You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-20 11:55:22

fagus

ethernet connection ethernet-dhcp doesn't work

Hello

I'm a newbie and I have installed archlinux. I' ve tried to connect to the internet but it didn't work.
I have followed the instructions from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration . I did "sudo cp /etc/netctl/examples/ethernet-dhcp /etc/netctl/" and changed eth0 to enp4s0 (from ip a) in the copied file. Then I tried "sudo netctl start ethernet-dhcp" but this command doesn't work. (I want the system to connect to the internet on booting using the command "sudo netctl enable ethernet-dhcp"). It hangs and then I get the message: "Job for netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status "netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service"" and "journalctl -xe" for details."

Typing the command "systemctl status netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service" and "journalctl -xe" gives as output a lot of text with at the end in red: "[/usr/lib/systemd/netctl@.service:2] String is not UTF-clean, ignoring assignement: Networking for netctl profile enp4s0<EF><BF><BD>0".

Using "sudo dhcpcd enp4s0" works well though. I have also wifi-connection.

I have a BROADCOM ethernetcard with driver tg3. I 've done everything described under the Broadcom BCM57780-section on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … figuration .

I have tried for hours and read many post but can't find a working solution. Could anyone please help me? Thanks!

fagus

#2 2016-10-20 12:11:27

ayekat

Re: ethernet connection ethernet-dhcp doesn't work

fagus wrote:

It hangs and then I get the message: "Job for netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status "netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service"" and "journalctl -xe" for details."

Typing the command "systemctl status netctl@enp4s0\\xc30.service" and "journalctl -xe" gives as output a lot of text with at the end in red: "[/usr/lib/systemd/netctl@.service:2] String is not UTF-clean, ignoring assignement: Networking for netctl profile enp4s0<EF><BF><BD>0".

I don't use netctl, but it seems like you have accidentally entered some strange characters into your netctl profile. Check the file and see what comes after `enp4s0` in there.

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2016-10-24 11:42:31

fagus

Re: ethernet connection ethernet-dhcp doesn't work

[SOLVED] I've deleted the file /etc/netctl/ethernet-dhcp, then I copied it again. Now it works. Thanks

Board footer