You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-08 17:21:26

ccpplinux

How to run X window on Arch Linux VPS and access it from local system

Hi all,
Recently I have purchased VPS from transip.eu and installed and configured Arch Linux on it. I have successfully installed and configured web server, database server and mail server on it. Now I want to install X window and all its components on this VPS and use them from my local system. Please note that on my local system I also use Arch Linux (that is why I have installed Arch Linux on my VPS). I want that X should run on VPS and I should be able to access it from my local system so that I can make use of applications installed on VPS such as geany, firefox, libreoffice, chromium etc from local system. Is it possible? If yes then how?

Best Regards ...

Pankaj Kumar

#2 2016-11-08 18:32:14

qinohe

Re: How to run X window on Arch Linux VPS and access it from local system

Yes, you can run X over LAN/WAN with the help of SSH,
See the SSH wiki.
You may want to experiment with 'Compression yes' in your sshd_config.

#3 2016-11-08 19:03:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'd say that what you want to use is a vnc server. Personal experience tells me that running X over the internet, even with compression, is not something you'd want to do.

Using a vnc server has the advantage that you can leave things running and disconnect or things will keep running if your connection drops. You can run the connection to the vnc server over ssh with compression but for me using a vpn feels more snappy, but one step at a time, ssh is the easiest way to start.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2016-11-08 19:17:35

ccpplinux

Thanks for suggestions. For security reasons I would not make use of X11Forwarding option through SSH. In the meantime I would like to know if there is a method using which I can set my local system in such a way that when I login to my local system then a particular folder of my VPS should automatically be mounted on local system in a local folder? In this way I will be able to directly save files and folders on my VPS without making use of SSH or SFTP.

Last edited by ccpplinux (2016-11-08 19:18:01)

#5 2016-11-08 19:22:19

qinohe

I don't see the security risk with a key based setup.

R00KIE wrote:

Using a vnc server has the advantage that you can leave things running and disconnect or things will keep running if your connection drops.

You can use tmux for that.
What am I thinking, you can't, not with tmux wink

Last edited by qinohe (2016-11-08 19:26:04)

#6 2016-11-08 19:39:20

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

ccpplinux wrote:

In the meantime I would like to know if there is a method using which I can set my local system in such a way that when I login to my local system then a particular folder of my VPS should automatically be mounted on local system in a local folder? In this way I will be able to directly save files and folders on my VPS without making use of SSH or SFTP.

For that you would most probably need a vpn (for security) and probably you want to look into 'man systemd.mount' specifically the part about automount.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer