cfr

Reconfiguring nsswitch.conf for Avahi after changes to filesystem pkg

I have Avahi configured on my laptop and had changed the line

hosts: files dns myhostname

in nsswitch.conf to

hosts: files dns myhostname mdns4

Since updating Arch today changed nsswitch.conf, the original line now reads

hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns myhostname

Looking at the instructions on the wiki instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Avahi, I found the suggested line is

hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

However, this assumes the old default.

What should the line now be changed to to support Avahi? My current guess is that I want something like

hosts: files mymachines resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

since I almost certainly want the IPv4-only version, given the networks I use. However, I'm not sure if this is correct because I have an admittedly foggy idea of what this is doing.

I can't imagine why I was not already using the _minimal version as it seems very unlikely I need anything else. That's why I used the _minimal version in the new line I'm trying. But I am not sure if this addition is still required (but am reasonably sure something must be) or where it should be placed in the list of hosts.

Last edited by cfr (2016-12-10 22:46:26)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#2 2016-12-11 10:03:24

aexoxea
Website

Re: Reconfiguring nsswitch.conf for Avahi after changes to filesystem pkg

The Avahi page has now been updated to account for the new nsswitch.conf (thanks @nl6720). Like you, I was wondering how to properly merge the file after update. No issues with using the string there so far.

Board footer