You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-25 19:07:53

hugin

2 networks, one pc [SOLVED]

OK, I have an LAN in my house.  My laptop connects to this wirelessly.  No biggie, it works.  I also connect to the internet through dial-up.  also currently working.  what i would like to do is have my laptop on both networks at the same time.  As of right now I am connecting to my ISP through wvdial, and using the network-profiles to connect to my WLAN (as I somtimes go to my g/f's and use her wireless). 

When I try and be on both, only the WLAN works I can't resolve hostnames, nor ping ip's.  i've played with the resolv.conf to a proper DNS, not my wireless router. I have wvdial to check the default route, but i'm not sure if it's taking hold.  and for whatever reason wvdial doesn't re-write the resolve.conf, even though it's being run as root.  The device won't respond to anyone but root, but thats a different issue.

I'm hoping to find the easiest solution possible, preferably not using iptables, but will if i have to, or for all intents and purposes turning my laptop into a router, because i have no need or want to share the internet connection to the other PCs.  One of them has it's own modem, and the other (the main reason for the lan) has my music.  I just want to be able to listen to tunes and be on the internet at the same time. 

I don't need an exact solution, but a shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.   Thank You.

/jhs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#2 2006-05-28 15:58:45

Lone_Wolf

Re: 2 networks, one pc [SOLVED]

I thought about this, and MAYBE this can be done using the routing tables.

for the lan you would need something like this :

route add -net 192.168.10.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

replace 192.168.10.0 with the network your lan uses

The tricky part will be to get the internet access working.
the route you need for that will look like this :

route add default gw mdm

for mdm you need to put the device where your modem can be found, AND it needs to be recognized as a network device.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-05-29 04:42:56

hugin

Re: 2 networks, one pc [SOLVED]

I should have posted sooner, but i did get it working, and yes I did need to use the routing tables.  I just use

route add default dev ppp0

after I connect, and it works.  my wireless card works on dhcp, so i just told it not to re-write my resolv.conf. 

I just need to find a way to run that command once i get a valid ppp device.  but i'm sure i'll find it.   I'm calling this one SOLVED

Thanks for the input Lone_Wolf

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

Board footer