You are not logged in.

#2901 2016-10-08 08:13:05

kikislater

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

Seems to be good to make an AUR package, no ?

#2902 2016-10-08 12:18:01

ibones

i cant compile nux package because there's a error with glewmx, arch repos has glew 2.0 and i think is not compatible, i try to compile glew1.13 package from the aur but the problem is still being the same.
BTW gsettings-qt and dee-qt depends on qtchooser, and qtchooser was removed from the repos https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ta … le_anymore

#2903 2016-10-09 04:47:59

horsemanoffaith

kikislater wrote:

Seems to be good to make an AUR package, no ?

Not yet. I still need help from all of you to make sure that Unity is working correctly. If I get can get some feedback from people telling me how things are working (or not working) and everything stays stable (which probably won't be long, because GNOME 3.22 will probably be out soon), then I can add it to the AUR. For the time being, I'm going to leave it the way it is. I know it's time-consuming and a pain to build it from source, but my guess is we'll only have another month or two before all the GNOME 3.22 packages are out.

#2904 2016-10-09 04:59:40

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:

i cant compile nux package because there's a error with glewmx, arch repos has glew 2.0 and i think is not compatible, i try to compile glew1.13 package from the aur but the problem is still being the same.
BTW gsettings-qt and dee-qt depends on qtchooser, and qtchooser was removed from the repos https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ta … le_anymore

ibones, thanks for letting me know about qtchooser. I had no idea it was removed. I rebuilt both dee-qt and gsettings-qt on my system without qt-chooser, and Unity is still running correctly. I will be updating my Github repo (https://github.com/horsemanoffaith/Unity-for-Arch) as soon as I'm able with the corrected PKGBUILDs.

For nux, I had to downgrade glew to 1.13 (using downgrade from the AUR), build the package, then upgrade glew back to 2.0. I also installed glew1.13 (from the AUR) onto my system, because Unity doesn't work without it. I assume that future releases of nux will be built without glewmx support, but that will be in Ubuntu's upcoming 17.04 release, because 16.10 is frozen.

I tried installing glew1.13 from the AUR and building nux, but for some reason nux fails to build, complaining that glewmx is missing. I'm not sure why that's the case, and the package maintainer for glew1.13 has not answered my question. It does provide the needed libraries, but nux still complains that the package is missing.

#2905 2016-10-09 05:16:57

horsemanoffaith

Yesterday I thought I had nautilus-ubuntu whipped and working correctly. I found an issue that was a real pain- if you opened Nautilus, the file manager would open a window, but the arrows that show that Nautilus is open on the launcher don't show up, and if you minimize the window, it was pretty much the same as closing it. If you had a window over the Nautilus window, you couldn't use the launcher to switch- you literally had to minimize the window you're working in so you could see the Nautilus window. That made all the PKGBUILD editing I was doing a real headache. I have gotten it working correctly at the moment, but I'm still testing the PKGBUILD to get it as close as I can to the Ubuntu version without getting the no background/black background issue. Once I get this done, I will update the PKGBUILD on my Github page.

#2906 2016-10-09 16:09:14

ibones

Ibones, thanks for letting me know about qtchooser. I had no idea it was removed. I rebuilt both dee-qt and gsettings-qt on my system without qt-chooser, and Unity is still running correctly. I will be updating my Github repo (https://github.com/horsemanoffaith/Unity-for-Arch) as soon as I'm able with the corrected PKGBUILDs.

For nux, I had to downgrade glew to 1.13 (using downgrade from the AUR), build the package, then upgrade glew back to 2.0. I also installed glew1.13 (from the AUR) onto my system, because Unity doesn't work without it. I assume that future releases of nux will be built without glewmx support, but that will be in Ubuntu's upcoming 17.04 release, because 16.10 is frozen.

I tried installing glew1.13 from the AUR and building nux, but for some reason nux fails to build, complaining that glewmx is missing. I'm not sure why that's the case, and the package maintainer for glew1.13 has not answered my question. It does provide the needed libraries, but nux still complains that the package is missing.

i did it and i successfully compiled unity in my desktop but another problem appears, after logging with lightdm there's no topbar, no title bar and no wallpaper
http://imgur.com/vlHUIuC

what can be the problem?

Last edited by ibones (2016-10-09 16:38:45)

#2907 2016-10-09 23:32:18

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:

Ibones, thanks for letting me know about qtchooser. I had no idea it was removed. I rebuilt both dee-qt and gsettings-qt on my system without qt-chooser, and Unity is still running correctly. I will be updating my Github repo (https://github.com/horsemanoffaith/Unity-for-Arch) as soon as I'm able with the corrected PKGBUILDs.

i did it and i successfully compiled unity in my desktop but another problem appears, after logging with lightdm there's no topbar, no title bar and no wallpaper
http://imgur.com/vlHUIuC

what can be the problem?

