, I am not making my own connection, but rather am piggybacking on the connections that cell phones are making as people walk in and out of the store.

Haven't tried contacting Google or Starbucks, but my past experience with things like this is that businesses aren't too much into supporting OS's beyond the mass market. Googling hasn't taken me anywhere at all.

#2 2016-10-11 16:50:49

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Wifi - Make arch pretend to be android?

Welcome to Arch Linux.
This is a classic XY problem.

So, it sounds like you are using netctl to control your wifi.  Is anything else also trying to control your wifi?

What is the output of find /etc/systemd  ?

My thoughts, (maybe wrong):
* There might be some sort of secret handshake that "real" operating systems know to make. Rather than using wifi-menu, maybe I could set up Network Manager to make this?
* In some manner, I am not making my own connection, but rather am piggybacking on the connections that cell phones are making as people walk in and out of the store.

No, and no.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-10-12 02:43:35

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Agreed that this sounds basically like an xy problem. You'll want to upgrade your topic title, what you're really trying to do is connect to an SSID that appears to you to be behaving finicky. The reason you're specifying 'android' is likely because your phone has no issue connecting?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2016-10-12 14:03:38

joel9000

My tablet has no difficulty connecting. No one with Windows or Mac has any difficulty connecting. I am the only person with any apparent problem. I can connect fine using the same approach at home with no disconnects at all. My current belief is that this router silences itself when it is idle, and runs something like a proxy server. Everything worked fine here until about three months ago when there was some sort of upgrade.

find /etc/systemd

/etc/systemd
/etc/systemd/coredump.conf
/etc/systemd/network
/etc/systemd/system.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-upload.conf
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-remote.conf
/etc/systemd/logind.conf
/etc/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/postgresql.service.d
/etc/systemd/system/postgresql.service.d/start.conf
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/acpid.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/iptables.service
/etc/systemd/user
/etc/systemd/user.conf
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
/etc/systemd/logind.conf.pacnew

#5 2016-10-12 14:14:14

ewaller
Administrator

Two things.  First, it looks like you have some *.pacnew files on your system.  In general, you will want to clean those up by merging them with the files to which you have made modifications.  Second, you are using wifi-manager, but not netctl.  This means you use wifi-menu each time?   You really should configure and enable netctl-auto for your wireless NIC.  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netctl

Or, use NetworkManager (although I loath it) or systemd-networkd (my preference)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer