You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-16 03:01:07

Izzette

Install self-signed SSL cert

I've got a self-signed SSL certificate in PEM format, I've put it everywhere, and run update-ca-trust as root, and it doesn't seem to get installed.  I've tried {/etc,/usr{,/local}/share}/ca-certificates{,/trust-source{,/anchors}}, and a few others.  I've tried naming *.pem, *.crt, and <openssl x509 -hash>.0.  Converting it to DER. blah blah blah blah blah.  So frustrated.  What am I doing wrong?

#2 2016-11-16 10:57:59

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Install self-signed SSL cert

What is the certificate meant for?

#3 2016-11-16 12:38:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It doesn't really matter where you put it, but whatever service is to use it needs to have a setting in it's configuration pointing to that file.  For example, cert files are listed in /etc/http/conf/extra/http-vhosts.conf for apache (if you are using vhosts).

But have you looked into letsencrypt and certbot?  I was (formerly) completely baffled by the whole process of getting and using CA certificates.  I spent many frustrating weeks trying to get and use a self-signed certificate only to realize as I learned more how pointless a self-signed cert really was.  Unfortunately at that time letsencrypt wasn't fully up and running and the only alternative was to pay some company and arm and a leg.

Now I use cerbot with a letsencrypt cert, and it really couldn't be easier.  Its actually much easier to get a proper cert through certbot than it is to create my own self-signed.

Of course, I could be totally misreading this, and perhaps you could mean you received a certificate from a third party for their service that they had self-signed.  If that's the case, ignore all the certbot/letsencrypt stuff, but the point that it depends on the process/service configuration still holds.  An example of this end is mbsync which would list certs in ~/.mbsyncrc.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-11-16 14:15:01

Izzette

Yeah, it's not my certificate, and it's not installed on my server; a third-party(-ish) service (web server) already uses it.  I want to install it primarily to remove the warning from my web browser, but less so to prevent a MitM attack.  Do I need to install some certificate for the key they signed it with instead, or something like that?  I did once use a self-signed cert on my own web server, and I think I managed to install that, so I'm very confused.

Last edited by Izzette (2016-11-16 14:15:33)

#5 2016-11-16 14:24:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

OK, then this is a browser configuration - what browser?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-11-16 14:33:42

Izzette

Actually, I think I may have figured out what was wrong, thanks anyways guys.

#7 2016-11-16 15:41:53

ewaller
Administrator

Izzette wrote:

Actually, I think I may have figured out what was wrong, thanks anyways guys.

Oh, come on tongue

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … way_street

Don't leave us hanging in suspense. This thread could be useful to the next person in this boat -- but, like way to many threads on the Internet, it is worthless unless you share the solution sad

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer