You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-20 21:38:31

3l_Di4bl0

Ping to router spikes up by a few hundreds every two or so minutes.

Basically title. Happens on my Windows partition if I reboot to it straight from Arch, but internet works fine there if I shut the PC down for the night and boot it into W10 after a "break", or at least that's what I've seen from my limited testing. Would love to know what's going on. Using a TP-LINK WN722N USB adapter, on a 2.4GHz network.

#2 2016-11-02 13:24:15

whoops

Re: Ping to router spikes up by a few hundreds every two or so minutes.

Sounds a bit like this?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153397
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42092

If you want to examine how bad your problem is, something like this might give you an idea:

sudo ping -AD router.ip | grep "time=[0-9]\{3,\}"

Personally, I can't recommend investing time into issues like the one you describe. Usually it's easier to just try to find a USB wifi adapter that is broken in ways that are less relevant to you (If there is one that isn't "broken" at all, I haven't found it).

Good luck!

Last edited by whoops (2016-11-02 13:24:57)

#3 2016-11-02 18:06:52

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The question here is, does it work fine with Arch? If it has problems only on windows that makes it a windows problem and we can't help.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2016-11-02 18:38:34

3l_Di4bl0

R00KIE wrote:

The question here is, does it work fine with Arch? If it has problems only on windows that makes it a windows problem and we can't help.

Nope, doesn't work on Arch.

whoops wrote:

Personally, I can't recommend investing time into issues like the one you describe. Usually it's easier to just try to find a USB wifi adapter that is broken in ways that are less relevant to you (If there is one that isn't "broken" at all, I haven't found it).

Dang, don't know if I should go for it or not. Would you mind explaining a bit more in-depth about what you did to the kernel's PKGBUILD? I want to know how hard it is before I dive into it. Also, that means I have to do this process again every time there's a kernel update, right? Never messed with custom kernels before.

#5 2016-11-02 19:14:19

whoops

First of all, I should make clear: the bug / topic I linked was only a wild guess. Your problem could be something entirely else.

3l_Di4bl0 wrote:

Would you mind explaining a bit more in-depth about what you did to the kernel's PKGBUILD?

There is not much depth to it, really... the PKGBUILD is well commented:

75-  # load configuration
76-  # Configure the kernel. Replace the line below with one of your choice.
77:  #make menuconfig # CLI menu for configuration
78:  #make nconfig # new CLI menu for configuration
79-  #make xconfig # X-based configuration
80-  #make oldconfig # using old config from previous kernel version
81-  # ... or manually edit .config

I uncommented / used menuconfig... no idea if the other ones are less infuriating / haven't messed around with my kernel in a long time.
( Actually using the menu you'll get during compilation + changing the config is the annoying part )

3l_Di4bl0 wrote:

I want to know how hard it is before I dive into it.

Easy enough to do it without preexisting experience, hard enough to regret it afterwards big_smile

Also, that means I have to do this process again every time there's a kernel update, right?

Yes. It seems like an annoying chore at first... but after a few months you get used to the idea of crushing the USB adapter with a hammer and that solves the problem.

Board footer