Did you compile everything in order off my github page, or did you switch between my page and Chenxiaolong's? Also, when you compiled everything, did you have an up-to-date system?

#2908 2016-10-10 00:09:12

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Did you compile everything in order off my github page, or did you switch between my page and Chenxiaolong's? Also, when you compiled everything, did you have an up-to-date system?

i followed your order, i switch to chen's github just for gnome-screensaver ("01_no_autostart.patch" i think is missing) then i went back to your github

#2909 2016-10-10 02:49:59

horsemanoffaith

Oh nuts! Sorry about that- I didn't update the PKGBUILD on gnome-screensaver-ubuntu. I'll fix that now. I just re-built it, and it compiles correctly. I'll go over my other commits and make sure that I didn't miss anything.

#2910 2016-10-10 03:01:02

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

i followed your order, i switch to chen's github just for gnome-screensaver ("01_no_autostart.patch" i think is missing) then i went back to your github

Did you install glew1.13 from the AUR and upgrade glew to 2.0 after you built nux? You'll need both to get Unity working. I tried it with just one or the other, and it just doesn't work. If I can figure out how to get glew1.13 to install correctly and provide glewmx, I'll put glew1.13 into the build order. I will be updating nautilus-ubuntu here in a few minutes with the corrected build. It's working perfectly as far as I can tell. Also, there are quite a few new versions of the Unity-for-Arch packages, and I will be updating them soon- everything on my system seems to be working correctly.

One additional note- you need to build ubuntu-themes with the Yakkety repo sources to get the gtk3 themes working correctly. I will be adding that to the Unity-for-Arch build within the next few days. For the time being, you can find Ubuntu-themes in Chenxiaolong's Unity-for-Arch-Extra github page. You'll have to edit the PKGBUILD and put the Yakkety repo sources in there as well as updating the CHECKSUMs.

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2016-10-10 03:38:52)

#2911 2016-10-10 07:16:19

kikislater

They seem able to build it with glew 2 => https://github.com/shiznix/unity-gentoo/issues/147

#2912 2016-10-10 13:28:15

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Did you install glew1.13 from the AUR and upgrade glew to 2.0 after you built nux? You'll need both to get Unity working. I tried it with just one or the other, and it just doesn't work. If I can figure out how to get glew1.13 to install correctly and provide glewmx, I'll put glew1.13 into the build order. I will be updating nautilus-ubuntu here in a few minutes with the corrected build. It's working perfectly as far as I can tell. Also, there are quite a few new versions of the Unity-for-Arch packages, and I will be updating them soon- everything on my system seems to be working correctly.

One additional note- you need to build ubuntu-themes with the Yakkety repo sources to get the gtk3 themes working correctly. I will be adding that to the Unity-for-Arch build within the next few days. For the time being, you can find Ubuntu-themes in Chenxiaolong's Unity-for-Arch-Extra github page. You'll have to edit the PKGBUILD and put the Yakkety repo sources in there as well as updating the CHECKSUMs.

Yes,i did. I dont know why but i cant build unity package in my other desktop without glew1.13, if i upgrade to glew 2.0 it fails.

#2913 2016-10-10 16:51:50

horsemanoffaith

kikislater wrote:

They seem able to build it with glew 2 => https://github.com/shiznix/unity-gentoo/issues/147

I will look into it and see if I can do the same. Thanks for the pointer.

#2914 2016-10-10 16:57:05

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

Yes,i did. I dont know why but i cant build unity package in my other desktop without glew1.13, if i upgrade to glew 2.0 it fails.

Can you provide me with a list of the Unity-for-Arch package version numbers? You can send it to me via e-mail if you'd like. I know the package list is quite extensive.

#2915 2016-10-11 00:45:21

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Can you provide me with a list of the Unity-for-Arch package version numbers? You can send it to me via e-mail if you'd like. I know the package list is quite extensive.

check your mail.

#2916 2016-10-11 02:19:23

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

check your mail.

Got it. I don't see gtk2-ubuntu or gtk3-ubuntu. Gtk3-ubuntu is especially important. What version are you using?

Edit 1- I don't see geis, grail, gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu, indicator-datetime, libgeonames, libzeitgeist, zeitgeist. You can post the outputs here if you'd like.

I have NO idea where you got numix-themes- that's not in my build order... is that something you added for yourself?

