You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-19 15:28:16

darthearon

any arch limitations for server applications?

Does arch have any limitations on the number of cores it can utilize or the ram it can handle? I’m thinking of putting arch on a dell poweredge R710 that has 16 cores and 24GB of ram. I’ve tried hyperV with windows and esxi, both crashed frequently for me. I want something more stable.

Basically i would like to use it for samba, ftp, ssh, minecraft server(only for 4 people max at one time) and potentially pxe and DHCP later on. Is their anything I should know before going into this?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cya At The Table

#2 2016-12-19 16:26:47

brebs

Re: any arch limitations for server applications?

darthearon wrote:

both crashed frequently for me.

Do a stress test of the server, to try to find out *why* - could be faulty RAM, for example.

#3 2016-12-19 16:45:27

darthearon

Re: any arch limitations for server applications?

Thank you for the reply,

Ran system check with the bios utility, all the ram passed. (that was the first thing I thought of too). esxi was the only one to crash because of load. hyper v worked just fine except two problems.
1. it was windows
2. I frequently ran into an issue where the VM would lose permission to its own virtual disk. i would re add it with an icalcs command only to have it happen again in a few days.

I understand I should probably look more into how I could have gotten those options to work, but I was just kind of playing with hyperV and esxi since I used them at work and wanted more familiarity with the software.  I think I’m ready to put something more permanent on the server, not just home lab stuff.

Cya At The Table

Board footer