You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-25 09:02:45

GrenRa

Unusual slow Internet with VPNC

I experience a slow behaviour of internet access (firefox) while using vpnc.
Always the first access to a domain is taking up to 60 seconds. Every other site in this domain then is as fast as usual.
Same behaviour appears in pinging the sites, though the delay is not as big.
I tried to change DNS-Server but to no avail.

Forum Search and Google get me no further. Any idea on how to narrow down the problem? I don't even know what data to provide.

Thanks in advance
Ralf

Edit:
"It occurs only with Archlinux (gnome) on my desktop computer. Linux Mint on the same desktop or Arch-Gnome on my laptop do not have this problem."

This is not true anymore. The problem is with Archlinux installation (Gnome or Plasma) and independent of the Hardware. KaOS (which is based on Archlinux), btw. works fine.

Last edited by GrenRa (2016-12-14 09:47:53)

#2 2016-06-17 12:30:06

GrenRa

Re: Unusual slow Internet with VPNC

The problem still persists.
I changed a lot of settings but to no avail. A really thorough search of Google showed nothing.
Can someone give me a handle, where I can dig deeper?

To better understanding: I use the VPN tunnel only for remote access to the stored files on my home network (usb stick on my fritzbox router).
I would prefer the internet connection not to be routed via vpn.

To be honest my understanding of network management are fairly limited.
I tried various IPv4 settings including different routes but achieved nothing.

Any ideas what to try next or how to deepen my understanding of the underlying concepts?

Thx

#3 2016-12-14 09:44:10

GrenRa

The problem is still there with Archlinux, now with Plasma Desktop instead of Gnome.

Recently I installed KaOS (based on Arch) and here the problem did NOT appear.

So I have a good comparison between these two installation. I checked a lot of settings (resolv.conf, vpnc.conf, settings in networkmanager-applet). Even the traceroutes are equal.
All available settings seem to be the same
At last I found a difference with the vpnc package version. KaOS is using vpnc 0.5.3.3-3 while Archlinux relies on a vpnc 0.5.3.svn550-1. But a binary comparison shows that the packages are identical despite the different naming.

At the moment I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

#4 2016-12-14 11:59:51

GrenRa

Looks like I have made a small progress.

It seemed, that the problem lies with the DNS resolving. After connecting to VPN, the DNS server order seemed to be ill chosen.
I rearranged them a bit, added a timeout option and write protected the /etc/resolv.conf to prevent reconfiguration.
Now, browsing within a vpn-connection is faster, though both ways (with or without vpn) are a bit slower than normal connection before.

Thanks for listening

#5 2016-12-14 13:49:44

x33a
Forum Fellow

Ha, seems like nobody had a suggestion for you.

Anyway, does the DNS server order vary between Arch and KaOS?

#6 2016-12-15 10:08:35

GrenRa

Actually yes!

Normal DNS order in /etc/resolv.conf without VPN is:

nameserver 213.216.0.2
nameserver 213.216.11.46
nameserver 192.168.1.1

for both systems. 213.216. being my local ISP's DSN.

Turning on VPN (vpnc) adds 192.168.xx.1 (being my home network) forwarding it to an open DNS

a) for KaOS at the beginning of /etc/resolv.conf
b) for Archlinux at the end of /etc/resolv.conf

This local DNS-Forwarding (xx) is 10 times faster (according to drill) than the rest.
I seem to recall, that only 3 entries for resolv.conf are valid, so the last (fast) forward entry has no effect.

In my case
- using vpn
- having my home network not being 192.168.1.1 but a different 3. qualifier
turning VPN on is leading to a configuration that doesn't work as expected.

To be honest: I am not really sure if I understood everything here correctly. After fiddling a bit I found that without VPN an OpenNIC Server seems to be the best solution, while with vpnc the local home net forwarding (192.168.nn.1) is best. KAOS can provide a decent change of orders on switching on/off, but Arch cannot.

Edit: Subscription

Last edited by GrenRa (2016-12-16 13:03:34)

Board footer