Last edited by horsemanoffaith (2016-10-11 02:43:59)

#2917 2016-10-11 03:51:29

horsemanoffaith

Thanks for the input ibones. Please get the version numbers of the other packages to me so I can take a look at the other files. Most of what you have lines up with what I have. Many of the errors on the checksums were due to missing spaces or small errors. I have the ones you gave to me updated and they SHOULD be fixed. If you find any other issues, please let me know.

#2918 2016-10-11 09:46:48

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Got it. I don't see gtk2-ubuntu or gtk3-ubuntu. Gtk3-ubuntu is especially important. What version are you using?

Edit 1- I don't see geis, grail, gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu, indicator-datetime, libgeonames, libzeitgeist, zeitgeist. You can post the outputs here if you'd like.

I have NO idea where you got numix-themes- that's not in my build order... is that something you added for yourself?

gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu 3.21.2-2
gtk2-ubuntu 2.24.31-1
gtk3-ubuntu 3.20.8-1
geis 2.2.17.16.04.20160126-1
grail 3.1.0.16.04.20160125-1
indicator-datetime 15.10.16.04.20160406-1
libgeonames 0.2.16.04.20160426-1
zeitgeist-ubuntu 0.9.16-1
libzeitgeist 0.3.18-1

i just installed the numix-themes from the arch repos.

Last edited by ibones (2016-10-11 15:22:13)

#2919 2016-10-12 02:58:35

horsemanoffaith

kikislater wrote:

I'm not very familiar with Gentoo, but my guess is that what that edited line means is that glew has to be less than version 2.0.0. I have tried to pull glewmx out of the build and it results in a lot of errors, and my guess is Nux wouldn't work without it. I'm looking into how to point Nux to the glewmx library files so that I can add glew1.13 into the build for the time being, but until then the only option is to downgrade glew to 1.13, build nux, upgrade to 2.0.0, then install glew1.13 from the AUR.

#2920 2016-10-12 03:51:26

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu 3.21.2-2
gtk2-ubuntu 2.24.31-1
gtk3-ubuntu 3.20.8-1
geis 2.2.17.16.04.20160126-1
grail 3.1.0.16.04.20160125-1
indicator-datetime 15.10.16.04.20160406-1
libgeonames 0.2.16.04.20160426-1
zeitgeist-ubuntu 0.9.16-1
libzeitgeist 0.3.18-1

i just installed the numix-themes from the arch repos.

Did you try building Arch on a fresh install? I find that it's best to do that. It's not that you can't install Unity on an older Arch system, but when you build Unity you always want to have a fully updated system and clean, from-the-main-repos packages. That way you're building off the newest library files, and you're not inadvertently using special packages to build Unity off of.

All the package versions looked good. There were a couple that were higher versions than I had listed, but that's okay, because many of the most recently updated packages are on my machine and they work just fine.

Does lightdm-unity-greeter work correctly for you? Do all the indicators look correct? Once you log in is there a flash of a background, then everything goes black, or is it just black period? I see that you can start a terminal, which is good. In a terminal, try the following command:

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background active 

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons 

both should result in an true output. If either does not, set them to true by changing get to set, then adding true the end of the command. Example:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings.daemon.plugins.background active true 

If they are both true, then see if you can get a background by changing the show-desktop-icons to false by issuing the following command:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false 

If this gets you a background, you need to rebuild and reinstall nautilus-ubuntu and libnautilus-extension.

As far as Unity, the first thing I would try is run ccsm in a terminal and see if the Unity plugin is enabled. If it is not, enable it and see if that makes any difference. If the plugin is not enabled, sometimes Unity will start once you enable the plugin and close down ccsm. If Unity doesn't start once you do that, re-open ccsm and see if the plugin has remained enabled. I have seen it where I enable the plugin, but somehow it gets disabled, and I find that's usually a build error with compiz. If it remains enabled, but doesn't start Unity upon exit from ccsm, try starting Unity from the command prompt. You just type in unity. If Unity doesn't start, you'll usually get an error stating why is doesn't start. If Unity seems to start successfully, but you don't see the launcher and top bar, that's usually indicative of a build issue with compiz. If you try all of this and are unsuccessful, you can also do a compiz reset (compiz-reset in a terminal). That will reset compiz back to defaults, and will SOMETIMES fix Unity. MOST of the time, all this will do is reset everything, but will not start Unity. I usually have to go to a TTY and restart lightdm to really see if it works. Please try all of these and get back to me with the results.

#2921 2016-10-12 12:33:48

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

Does lightdm-unity-greeter work correctly for you? Do all the indicators look correct? Once you log in is there a flash of a background, then everything goes black, or is it just black period? I see that you can start a terminal, which is good. In a terminal, try the following command:

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.background active 

and

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons 

both should result in an true output. If either does not, set them to true by changing get to set, then adding true the end of the command. Example:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings.daemon.plugins.background active true 

If they are both true, then see if you can get a background by changing the show-desktop-icons to false by issuing the following command:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false 

If this gets you a background, you need to rebuild and reinstall nautilus-ubuntu and libnautilus-extension.

As far as Unity, the first thing I would try is run ccsm in a terminal and see if the Unity plugin is enabled. If it is not, enable it and see if that makes any difference. If the plugin is not enabled, sometimes Unity will start once you enable the plugin and close down ccsm. If Unity doesn't start once you do that, re-open ccsm and see if the plugin has remained enabled. I have seen it where I enable the plugin, but somehow it gets disabled, and I find that's usually a build error with compiz. If it remains enabled, but doesn't start Unity upon exit from ccsm, try starting Unity from the command prompt. You just type in unity. If Unity doesn't start, you'll usually get an error stating why is doesn't start. If Unity seems to start successfully, but you don't see the launcher and top bar, that's usually indicative of a build issue with compiz. If you try all of this and are unsuccessful, you can also do a compiz reset (compiz-reset in a terminal). That will reset compiz back to defaults, and will SOMETIMES fix Unity. MOST of the time, all this will do is reset everything, but will not start Unity. I usually have to go to a TTY and restart lightdm to really see if it works. Please try all of these and get back to me with the results.

yes. I did a fresh install.
lightdm-unity-greeter is fine.
Rebuilding nautilus fix the wallpaper problem.
I try enabling unity plugin in ccsm but when i re-open ccsm unity-plugin is disabled.
compiz.reset doesn't work. I get this error trying to start unity from the command prompt:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/unity", line 30, in <module>
    import xdg.BaseDirectory
ImportError: No module named 'xdg'

I rebuild compiz-ubuntu but nothing has changed

Last edited by ibones (2016-10-12 12:44:44)

#2922 2016-10-12 17:31:42

horsemanoffaith

I believe I have found the issue. My working version of unity is the Xenial package (7.4.0), and your version is the Yakkety version (7.5.0). I believe I committed 7.5.0 by mistake. Build Chenxiaolong's version of Unity and you should be good to go! I will update my Github page accordingly in the next couple of days. Please let me know if this works. Thanks for all your input ibones!

#2923 2016-10-12 17:39:59

horsemanoffaith

I think I have fixed the glew1.13 issue. I built glew-1.13.0 from a different source last night and found that neither the AUR version nor the version I found from a Google search worked. I modified the PKGBUILD a couple of times until I got a successful build of the package that allowed nux to build without glew1.13 from the AUR. I still want to rebuild nux using this new glew-1.13.0 package to make sure that nux will succesfully compile AND that Unity works with those libraries. There are Arch packages that depend on glew-2.0, but fortunately glew-1.13 and glew-2.0 coexist peacefully. If this works, I will be adding glew-1.13.0 to the build order.

#2924 2016-10-12 18:49:32

ibones

horsemanoffaith wrote:

I think I have fixed the glew1.13 issue. I built glew-1.13.0 from a different source last night and found that neither the AUR version nor the version I found from a Google search worked. I modified the PKGBUILD a couple of times until I got a successful build of the package that allowed nux to build without glew1.13 from the AUR. I still want to rebuild nux using this new glew-1.13.0 package to make sure that nux will succesfully compile AND that Unity works with those libraries. There are Arch packages that depend on glew-2.0, but fortunately glew-1.13 and glew-2.0 coexist peacefully. If this works, I will be adding glew-1.13.0 to the build order.

well, unity IS FINALLY WORKING XD
http://i.imgur.com/uV5XMTK.png
I rebuild unity package from chen's github, and is working.
btw horsemanoffaith thank for all your help, this has been a long long way to get unity working in arch, the new problem is gtk 3.22 sad

#2925 2016-10-12 19:20:02

horsemanoffaith

ibones wrote:
horsemanoffaith wrote:

well, unity IS FINALLY WORKING XD
http://i.imgur.com/uV5XMTK.png
I rebuild unity package from chen's github, and is working.
btw horsemanoffaith thank for all your help, this has been a long long way to get unity working in arch, the new problem is gtk 3.22 sad

Thankfully you can ignore GTK 3.22 and keep it at 3.20... until, that is, gnome updates to 3.22 in Arch... then it gets ugly....

Board footer